Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-16, 01:46 PM  
PrairieGem

Question Benefits of strong pectorals/chest?

Today I bumped up some of my weights on Kelly's Cardio Pump (yep, still loving it!! ), and as I grabbed a heavier pair for chest work--bench press & flyes--I wondered if I really want/need to increase there. I know what stronger quads and hamstrings and shoulders do for me... but a stronger chest? Do I need that? I know guys like a lot of mass and definition there, but I'm a woman and I lift for strong bones, strong muscles, and functional fitness.

Will it improve my posture (seriously needed)? Make it easier to lift heavy objects? (I care for elderly family members with mobility issues--so lots of assistance lifting and turning)?

I have tendonitis in my shoulder and have had a history of tennis elbow... so before I add additional stress to *those* joints, I really need to know if it's going to be worth it.

Thanks!!
Old 02-04-16, 05:21 PM  
Sara1000

Actually if chest muscles are too strong in comparison to back muscles it can cause you to slump forward - or so I have read. They are important for fighting, however, and for enhancing the bosom.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 05:46 PM  
JulieIL

-
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 06:31 PM  
Alan

Yes, you need a stronger chest, back, and core for pulling and pushing movements. Very important for caring for others with mobility issues.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 06:49 PM  
PaulaZ

If you want to improve your posture, exercises for the upper back and rear delts would be better. Most people are already pretty tight in their chest which rounds the shoulders forward.

Lat rows, rear delt flies, and rotator cuff exercises that pull your shoulder blades together will help with lifting things too.

Chest presses push the weights away, so if you need to get underneath something to lift it up higher, chest presses will help you. If you need to pick something up off the ground and work against gravity, you need strong pulling muscles, i.e. the back muscles.

When you need to lift something heavy up or down, grab it, then squeeze your shoulder blades together and brace your core as you work against gravity with your big lat muscles. You'll generate much more lifting power with strong back muscles than you can with arms and chest alone.
PaulaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 12:57 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Overworking the pecs can cause them to become tight and cause the slumping forward we all want to avoid. If you sit at a desk all day, your pecs get even tighter, and that can be murder on your posture.

Most exercise gurus recommend strengthening the posterior chain for better posture and functionality in daily life.

It is great to work all the muscles, but keep things in balance. And make sure to thoroughly stretch the pecs every day.

In some FIRM workout, Tracy Long is doing push-ups ans says something like, "Push-ups build cleavage." Um, I don't think that is how she got her impressive cleavage!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 09:03 PM  
bfit

On the other hand, I always thought that working the pecs helped your bust/breasts look more uplifted.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 11:26 AM  
PrairieGem

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll stick with my current weights.

I don't look for or expect my workouts to improve my bustline , but I will say that, as a busty woman, pushups have been the best thing ever. Strong pecs mean that I can do a lot more high impact with a lot less pain. Bounce is much less of an issue when those muscles are strong. I had forgotten about that! They've been a regular part of my rotation for so long now that I forgot how things used to be.
Old 02-09-16, 02:15 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll stick with my current weights.

I don't look for or expect my workouts to improve my bustline , but I will say that, as a busty woman, pushups have been the best thing ever. Strong pecs mean that I can do a lot more high impact with a lot less pain. Bounce is much less of an issue when those muscles are strong. I had forgotten about that! They've been a regular part of my rotation for so long now that I forgot how things used to be.
I never thought of that, good to know! One more reason to embrace push-ups and planks... though I may modify using a chair/barre to help my wrists out a bit.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 04:12 PM  
PrairieGem

Nota bene, though, you won't actually bounce less; it will just be FAR less uncomfortable. Don't toss your high-impact bras or anything!

I will say, though, that if it's a choice between having functional wrists, and being able to do high-impact exercise? I've gotta go with my wrists. I'm still planning to type, sew, write, do needlework, and everything else in my 80s and beyond. Not so sure I'll still feel I need to prove anything by running.

Do forearm planks work for you?

Tags
bench press, chest, flyes, pectorals, strength