Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-03-22, 05:01 PM  
wendug

KCM- 30 MTF Kickboxing workout 2. It was so hot and humid today and I felt drained so a 30 minute Kelly was it for me. I remember when I got this DVD it took me forever to get the moves down. I don't know why, but I eventually got it!

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend!
Old 09-03-22, 08:06 PM  
gigi

Good workouts Wendy. When I workded out in non-traditional gyms, they had no heat or air conditioning. It was always such a huge adjustment for me when it turned hot and humid. The cold air sometimes bothered me as well.

I plan on a few Cathe's this week. I just finished Cathe Live #305 Burn Sets: Express Legs Heavy. This is a killer, lower body workout that gets the heart rate up. I think the workouts during COVID were some of Cathe's best. She was able to do more than the same old, same old, I feel she does with the group. Tomorrow I'm looking forward to trying this workout: 30 Minute Low Impact Walking Workout. I don't usually care for Courtney Anderson becasue she is way to high impact for me. But she looks like she puts a creative twist on walking in this one. Monday I plan on Cathe's Ramped Up Upper Body. For Tuesday, I hope to find a fun step or Cardio Kickbox workout that actually has kicks and not a bunch of jumping jacks. Wednesday will be a rest day. Thursday I will most likely do a full body workout.

Happy weekend! Had dinner with the family tonight. Church with the family tomorrow. I sitll need to clean and get uite a bit of work done.
Old 09-05-22, 01:01 PM  
gigi

No workout yesterday. After church and lunch with my dad, I took a 3 hour nap, then cleaned for 2.5 hours.

Today I worked most of the day then did Cathe's Strong & Sweaty Ramped Up Upper Body. She starts with the back and works it thoroughly, which I love. It's a pretty comprehensive upper body workout.

I have a lot of meetings and deadlines so if I get a workout in on T and Th, I'll be happy.
Old 09-05-22, 06:44 PM  
wendug

Angela- Cleaning for 2.5 hours is workout in my opinion!

This weekend I took on another project, but this time it is yardwork. We're getting a new fence and I need to trim up some shrubs and bushes before the company installs it. But to get to them I need to remove a deteriorating raised garden bed. And it is full of dirt that I need to move. So I decided to expand my existing flower bed and remove grass from the yard. Once the grass is shoveled out I take the dirt from the garden bed and move it to the flower bed. I haven't trimmed the shrubs yet; I've spent hours removing grass and moving dirt around. These projects always take longer than I expect them to. I probably have a few more hours of work to go, but I'm happy with the progress I've made.
Old 09-06-22, 05:17 PM  
wendug

Today's workout- Caroline Girvan- Epic Heat Day 17- Compound Leg Day. Phew! This only had 15 seconds of rest between sets and it felt like that just FLEW by! Luckily there was minimal dumbbell changes in this workout.

Question for Angela & Erica- Would you recommend working calves if you already have muscular calves? I normally avoid calf work because my calves are already very muscular. I can only wear wide calf knee high boots and lots of skinny jeans are too tight to wear because the calves are too tight. It's not like fat deposits on calves and working the muscles will make them more toned. I just want to hear your input. TIA!
Old 09-06-22, 05:56 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post

Question for Angela & Erica- Would you recommend working calves if you already have muscular calves?
Well, I hate calf work so I am not the person to ask! I never did before my surgery but I ran all the time then and felt that kept my calves strong.

Post-op my calf muscle atrophied down to absolute nothing due to the long non-weightbearing period. It was amazing how quickly it shrunk - like it just disappeared. DH felt the area once (it was like mush) and exclaimed how cool it was and I burst into tears because I was so upset about the muscle loss. Building back the muscle took a LOT of work. I still can't do a one-legged calf raise well but I've come a LONG way. My calf muscle was cut during the surgery in addition to the foot reconstruction.

Okay, I'm not answering your question...oops. I'd probably skip it since your calves are probably plenty strong from your activities and you are already having trouble with clothes fitting due to their size. But I don't really know and don't want to tell you the wrong thing.

I did BUILD Back and Biceps Workout at Home / Dumbbells | EPIC II - Day 9 today.

I'm impressed with all of the yard work you did and all of the cleaning Angela did! Definitely lots of functional fitness there!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-22, 06:01 PM  
gigi

Wendy, it sounds like you have muscular calves. I know CDorner Fitness does not work her calves much becasue they are so muscular from her step workouts. You could maybe work them without weights if you wanted to work them or just every now and then. During the calf work in my workout today, I changed the position of my toes to work different areas even though Penny only did 3 sets of regular calf raises.

I did Penny Barnshaw 45 Minute Intense Leg Workout. It got my heart rate quite high. If I had listened to her intro., I would have been better prepared. She does 3 sets of each exercise in descending time. So it's 40 seconds work/20 seconds rest, 30 seconds work/15 seconds rest, and 20 seconds work/20 seconds rest. Then, you do the next exercise the same way. Next time I'll start out light weight and increase weight with each descending time. The floor work at the end was killer. I had to modify and then I ended up doing some classical stretch stuff instead of the weighted side leg raise and I felt the major burn. This was a great workout!
Old 09-06-22, 06:23 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
, I changed the position of my toes to work different areas even though Penny only did 3 sets of regular calf raises.

I did Penny Barnshaw 45 Minute Intense Leg Workout. It got my heart rate quite high. If I had listened to her intro., I would have been better prepared. She does 3 sets of each exercise in descending time. So it's 40 seconds work/20 seconds rest, 30 seconds work/15 seconds rest, and 20 seconds work/20 seconds rest. Then, you do the next exercise the same way. Next time I'll start out light weight and increase weight with each descending time. The floor work at the end was killer. I had to modify and then I ended up doing some classical stretch stuff instead of the weighted side leg raise and I felt the major burn. This was a great workout!
This looks like a great workout!

I do the same with my calves as far as doing different positions - learned that from P90x.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-22, 06:40 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I almost did this workout today, but I just felt like doing a CG workout. I did save it for another day. And that makes sense NOT to work the calf muscles much if they are muscular. I wish I could say they are like that from lots of work, but I have to give credit to my dad- it's all genetics. My brothers and I all have the same shaped muscular lower body.
Old 09-06-22, 06:50 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Well, I hate calf work so I am not the person to ask! I never did before my surgery but I ran all the time then and felt that kept my calves strong.

Post-op my calf muscle atrophied down to absolute nothing due to the long non-weightbearing period. It was amazing how quickly it shrunk - like it just disappeared. DH felt the area once (it was like mush) and exclaimed how cool it was and I burst into tears because I was so upset about the muscle loss. Building back the muscle took a LOT of work. I still can't do a one-legged calf raise well but I've come a LONG way. My calf muscle was cut during the surgery in addition to the foot reconstruction.

Okay, I'm not answering your question...oops. I'd probably skip it since your calves are probably plenty strong from your activities and you are already having trouble with clothes fitting due to their size. But I don't really know and don't want to tell you the wrong thing.

I did BUILD Back and Biceps Workout at Home / Dumbbells | EPIC II - Day 9 today.

I'm impressed with all of the yard work you did and all of the cleaning Angela did! Definitely lots of functional fitness there!

Erica
Erica- Oh my- your calf muscle was cut. That must have been painful and took a long time to recover from! And foot reconstruction...that's a lot! Good on you for your determination to get back to exercise.

And yes I'll continue to skip calf work. Even when I was at my lowest weight in college and considered underweight, I still had big muscular calves.

Tags
cardio, mobility, strength, walking workouts, youtube workouts