Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-21, 12:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Occasionally, though, I've seen people who have something to contribute to a check-in, but they post apologetically because they call themselves lurkers or because they aren't members of that check-in. I wonder how many good posts have been lost to this idea.)
Agreed! I'm always amazed when VFers think there is some kind of formality to checkins, some official way that they need to join other than just to say hello (or certainly lurk if they prefer).

(And I hope everyone knows I was joking about the "rules" upthread, which is why I put it in quotes. )

I did do yoga today, so I'm shooting for today as my start date. I'll post details later.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-21, 03:43 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Okay, this will be my official check in post. Usually when I do sadhanas, I focus on asana (physical practice), but this one might be more of a mix of asana, meditation, and readings.

Here are my first 10 days, July 24 through August 2:

Day 1: Power Yoga for Happiness 2, Surf Edition - Twisted Sister
Day 2: Yoga: Altar of the Heart
Day 3: Yoga Journal (YouTube) - Standing Hip Openers with Baron Baptiste:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOoW5qlZ8Bc&t=447s
FILMED for YouTube: EIGHT IS ENOUGH
READING: From Voices of Insight, 2 chapters
Day 4: Yoga with Tim (YouTube) - 25 Morning Yoga Flow
MEDITATION: 14m, from Insight Timer
Day 5: Hatha Yoga Class (at the studio where I teach with my friend Carol)
READING: From Voices of Insight, intro to Part 3 plus 2 chapters
Day 6: Yoga For Hips, Hamstrings, and Lower Back with David Procyshyn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDQNqZMv1V0
MEDITATION: 7m, iRest Yoga Nidra from Insight Timer
Day 7: AM Yoga for Your Week - Standing Poses
FILMED for YouTube: NOT WORKING FOR THE WEEKEND
Day 8: Core Power (Baron Baptiste)
TAUGHT outdoor yoga class
Day 9: Coregeous (Jill Miller)
READING: From Voices of Insight, 1 chapter
Day 10:3-Week Yoga Retreat Deluxe DVD, Post-Workout Recovery
READING: From Voices of Insight, 1 chapter

I will start another post for my next 10 days.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-24-21, 06:55 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I’ll join in on Monday, away with family for the weekend. I will be doing a therapeutic focus….gentle yoga, MELT Method, reading, & meditation.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-21, 10:50 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I’m in as of today & will post my practices here

Day 1
~5 Day Qi Gong challenge: 20 min intro practice
~MELT: hip focused on my own
~MFML: chair stretch
Day 2
~MELT: Back, Hip, & Knee map
~Qi Gong challenge: Day 1
~Gentle seated leg & hip stretches on my own
Day 3
~Reading: finished The Secret Lives of Introverts - lots of food for thought!
Day 4
~MELT: hip & low back focus
Day 5
~Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga + Pilates: Mat workout
~MELT: low back, thigh, & hip focus
Day 6
~MFML: Love Your Back Gentle Yoga
Day 7
~MELT: Neck, shoulders, thighs, hips
~Youtube: Not Working for the Weekend Yoga - Thanks Beth!
Day 8:
~Gentle seated stretch hip & leg stretches
Day 9
~MFML: Forrest Morning Flow
~MELT: Upper Body Restore Map
Day 10
~MFML: Yin Yoga Quickly Find Calm

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 05:39 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Hi, everyone! Because I'd like to write at least a few lines about what I've done when I have the opportunity to write, I expect to post both

(1) my next post, a summary list, which will be linked to
(2) later posts with specific notes, which will prevent trying to fit maybe 40 days' worth of such material into a single post

I've made no grand plans for the next period, especially because I'll probably become busier again in August than I am now, but I'll be reclaiming my mat space (it's a long story), and I've already thought about options. (I also have something to read.)

- I've registered with Joyn because I like the philosophy there ("body-inclusive") and because their instructors have offerings (including many under "yoga") that interest me; in fact, my first few days so far have come from them. (My usual mat space has someone else's things in it; I've tried both of Joyn's current yoga nidra videos in bed, a chair set, and another video using the wall from my bed. I've actually never watched a chair yoga video before.)

- I actually haven't tried the YogiBethC channel yet but will probably do so soon!

- At least three asana sets from "paper" (two are short sequences from a library book, Yoga for Busy People by Dawn Groves, and the third was from a magazine website and maybe was published in printed form too) preferably done from memory.

- Sun salutations: I find them engaging and non-annoying when done at a comfortable speed, and when I use my mat again (sun salutations are the thing on this list that I would least want to do without a mat) I may experiment with doing them for a session. (I'm very hard to bore with mindful movement, for some reason, and I don't mind being hard to bore.)

- Yin yoga from online resources, perhaps incorporating some video options.

- Yoga nidra, following a number of possible procedures. (As mentioned, my first two sadhana days were yoga nidra from Joyn.)

- Meditation, various possible formats.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 05:43 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Summary list, with links to more specific posts about practices as I write them. (In other words, the links from this post will not be directly to online resources, but I'll try to link to "freely available" videos from these detailed posts. Joyn currently requires registration.)

Day
01 * 7/22, Thursday .. Joyn: "Meditation: Yoga Nidra Intention" (Anna Chapman) (detail post #1)
02 * 7/23, Friday ...... Joyn: "Meditation: Yoga Nidra for Destressing" (Anna Chapman) (detail post #1)
03 * 7/24, Saturday .. Joyn: "Have a Seat & Breathe" (Jessica Rihal) (detail post #2)
04 * 7/25, Sunday .... Joyn: "Rest as Resistance: A Restorative Snack" (Kate Mosher) (detail post #3)
05 * 7/26, Monday .... Joyn: "Ease the Burnout: Chair Flow for ALL" (Kate Mosher) (detail post #3)
06 * 7/27, Tuesday ... YogiBethC: YOGA CLASS FOR LAZY DAYS | Slow Gentle Floor Yoga | Gray Day Yoga || (detail post #4)
[updates soon]
07 * 7/28, Wednesday . YogiBethC: Mindfulness Meditation, Square (Box) Breathing with Visualization | YogiBethC - Learn to Meditate || (detail post later); all three poses from Joyn: "Rest as Resistance: A Restorative Snack" but without video, 5 minutes each
08 * 7/29, Thursday .. 15 minutes savasana
09 * 7/30, Friday ...... 15 minutes square breathing without video
10 * 8/01, Saturday .. yoga nidra (detail post later)
11 * 8/02, Sunday .... yoga nidra
etc.
40 * 08/30, Monday .... yoga nidra
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 07-26-21, 05:52 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Day
1 * 7/22 Thursday .. Joyn: "Meditation: Yoga Nidra Intention" (Anna Chapman)
2 * 7/23 Friday ....... Joyn: "Meditation: Yoga Nidra for Destressing" (Anna Chapman)

Both practices were just over 10 minutes, but despite a little doubt caused by the shorter times (I've done previous yoga nidra sessions of at least 15-20 minutes), I found both very relaxing, yet without falling asleep. They may be done sitting or lying (I did both while lying in bed--hence my note about falling asleep). The first concentrates on the breath, the second on moving the attention to body parts, with secondary elements too. I'll probably be revisiting them in the future and using bits as part of a mental toolbox for yoga nidra and related activities.

(There is what I consider quiet, unobtrusive electronic music. Anna is probably sitting there for most of the videos--I didn't preview them, obviously I didn't watch while doing the yoga nidra , and I haven't yet reviewed them just for the sake of telling you what happens on screen. )

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 07-26-21, 06:33 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Okay, this will be my official check in post. Usually when I do sadhanas, I focus on asana (physical practice), but this one might be more of a mix of asana, meditation, and readings.

Here are my first 10 days:

Sat 7/24 Power Yoga for Happiness 2, Surf Edition - Twisted Sister
Sun 7/25 Yoga: Altar of the Heart
Mon 7/26
Tue 7/27
Wed 7/28
Thu 7/29
Fri 7/30
Sat 7/31
Sun 8/1
Mon 8/2
Beth, I just learned of your Youtube channel and I love it! Well done and congratulations!
Old 07-26-21, 08:40 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Helen, thanks so much! I started it at the start of the pandemic and have been able to keep up, although I only post new videos every 1-2 weeks. I'm hoping to do another one today, and I also take requests if there is anything you'd like to see!

Henry, I'm honored that you plan to try my channel an interested to hear what you think. Thanks for sharing the Joyn site; I'd never heard of it, and it looks great! I saw that you have to register but that it says it's "free" - is it really free, or do you have to put down a credit card/do a free trial only?

I'm thinking about doing this practice with Baron Baptiste today, although I might wind up picking something else:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOoW...index=1&t=436s

And this looks like a nice somatic yoga practice using a chair if anyone is interested in that (I haven't tried it yet; there's a lot on my Watch list!):
https://youtu.be/LGxNf7MOuyc

Happy Monday!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-26-21, 09:54 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm thinking of joining in. Perhaps from a more spiritual place - meditation?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sadhana, vf sadhana