Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-22, 10:57 PM  
moonbeam31

New Walking workouts?

Are these new? I just came across these on Amazon. It said release date was just June 27th, 2022. Does anyone know anything about these? It looks like you get 2 dvds for 19.99. I need to see if there is a video preview. They look pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/WALK-FITNESS-...f_=ast_sto_dp#
moonbeam31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 01:34 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Curtis Adams has a youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/VitalityFL

other VFers have mentioned his workouts on youtube.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 06:41 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I've only done a few of his YouTube workouts. He is super upbeat and positive. Most of his workouts are geared towards the senior crowds, but he can be good for restarting or coming back from injury, too! He's very easy going, happy and puts a smile on your face.

My biggest negative is he counts every single rep.

I have not tried his walking workouts yet....but I ordered them.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 11:44 AM  
moonbeam31

Thanks! I found his YouTube, yes I see what you mean 🙃
moonbeam31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 06:12 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I've seen a few of his programs here in RI on JLTV (Jewish Life TV.) Gilad is very popular and he's on multiple times a day, and Curtis is also an up and coming favorite with his Vitality 4 Life show.

I might be able to do his workouts every once in a while, but not as my primary form of fitness. I've emailed him to ask him to do more advanced workouts, and I've seen some that are a bit more "high beginner" level...maybe.

He's very likeable and his sidekicks are in great shape, so he's doing something right. Also, his workouts seem fairly balanced, with lots of variety. But yeah, the non-stop counting gets to me, so I would have to mute that.

For the right age group, he seems like he would be fantastic. And, probably a lot of fun...in person.

April Focus:
Old 07-08-22, 02:50 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I just tried the Express Walk workout, after my regular strength training session today. My guess is that's it's no longer than 20 minutes with a brief warmup and cooldown. Between exercises there is a lot of marching in place with Curtis counting down (5 to 10 counts.) He has two background exercisers (Linda & David) who step along with him. They will sometimes get off step, since Curtis doesn't cue the move ahead of time. Along with marching in place he will do arm exercises (circles, curls, reaches, press outs, punches, raises, claps, speed bag.) He uses legs/feet for exercises like (kicks, taps to side, v-steps, box step, knee raises, wide/narrow step outs, forward/back steps.) There is a gentle 5 count jog in place, after stepping to side twice to left and right. And he does what he calls "mountain climbers" raising alternate knee/opposite hand above, which I found kind of fun to do!

Overall, it's ok. His voice can get louder at times as the workout progresses, as he shouts or calls out the moves....punch, punch, punch....march, march, march....step, step, step....tap, tap, tap. He changes the exercises up pretty quickly, but you're marching in place for at least half the workout between the other moves.

He doesn't mirror cue, and he always begins on his right (our left) side. He only does a v-step to one side, as well as the box step.

He's a very likeable guy, and I can see how he might be motivational to an older group. I'm 60 and I do appreciate all that he's trying to do for the senior community or those just beginning an exercise journey. If you just want to get some gentle movements in, this is fine. Or, I used it as an add-on to another workout. Would I use this often? Probably not.

I will say I only paid $15 (instead of the $20) because they had a 48 hour July 4th savings. But, I was also surprised to also receive his "Simply Seated" workout as a BONUS! I did not expect that, nor was it advertised. So a very nice thing to do!

He has a number of workouts on YouTube that are free, so I was happy to support him. If it matters to anyone, I believe the DVDs are purple backed.

I'll try the Stronger Walk out, when I get a chance. I have a feeling I would like that more with weights added to the mix!

Another thing I've noticed (from his seated workouts) is that he likes to work the core so he makes an effort to work the entire body. And, his standing workouts usually involve some type of balance exercises, too!

April Focus:

Last edited by Pam61; 07-08-22 at 03:06 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-12-22, 06:13 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I did the Stronger Walk workout today. It's roughly 25 minutes in length. Curtis does the same marching in place between various exercises for the first half of the workout, but there are a couple new moves that weren't on the express workout. Dumbbells are not needed until the last half of the workout, and he uses light weights, as the reps are done while marching in place or stepping rather quickly. You do lateral raises, rows, shoulder presses, hammer curls, and overhead triceps extensions (which are odd at this pace.) You double up the weights for something like a kettlebell swing (but not) and there's some core and balance moves, too! I knew what to expect with his teaching style of barking out orders and repeating names of exercises or counting with most every rep. He's high energy, but everything is done very low impact....which I need nowadays! I liked moves like half jacks, skaters, mountain climbers and some of the one legged moves to side and back. I just didn't care for his version of exercise for the triceps, so I will change that out for something that works better in the amount of time and pace....like overhead press using one weight.

Stronger Walk is available on YouTube!

April Focus:

Last edited by Pam61; 07-18-22 at 07:27 AM. Reason: ETA YouTube....Stronger Walk!!!
Old 07-13-22, 07:01 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Simply Seated (Bonus DVD!!!)

Today (after my regular workout) I did his Simply Seated workout. Unlike the other two, this is filmed indoors with two older background ladies...Millie and Anita, maybe? As such he moderates his voice, and he wasn't as loud as he was for the two walking outdoor workouts.

Curtis shines with this seated workout and the type of exercises that are done. This one (to me) is the best of the bunch! It reminds me a bit of his seated workout that he does for Plantar Fasciitis on his YouTube channel. It's all very low impact, but the exercises are functional and varied. He works the core especially well while seated in a chair, and you get a nice warmup stretch and cooldown, too! The first half of this one is cardio from your chair. He does boxing moves, jump ropes, marches, leg raises, fast jogs while pumping arms, swimming moves with leg flutters, sits to squats, jumping jacks, etc. For the last part of the workout (ten minutes or so) he uses light weights for rows, bicep curls, lateral raises, overhead presses, kickbacks (somewhat), core work. This workout surprisingly gets your HR up during the seated cardio exercises. Anyway, I liked this one and found it fun to do!

I find Curtis very charming, with his big smile and friendly manner. He seems like a sweet guy who wants to help people get fit and he's targeted the senior market. I like his down to earth nature and he gets people moving using a gentle and safe approach. I will just turn the volume down on some of the walking workouts, as the exercises are easy to follow along with. There are days when my feet are so painful (PF) that I will appreciate having a seated workout to do on those days! My core could use some help in that regard, too! ;-)

April Focus:
Old 07-13-22, 11:19 AM  
Leonana

Pam, I really like Curtis and his workouts too! I also like Improved Health.
Old 07-15-22, 04:14 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Well, I did his Simply Seated workout again today (bad foot pain) and the more I do....the more I like! He's more low key in this one, and still very pleasant and charming. In fact, he's growing on me so much that I ordered his Core & More, as well as his Abs Blast Challenge 2-dvd set. I did the Abs Blast Challenge and it's filmed inside an aircraft hangar so his voice gets loud and echoes in this setting. It's a good workout and can be done seated or standing and weights are used throughout. He is with two backgrounders and the woman (who does the exercises seated) works at the airplane museum or hangar airport location in FL. She has some tips at the end of the video for exercises that help relieve IT band issues. Have not done the Core & More, but it looks like it's from his TV series Vitality 4 Life show.

Originally, I thought I might not be the right "target audience" for his workouts and yes, some of his exercises are very simple. But there are others that can be challenging (core stuff) so this is something I will do without having to get down on the floor and kill myself, lol! Some days you need a lighter day workout that's also fun...and beneficial. If you're an advanced or high intermediate exerciser, I doubt that these would appeal to you. Or, if you're younger than (I would say) 60 or so.

April Focus:

Tags
curtis adams, walking workouts