Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-15, 08:21 PM  
megrod74

I'm confused about cardio

im just confused with all the conflicting things I read about the efficacy of cardio when it comes to losing weight. I have about 20 lbs to lose so I've been reading all kinds of articles / websites / threads. Is cardio necessary for weight loss? And if not, why do so many instructors and programs increase the amount of cardio if weight loss is a goal? I realize by itself it might not be as effective as combining it with some sort of strength training. I'm just curious because I always see posts about people not "needing" cardio per se. Is that because they are already at goal?
megrod74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 08:34 PM  
kmissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by megrod74 View Post
im just confused with all the conflicting things I read about the efficacy of cardio when it comes to losing weight. I have about 20 lbs to lose so I've been reading all kinds of articles / websites / threads. Is cardio necessary for weight loss? And if not, why do so many instructors and programs increase the amount of cardio if weight loss is a goal? I realize by itself it might not be as effective as combining it with some sort of strength training. I'm just curious because I always see posts about people not "needing" cardio per se. Is that because they are already at goal?
It's a ymmv type thing. You'll have to try and see what works best for your body. I prefer strength training, but I need addt'l cardio to lose extra lbs. for me it's diet, lifting and some cardio. Lifting can have an aerobic effect tho too.
kmissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 08:51 PM  
dela

I had my most significant weight loss and overall body shape change doing 3 times per week full body weight workouts with a trainer, very traditional stuff in the gym, this was before the whole metabolic trend really took hold, plus 3 days on my own of about 1 hour steady state cardio like treadmill and elliptical. There is no way my results would have been nearly as good with just one or other. I believe the magic is in the mix.

If for some reason I HAD to choose and only do one, it would be weights, because you can turn a weight session into cardio, but in general not the other way around.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 09:04 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I think it depends on the person and the only way you're going to figure it out (unfortunately) is to experiment with yourself.

FOR ME, I am hypothyroid and menopausal and my metabolism just sucks, no other way to put it. If I don't do cardio, I can't lose weight because I cannot eat THAT LITTLE without trashing my metabolism further. I have to exercise to be able to eat at a healthy level and still lose weight.

If I were younger, I don't think that would be the case. If I were not hypothyroid, that would not be the case. If I'd ever had LOTS of weight to lose, I don't think that would be the case (but I never have; for me it has always been 10 pounds here or there.)

I have worked out since my oldest was 2, so that's been 21 years now. So I started when I was 31 or so. . .

So for me, it comes down mostly to calories out. I have heard many VFers say it's all about the intake, how they didn't lose weight till they ate less, and for many I'm sure that's true; but for myself, if I ONLY dieted and did not do cardio, my weight loss would stall VERY quickly due to depressed metabolism. SO I just see cardio as that which keeps me revving along, and embrace it on that basis.

(and yes, I do strength training too, and try to burn calories there as much as I can by doing stuff that gets aerobic, like the Firm and Les Mills Pump. If I do something less calorie-intensive, like barre, I have to adjust my intake accordingly.)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 09:25 PM  
slysam

Quote:
I think usually a mix of cardio and strength are ideal. I admit I tend to let the strength go, but that is where I see the results. But I usually do cardio at least a couple times a week even when slacking on my fitness. So that might be why I see best results with muscle work--because it is what I am least consistent with.

For weight loss, it is really about diet. But for me a good mix of general activity, a few cardio sessions and 2-3 strength sessions do make a difference. Necessary? I don't know, I think the main thing that is necessary is eating less. But the boost to metabolism from strength work and the increase calorie burn from cardio and moderate activity help. It is pretty rare to hear doctors, dietitions, etc to say cardio doesn't help. It is more trainers who are into current trends who say otherwise, and fitness trends change constantly and cycle.

I do think the right balance is different for everyone and it may depend how active your daily life actually is. Everyone is kind of an experiment of one in terms of what gives them the results they prefer.

I think sometimes the weight loss benefits of aerobic exercise have been overstated. When I was more active on fitness forums on MFP, Spark, Fitbit, etc I was amazed at the fixation some have on calorie burn from exercise and sometimes what they expect to have burned in 45 minutes seems unrealistic. I have lost weight from exercise, but it was a slow creeping loss like 1-2 pounds a month--and it stops at a certain point. Increased appetite comes with increased activity for some, so not everyone loses just from activity as it is natural to eat more (the body wants to maintain).
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 10:00 PM  
Chomper

In the scientific literature there is not an impressive link between cardio and weight loss. There are so many factors at play, and it is believed people who start exercising also start eating more. That doesn't mean doing cardio is pointless. The scientific literature is full of impressive links between cardio and physical, mental and neurological health.

As far as I know cardio is still the only way to keep the heart and lungs healthy. For that alone it is worth doing at least some brisk walking. Cardio can boost energy and mood and increase our ability to deal with stress. A nice bonus. Cardio can include steady state (keeping a same usually low or moderate intensity for the duration), intervals (alternating high and low intensities), metabolic and circuit style (incorporating strength work while keeping the heart rate high).
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 10:08 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Is cardio necessary for weight loss? And if not, why do so many instructors and programs increase the amount of cardio if weight loss is a goal? I realize by itself it might not be as effective as combining it with some sort of strength training.
The reason cardio is associated with weight loss is that when people talk about weight loss they usually mean fat loss and fat needs oxygen to be metabolized, and furthermore, a major byproduct of fat metabolism is carbon dioxide. Cardio exercise is well-suited to increasing intake of O2 and expulsion of CO2.

Quote:
I'm just curious because I always see posts about people not "needing" cardio per se. Is that because they are already at goal?
As noted by everyone above, it is very much a YMMV thing that is related to your unique body as well as lifestyle and habits.

For me, a balanced combination of strength and cardio works best for fat loss, but that combination does favor cardio.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 10:12 PM  
at120

Ultimately, what generates weight loss seems to come down to a combination of diet (lower calorie intake), cardio that elevates your heart rate into various defined "fat burning zones" of various duration, and interval strength training. Simply focusing on just one of the three factors will cause your weight loss to plateau after a certain period of time.
at120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 10:19 PM  
megrod74

Thank you, all, for your interesting responses! I am one who gets hungrier with added cardio so I have to be selective. It will be interesting to see what works for me.
megrod74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 07:05 AM  
Tugger31

More on the topic...

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-much-cardio/
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio, weight loss