Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-31-23, 08:20 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right. 12/31

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-23, 08:49 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning! Happy New Year tomorrow!

I did try patching nail holes in my living room, but I can see the new (old) paint is a bit off from the old paint - sigh…. I’ll probably repaint the walls or have a professional do them when I’m moving. I didn’t get a good night’s sleep last night . Maybe a nap today? I’ll be listening to my favorite musician tonight for his new year’s celebration online. Not planning on staying up till midnight, that’s for sure! We got about an inch of snow last night - debating whether to shovel that or wait for it to melt this week…

Laura, thanks for the new titles! There was a duplicate date on 4/7, so I added the duplicate to the end of the list, so we’re covered till June 16th now. So is Miss Polly a New Year’s Eve partier?

Paula, Bats normally catch and eat flying insects, not mealworms, but we’re not going to put flying insects in their cages. I guess mealworms taste pretty similar to flying insects (and mealworms are baby insects), but we have to teach the bats that they are a food they can eat. First feedings take a while - we’ll tear off the end of the worm so the bat can taste and smell that as food and it’s individual worms that we feed to the bats with forceps. Some have medical issues also, so they can be really reluctant to eat . As they get used to the worms, they’ll eat them intact and eventually they’ll start eating them from the Petri dish that we put the worms in. It’s a good day when they learn to eat on their own! Once they eat on their own we can put them in a kennel where we put the dish of worms into - they start in an aquarium. Once they get to a certain body condition, we can put them into a hibernaculum where they’ll sleep off the winter and be released in spring when insects are back in the air. Frankly, I’m amazed that they can adjust to eating mealworms - it would be like us adjusting to eat squid.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 12-31-23, 09:08 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Happy New Year’s Eve! Let's hope 2024 is a good year for all of us.

Workout this morning was the 1st half of my PT routine, Pahla B Body Shaping Day 20 Walking with Weights, and a Sarah Starr Morning Stretch.

Lazy day here, we had rain on and off.

Anita, I guess whether you are a bat or a person if you’re hungry enough you can learn to eat anything. We won’t stay up until midnight either. We’ll watch the ball drop in New York then go to bed.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-23, 09:31 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Happy New Year! I hope everyone has a good New Year's Eve and Day. It's 9:05 pm and I'm sitting here listening to fireworks going off close to our house. I hope they run out of them before it gets late. We may see midnight. This year, DH became more of a night owl and we often go to bed around midnight anyway.

Today was a good day, a nice way to close out the year. We picked up lunch at a really good restaurant and took it all over to Mom and Dads. Mom, Dad, and I all had shrimp & grits. They also cooked DH a really good chicken dish. After we got home, Polly laid on my lap for a long time. She and I have good times together, but she never lays on my lap and prefers DH's. So, it was a sweet time for me.

Anita - That's really interesting about the bats and why you have to teach them to eat. You must have a big job because you couldn't teach me to eat SQUID! Thanks for correcting the problem with the themes. That's far enough out that I don't care. As long as it's after Memorial Day, that's good.

Paula - Hope you had a good day today without the boring factors.

Vantreesta - Happy New Year! Hope you had a good week with your family.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-24, 03:56 AM  
Vantreesta

Happy New Year!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-24, 10:29 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Happy New Year! I was in bed by about 10 o’clock, but still it’s a new year this morning! We did have some fireworks going off at midnight so I got up at that time, but didn’t see anything.

Nothing much planned for today. Yesterday I painted over some nail holes in my living room - the paint was a bit concentrated from evaporation and did dry a bit darker than the previous paint. I might wait till I move and have that entire wall repainted by a professional as it’s got some corners and heights that aren’t fun for me to try reaching. I did listen in on my musician last night till about 8:30 and then hit the news and went to bed. I did shovel my driveway yesterday - easy-peasy at this amount.

Paula, I don’t know if I’ll eat mealworms if the food supply was down to that - I do see some people trying them in these specialty restaurants. Supposedly good in pasta .

Laura, I’ve got a neighbor who’s up every night till about 4 am - I don’t know when he wakes, but I just don’t get his hours… . Lunch sounds delicious . I’ll be traveling in March - I’ll have my iPad with me, but don’t know how good the internet will be down in Patagonia.

Happy New Year, Vantreesta! Hope you’re having a great time over these holidays!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 01-01-24, 06:19 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

So far, 2024 hasn't seemed much different than 2023. Today, I did a load of laundry, cooked a thing or two, and did a pick-up at Wegmans. The rest of the time, we kicked back. It was a gray and chilly and miserable day outside today, even though we didn't have any rain. Polly kept going outside and then coming back in pretty quickly. DH finally stopped letting her go outside.

There was a major earthquake in Japan yesterday/today. My brother in Tokyo said he didn't feel it. It was on the northwest side of their island, but they are pretty far from the epicenter, apparently.

Vantreesta - I hope you had a great night! And I hope you could sleep in today.

Anita - It sounds like you had a low-key day. Having your house painted by a professional before you move is probably a good idea. They can more quickly do the job that would take you longer and it will look fresh and good without a lot of physical strain on your part.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-24, 09:59 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening and Happy New Year. As Laura said, so far this year is just like last year.

We had absolutely beautiful weather today – the kind of weather that makes people who are watching the Rose Parade or Rose Bowl move to California.

We decided to fly and went to Catalina. We couldn’t do our usual hike because DH is still having problems with his foot. We had a nice lunch did a little walking and enjoyed the beauty of the island. I made a big pot of red lentil soup when we got home. New recipe, I hope we like it.

Vantreesta, Happy New Year to you too. Fingers crossed it's a good year.

Anita, DH says he heard fireworks going off around midnight, guess I slept through it because I didn’t hear a thing. I have a friend who stays up past midnight every night too. She loves the quiet time and gets lots of work done when the rest of the family is sleeping. I couldn’t do it, but I know there are night owls who love this lifestyle. I’m always been an early to bed/early to rise person. Having a professional paint right before you put the place up for sale is a good idea, a nice clean look.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-24, 12:54 AM  
Vantreesta

I had the 10 PM slot in the VF exercise marathon. I did Yoga With Shaunneka New Year Seated Yoga Stretch: A Reflective Wrap Up. I did some extra stretching while I watched the intro for Yoga with Adriene's new challenge and a 2-min dolphin pose hold while I listened to the intro for Devi Daly's new challenge.

We played games last night, with lots of laughing and food, and then watched a couple more episodes of Scorpion before going to bed at 3:30. I slept in till 9 this morning.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-24, 10:34 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on getting out for a walk! I’ve been inside most of the weekend…. Otherwise just kind of putzing around the house.

Laura, glad your brother and his family are safe in Japan - news footage of the earthquake was pretty scary! I just can’t wait for my move to the new place even though they haven’t broken ground for it yet…. I’ve got a lot of charity donations stacked up downstairs - planning on packing those up and taking them to the charities this month.

Paula, sorry DH’s foot is still bothering him - sounded like it would be a long process to get that healed. I don’t mind having a painter do my living room walls - I just really disagree with some realtors that want everything inside painted off-white for a home sale - NO!!!!! I’ll probably have a lot of the same colors in my co-op unit.

Vantreesta, cool that you participated in the VF exercise marathon! Hope you caught up on some sleep last night.

Waves to all!

Anita