Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-18, 03:01 PM  
rheash92

Building strength at home

In the New Year I want to focus on building strength. I workout at home with minimal equipment. I have the adjustable dumbbells and a bench. I also have a barbell but that only goes up to 50 pounds. I’m not looking to be a superhuman or anything but just want to make the best of what I can do at home. What program/programs do you recommend? Please share your experiences and suggestions on how I can gain strength at home by making the most of what I have. Thanks!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-18, 03:14 PM  
wlorrie

CLX is a good program. From what I recall, the workouts are in the 30-45 minute range and did not use a lot of equipment. I did gain strength with the program and lost a few inches.
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-18, 03:51 PM  
IceQueen07

You could try Liift4.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-18, 03:53 PM  
Vantreesta

I second CLX. For me it was fun and I also was the strongest I've ever been (admittedly that is probably partly bc I was consistent).
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-18, 04:05 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
You could try Liift4.
I like LIIFT4 a lot and gained strength with it. LIIFT4 takes less time commitment than CLX but other than that, they’re both good programs for strength so it’s basically a choice between different styles.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-18, 06:31 PM  
lizh

Hi,
What is CLX?

thanks
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-18, 06:34 PM  
LizEMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizh View Post
Hi,
What is CLX?

thanks
Liz
ChaLEAN Extreme.
Old 11-24-18, 06:47 PM  
videofit

Seems to me it doesn't matter what you do as long as you keep increasing the weight as you get stronger.
Old 11-24-18, 07:19 PM  
Taiga

STS gave me my best strength gains (and leaning out) by far and Cathe is no nonsense as usual. The short CLX sessions are great but Chalene has a big personality in these and you may want to look at clips first. Body Beast (BB) is fairly good but has a "manly meathead" vibe that can inspire laughter or revulsion depending on your bend lol The weight work is solid, esp in STS and BB. I remember that several people complained about CLX related back pain when the program first came out and IIRC it was mostly due to compound moves. My sense is that all these programs will deliver strength if you do the work.

Cathe also has several excellent programs (Xtrain is the bomb ) that aren't necessarily geared toward long rotations. However, I personally had my best results from 90 day programs. As mentioned, being consistent and pushing for progress are key factors in getting stronger. After that, I just like to pick programs that feature instructors I enjoy for the company.
Old 11-24-18, 10:53 PM  
lizh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizEMA View Post
ChaLEAN Extreme.
thank you!
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
strength