Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-22, 12:14 PM  
Lorelai

Cushion under hips for side lying (Miranda/CS)?

I've read vague references to this in old threads being a game changer, and I just watched a clip of season 12 where I can see Miranda has some kind of cushion under her hips during side lying moves. I'm wondering what exactly this is? I feel like this could really help me feel more comfortable for certain floor exercises regardless of instructor, but I'm not sure exactly to look for.

Ps sorry if I'm spamming with lots random questions.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 12:44 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Miranda uses a "hemmorhoid" cushion.

This past year I've been using a travel neck pillow. It works really well and takes the pressure off bony hips.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 12:56 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Miranda uses a "hemmorhoid" cushion.

This past year I've been using a travel neck pillow. It works really well and takes the pressure off bony hips.
I think you can get it off Amazon. I remember asking them a few years back and that is what the Customer Service rep told me.
Old 01-25-22, 01:17 PM  
happyladi

I checked, and both Amazon and Walmart I found many to choose from. They run in price between $23-$50. On the Walmart site, none were available in store (at least not at my small town store) but are available 2-3 day shipping. I’ve thought about getting one because my hips are bony (now if I’m on my stomach that’s another story!).
happyladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 01:24 PM  
Lorelai

Thank you! I've never felt like my hips are particularly bony, but it's definitely been feeling uncomfortable to do side lying positions on my laminate floor, even with a thick mat. I do have tender feeling IT bands so maybe that's part of it. Anyway, thanks again for clarifying exactly what it is she's using.

Old 01-25-22, 03:06 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
Thank you! I've never felt like my hips are particularly bony, but it's definitely been feeling uncomfortable to do side lying positions on my laminate floor, even with a thick mat. I do have tender feeling IT bands so maybe that's part of it. Anyway, thanks again for clarifying exactly what it is she's using.
I found my hemorrhoid cushion at CVS and I LOVE using it with all side lying work. The cover on mine zips off to wash. Side benefit is that it keeps you from rocking back as well.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 03:57 PM  
BunnyHop

The one I got is a fairly firm piece of foam. It really makes a difference.
Here's a link to the one I got on Amazon, Right now it's at $14.89 for a white one. That's what I got because it was cheap.
Old 01-25-22, 04:07 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Here's a link to the one I got on Amazon, Right now it's at $14.89 for a white one. That's what I got because it was cheap.
I have the same one! Huge game changer for me. My hips don't hurt and I seem to get in the proper position without much fuss.

I also bought yoga blocks that I use a riser for the floor stretches. Again, huge game changer. I use them to get down on the floor and back up in addition to sitting on them for the hamstring/groin stretches/quad stretches.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 05:52 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Thank you for the link! That price point is right up my alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I have the same one! Huge game changer for me. My hips don't hurt and I seem to get in the proper position without much fuss.

I also bought yoga blocks that I use a riser for the floor stretches. Again, huge game changer. I use them to get down on the floor and back up in addition to sitting on them for the hamstring/groin stretches/quad stretches.
I always kind of had yoga blocks on my radar for modifications but then I never could decide what to get and so I didn't.

Tags
cushion