Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-26-21, 02:20 PM  
SandyO

August Thread...

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231459

Another year is flying by.
Old 07-27-21, 08:03 AM  
buffmama

First race of the series last night. It was a hot one. Good thing we were running at the beach! Part boardwalk, part fields, part parking fields. No fee to park (yeah!). Just shy of 1800 people meant running in a pack. Turns out I don't like when the running groups have a big presence - it makes me as a single runner feel less than. It was hard to get around people at a few points and it seemed quite a few people started further up than they should have. I started too far back and will move up next week. I ran very steady and easy for most of it and pushed for the last 1/3 of a mile. I have no idea of what pace I am running only how it feels. Buffboy says that's a problem. I think I am blessed to simply continue to be able to go out and run. But a 7PM start time is not my thing. And why are the shirt colors ugly the year I do races when they had great colors in the past?! Grrr....

Sandy - A 2 hour run?! Oh my.
Old 07-27-21, 10:48 AM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
First race of the series last night. It was a hot one. Good thing we were running at the beach! Part boardwalk, part fields, part parking fields. No fee to park (yeah!). Just shy of 1800 people meant running in a pack. Turns out I don't like when the running groups have a big presence - it makes me as a single runner feel less than. It was hard to get around people at a few points and it seemed quite a few people started further up than they should have. I started too far back and will move up next week. I ran very steady and easy for most of it and pushed for the last 1/3 of a mile. I have no idea of what pace I am running only how it feels. Buffboy says that's a problem. I think I am blessed to simply continue to be able to go out and run. But a 7PM start time is not my thing. And why are the shirt colors ugly the year I do races when they had great colors in the past?! Grrr....

Sandy - A 2 hour run?! Oh my.
It's a trail run, so I'm probably not moving much faster than some people walk. I did two hours last week, but this week was a drag. There are enough miles of trail that I don't repeat, but at any time, I'm probably at most 15 minutes from the car, so it's tempting to quit. That was good about Murphy Hanrehan. I'd park at the far end, run to the opposite end, and then have to make it back to the car. Mentally that was easier.

I run by feel. I go fast enough to have a hard time breathing but not wheezing and coughing up crap when I get home. At that pace my legs and heart are fine. Well you have more races and will gain more knowledge each week. What color is ugly?
Old 07-27-21, 11:39 AM  
Vantreesta

I am so over all this heat and sunshine. I've done well keeping with the running this summer despite it but we haven't been walking much bc Cyric hates the heat even more than I do and it's not like there's a good way to know if he is really too hot or just doesn't wanna. But my mental health needs longer walks and nicer weather and he has been pretty blah and lethargic.

I didn't track goals and habits for this month and have started feeling lost so I'm ready to get back at it next month. I think I did need the little break from it but ready to move on. I've been wasting too much time online and still not even posting! I can't seem to get my head around actually replying to posts.

Last night's 3 mile run was rough. It was still 79 degrees at 8:30 and humidity was 70% so real feel was 82 and there wasn't much breeze. I apparently overstretched my hamstrings in triangle pose earlier in the day (even though I did use a block) so btwn that and the longer run I'm kind of hurting today, plus I don't think I did rehab stuff at all last week. Gotta get back on that today.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 06:29 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
It's a trail run, so I'm probably not moving much faster than some people walk. I did two hours last week, but this week was a drag. There are enough miles of trail that I don't repeat, but at any time, I'm probably at most 15 minutes from the car, so it's tempting to quit. That was good about Murphy Hanrehan. I'd park at the far end, run to the opposite end, and then have to make it back to the car. Mentally that was easier.

I run by feel. I go fast enough to have a hard time breathing but not wheezing and coughing up crap when I get home. At that pace my legs and heart are fine. Well you have more races and will gain more knowledge each week. What color is ugly?
I can totally see the difficulty in being able to bail at any moment. I know you had one place where you did loops - that idea I like. I run by feel too, but with different training the same pace can feel totally different.

The shirt is cotton and khaki. It goes with a pair of leggings I have (cause I buy what I find at a decent price) that I wear mostly hiking but I wouldn't want a cotton shirt for that.
Old 07-27-21, 06:30 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I am so over all this heat and sunshine. I've done well keeping with the running this summer despite it but we haven't been walking much bc Cyric hates the heat even more than I do and it's not like there's a good way to know if he is really too hot or just doesn't wanna. But my mental health needs longer walks and nicer weather and he has been pretty blah and lethargic.

I didn't track goals and habits for this month and have started feeling lost so I'm ready to get back at it next month. I think I did need the little break from it but ready to move on. I've been wasting too much time online and still not even posting! I can't seem to get my head around actually replying to posts.

Last night's 3 mile run was rough. It was still 79 degrees at 8:30 and humidity was 70% so real feel was 82 and there wasn't much breeze. I apparently overstretched my hamstrings in triangle pose earlier in the day (even though I did use a block) so btwn that and the longer run I'm kind of hurting today, plus I don't think I did rehab stuff at all last week. Gotta get back on that today.
I like the heat and this summer has still be super tough.
Old 07-29-21, 12:06 PM  
Vantreesta

I may end up doing my 5k on Monday instead of this wknd. Just depends how things go.

Buff, I've heard that from other people too, that this summer is hard even on people who like summer! I honestly sit around daydreaming about fall weather.

We did manage to walk 2 miles this morning and even started out at a better clip but then slowed down. I had to change out of wet clothes when we got back. Ugh.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 03:36 PM  
SandyO

I did my 5k this am since the low was the coolest for the weekend. I got a 29:18 or 9:25 pace which was faster than last year's 31:10 or 9:59 pace. I started out fast and slowed in the last mile, but I got 'er done.

I did the same Sarah Beth class I've done the last three weeks after my street run. It's a nice mix of strength, balance, and stretch.

Sandy O
Old 07-31-21, 08:17 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
I did my 5k this am since the low was the coolest for the weekend. I got a 29:18 or 9:25 pace which was faster than last year's 31:10 or 9:59 pace. I started out fast and slowed in the last mile, but I got 'er done.

I did the same Sarah Beth class I've done the last three weeks after my street run. It's a nice mix of strength, balance, and stretch.

Sandy O
Way to go Sandy! Nicely done.
Old 07-31-21, 08:45 AM  
buffmama

Did a leg workout today instead of Monday before a race. I'll do FB workouts for the next 2 days and (look to repeat this going forward for the series. This was a quad dominant workout but I figure my posterior chain always needs activation and sub'ed in Bulgarians, DL, and curtsy lunges. I also tend to stay on one side longer to increase the burn. Have to do more of the girl with the piiates mat. Today's pilates was a good one and I couldn't help thinking 'why isn't this easier?!'