Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-22, 12:38 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question OT: Costco vs. Sam's Club?

Is there much difference between Costco and Sam's Club? I was a Costco member for decades.

I've only been in Sam's Club once when I had a day pass. (It was to buy the original Body Pump VHS that came with a barbell. So, a hundred years ago...)

If you had to choose one, which would you pick?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 01:47 PM  
Malia

That's funny that you ask that because I haven't renewed my Sams Club membership yet. The Costco is about a 20 minute drive and Sams Club is about 6 minutes but I still just go to Costco. I like their pre-made meals better (although we don't buy them as much as we used to) but they seem to have more organic products...the quality just seems better.

There are a couple of things that I miss at Sams Club - they had the best granola (snack granola - not a cereal) made by some "mom and pop" type place and they had Sparling V-8 juice in the cans for way cheaper than the grocery store. I just didn't think (at this point) that I could justify the membership cost for those 2 things.
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 05:56 PM  
Tanja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malia View Post
There are a couple of things that I miss at Sams Club - they had the best granola (snack granola - not a cereal) made by some "mom and pop" type place and they had Sparling V-8 juice in the cans for way cheaper than the grocery store. I just didn't think (at this point) that I could justify the membership cost for those 2 things.
Sam's has day passes for free. If you don't overdo it, you could get your shopping done without paying the membership fee.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 06:02 PM  
Tanja

I still have both and the memberships pay for themselves with the cash back program. Sam's is closer to work for me, Costco has the better food. They don't really carry the same foods so I can justify both memberships. I like the cheeses, salami, dog food, and cold cuts from Costco. I like Sam's paper towels, smoked sausages, nuts and muscle milk.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 06:02 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I prefer fruits and vegetables at Sams. Costco is also further for me.

You can get cheap Sams membership via Groupon (like $15) for NEW members only.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 07:46 PM  
rhbrand

I prefer Costco cause they pay their employees very well, give good benefits and that's worth a lot to me
Old 05-20-22, 07:34 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I prefer Sam's because their membership is a bit cheaper, although I'm a Plus member and I get the cash back, which is nice. Sam's also has more items I like. I was a member of Costco for a couple of years but noticed I rarely went there so I switched back to Sam's.
Old 05-20-22, 10:12 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the helpful replies!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 12:37 PM  
AnMrsDe

Both! My DH uses Sam's for our business needs + I buy my contacts/glasses there. I find so many good deals on clothing too! They have great workout wear there for great prices!! The only downfall is there is no dressing room to try on anything.

I think Costco has better food choices. It is farther for us to drive to but we usually go once every two months.
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 01:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sam's is closer to us and this particular location has a gas station for members only.

pros:
some items are smaller in quantity allowing for less waste
clothing changes frequently which is good, and they discount it after about a month. currently, they're carrying GAP clothing. last year I bought Underarmour tops.
sam's "Member's Mark" croutons are the BOMB! we eat it as a snack.
one of the Sam's locations farther away from us has a huge book and magazine section.
they have an eyeglass section but i prefer Costco's (see below).

cons:
their concession stand has very slowwwwwwwwww service. it's ripe for one of those Harvard Business School MBA case studies on "How Could Operations and Queues Be Improved for Efficiency at Sam's Concessions?"
store looks unkempt since they're understaffed.

i'll update my reply because i got a 500 error.

I had a long reply too!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costco, sams club