Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-22, 06:41 AM  
donnamp

Carol, I am also not a fan of gliding discs either and I am thinking of just doing the workouts w/out them. I think it could work!

Interesting, Lorelai - I thought my issues were SI as well, and they may be - but Essentrics has really helped my back a lot. I started being consistent with it again in February and it has made a big difference. I wonder if part of my issue was just a lack of mobility. It is really hard to pinpoint! At the time I started Essentrics I had also quit doing Pahla B's workouts - those really flared up my lower back/Hip/SI. Unfortunate b/c I enjoyed them but I found that any time I went back to them on a regular basis I ended up in pain - and yes, it took me at least a year to figure it out and then accept it! I also did start doing more strength work - some with Jessica - and I think that also played a role in helping. And, interestingly, i cut back on Pilates, too - I think some of the Pilates exercises were bothering my back as well - i pretty much now avoid all "crunch" type exercises. Either way, I'm much happier w/ less back pain but I do need to be careful - and definitely modify and avoid certain postures/positions.

Sorry to write a book, LOL, but to get back on track, I am looking forward to this set!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 06:51 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'm a little turned off after watching the latest preview clip. I'm really not interested in gliding or floor work. I keep going back and forth on these. If I'll end up substituting during most of a workout, I guess it's kind of ridiculous to buy it.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 07:52 AM  
sherry7899

I do not do gliding either. I am afraid of hurting myself. I will wait for more clips of the other dvds. I may buy one or two but not the whole set. I do appreciate that she is still releasing dvds.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 07:53 AM  
katalina

I'm so grateful Jessica is still releasing DVDs. I will get this one, but I'm a little disappointed that all 3 fusion workouts use the gliding discs. One would've been great, but all 3? That being said, they look good
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 08:21 AM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I'm a little turned off after watching the latest preview clip. I'm really not interested in gliding or floor work. I keep going back and forth on these. If I'll end up substituting during most of a workout, I guess it's kind of ridiculous to buy it.
Same. I loved the look of the YouTube clip for the series but this individual workout clip does not look like something I'd enjoy.
I don't mind gliders used here and there but I particularly dislike using them for cardio and I don't want my workoutcentered around them.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 09:10 AM  
Sollamyn

Hmmm...I doubt that I will be purchasing this DVD any time soon. Gliders are not my thing. Even when I was younger, I worried about injuries. Now that I'm 63? Doubtful. HIGHLY doubtful.

Donna
Old 04-19-22, 09:41 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai;2962505[B
]I also struggle with the forward leaning postures[/B]. I'm self diagnosed, but am pretty certain I have SI joint issues. I've been doing adjustments at home and pilates based PT exercises to help with it, but I do need to stay consistent. I dropped off due to a bad sinus cold and then Easter, and I'm really feeling it. It's been a revelation for me because suddenly I'm understanding why certain moves bothered me, with any of my favorite instructors... All the lunge positions in Essentrics, especially combinations with twists and extensions, was really causing stress on that area, not to mention the single leg weight bearing exercises. I need to strengthen my weaknesses before I can handle all that again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

Interesting, Lorelai - I thought my issues were SI as well, and they may be - but Essentrics has really helped my back a lot.
The biggest problem I see with people regarding Essentrics (well, any exercise program with frontal flexion) and form is not pulling the tailbone down or having a small pelvic tilt when the arms are extended in front of the body. I sound like a broken record, and just yesterday did an "Essentrics 101" for my clients on Zoom. That lengthening of the sacrum is what is providing space between those lower back vertebrae and preventing loading up your lumbar spine.

If anyone has trouble with this, please message me and I'll do a free Zoom so we can figure out why you're having pain.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 09:59 AM  
donnamp

Jackie - I think I finally do get it - it is a larger movement than the one done in Pilates or Barre. The tucking in Barre and certain Pilates floorwork kills me, but in Essentrics - it is fine! I'm so glad to be back w/ the program it has made a big difference!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 10:52 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Jackie - I think I finally do get it - it is a larger movement than the one done in Pilates or Barre. The tucking in Barre and certain Pilates floorwork kills me, but in Essentrics - it is fine! I'm so glad to be back w/ the program it has made a big difference!

Donna
I'm glad to hear that!

I had a huge"aha" moment recently with some online training. It's really pulling the tailbone down, not such a huge, forceful tuck under (which also can cause strain).

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 04:27 PM  
moonbeam31

I'm buying ALL of the DVDS. I am excited for the sliding disc work!!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fusion, jessica smith, seinfeld, stretch, strong + centered, strong+centered series, sunny workouts