Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-20, 03:09 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

This looks like fun! Streetstrider

Website

It's expensive, though.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 03:23 PM  
antbuko

I walk vigorously in a very hilly area. It's still not as intense as running, but it's a really good workout, it gets me outdoors and does wonders for my mood. You can challenge yourself by upping your pace and going further distances. I use MapMyWalk and I love tracking my workouts that way. If walking is boring for you, I find having routes with a destination really helpful, as opposed to walking ten times around a track or block.
Old 12-03-20, 05:24 PM  
Nelly G

I am sorry to hear you cannor run anymore. It is good that you are going to look for workouts to replace your running.

I learned from HIIT workouts and low impact workout that if you incorporate putting your arms in the air that your heart rate goes up. Fast walking with moving your arms fast work with me as well. Or like Jeanine said working out on a elliptical if you have it.

Look at this site so you know what I mean: those excercise work.
https://www.verywellfit.com/low-impa...rcises-1231272

Also the workouts of Body Project on you tube are low impact but do great with your heart rate. Sherry put some of them in this forum.
https://www.youtube.com/c/BodyProjec...&pbjreload=102
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 06:03 PM  
bergame
VF Supporter

All great suggestions above. I had been a runner for about 45 years when a hip replacement forced me full-time into the low-impact world.

I find power-walking to be almost as cardio-intensive as my jogging was - maybe because, after all these years of running, speed walking feels so effortful, even downright unnatural. But in a good way - haha! I add on a weight vest and/or carry some hand weights and pretty soon that HR is climbing up and I still get the outdoor fix.

For indoor low-impact, my go-to cardio is step because it's pretty easy to modify any instructor's routines to eliminate the jumps, and I also grab hand weights here to increase the intensity.
Which video instructors are the ones who say something like "adding arm movements adds 17.5% to the aerobic output"? I always questioned the specificity of the percent but not the basic premise!

There is life after running. Enjoy the new path.
bergame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 06:15 PM  
loulou

It depends on your locale of course but I second walking hilly areas. Attempting to increase your speed with each trek.

Hiking, and for me soon, snowshoeing. It's the closest I've come to the feeling of a good outdoor run. More equipment intensive but worth it.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 06:49 PM  
Hazel Porter

If you have access to an ARC trainer, it is the closest to the feeling of running while being non-impact. An elliptical is a close second. I really enjoy using the Aaptiv app for workouts on either of these.
Old 12-03-20, 10:08 PM  
rhbrand

Spinning and ellipticals would get your heart rate up, And elliptical would somewhat mimic the movement of running without the impact.
Old 12-03-20, 10:28 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
....I find having routes with a destination really helpful, as opposed to walking ten times around a track or block.
Oh I tried to walk indoors at a gym. Man, trying to get 3 miles in on a quarter mile track is a special kind of hell in my book...
"just.can't.look.at.that.spot.again..oh nooo.there it is again!!"

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 10:36 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Oh I tried to walk indoors at a gym. Man, trying to get 3 miles in on a quarter mile track is a special kind of hell in my book...
Lol Linda, my sentiments exactly!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 10:42 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Oh I tried to walk indoors at a gym. Man, trying to get 3 miles in on a quarter-mile track is a special kind of hell in my book...
Me too! I've gotta have someplace to go and then the return trip.

Tags
cardio, foot surgery, rucking, running, running alternatives, stair climbing, stairs