Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-12, 08:58 AM  
TinaT

Walking Poles .. ?

I ran across some WP at TJMaxx for very little and the claim on the package says it will help burn more calories .. sometimes up to 45% more.

Anyone here use them? Why? It also makes the claim it eases the pressure on knees/joints. Any truth? I need to get back to walking .. exercising all together. I love walking and do have joint issues, so is this hype or could I benefit from using them?

Two weeks ago I lost my dad to a massive heart attack and obviously have not felt like it. Prior to that I was assisting my mom in helping with all of dads health issues, so working out has not been a priority for months. But I know I need to get back to it. I don't want to sit inside and do nothing.

TIA ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 09:01 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Tina, I have no experience with the poles but wanted to express how deeply sorry I am to hear about your dad!! (((((Hugs))))) and peace to you and your family. xo
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 09:06 AM  
TinaT

Thank you Gina.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 09:35 AM  
andtckrtoo

Tina - oh, wow, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my mom to cancer several years ago, and I still miss her.

My friend who is a hardcore hiker and has done most of the 14,000 foot mountains in Colorado, but who is now dealing with a second knee replacement surgery (the first one was bad from the onset) and has to admit that she's getting older - swears by them. I have a knee issue as well, and I'm seriously contemplating getting them again (I had a set, but gave them away - I was too "tough" at the time to need them). They provide a more total body workout while walking - even on flat trails. They also provide more stability for steep or uneven trails. If you are considering them mainly for pavement, I would be sure to get the ones with shocks and the pavement can be jarring to the shoulders and arms. And like any new equipment - know there is a breaking in period.
Old 06-15-12, 10:32 AM  
rosepetals

I use Black Diamond Nordic Poles when I walk. It happened due to balance issues. They don't feel like they make the walk any more intense. I haven't noticed any changes in the workout, but they are great for supporting me when I trip.

My husband used them when he had knee issues. He said it felt like it took pressure off the knee, so he did better walking.

When I researched them, I found out the Black diamond's have a unique system that increases the strength of the pole. Most of the poles out there are the kind that screw together. The screw system is not as strong, it relays on a tiny piece of plastic inside. Sorry, its hard to explain. Read the reviews of the reports before you make a decision. REI has tons of comparison reviews. Oh, the cork handles are more comfortable than plastic.

The poles were in the $90's when I purchased them with the cork handles.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 10:36 AM  
rosepetals

Also, I tried the ones with the shocks. They give like a spring. So if you trip, they don't feel as stable.

So compare to see what feels best for your situation. If you are trip prone like me, the no springs are better as it supports you when you trip.

There is no issue with the pavement jarring my shoulder or wrists without the shocks. Use the wrist supports, it makes them feel more comfortable in your grip.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 10:39 AM  
edensmom

My friend who was very overweight used them with walking daily and lost like 40 pounds. She was previously sedentery. As was mentioned it is more of a full body workout using the poles and I think it is very good for the core. My friend at first felt a little silly because she wasn't confident initially and not a lot of walkers use poles....but when she started to drop weight and tone up she no longer cared.
Apparently this is very popular elsewhere in the world. Nordic walking, I believe.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 10:45 AM  
Blackadar

I don't know about walking poles, but when I hike I use Leki trekking poles. It's much, much easier on the stabilizing muscles when I do and therefore I can go a lot further. Mine have the shocks, though to be honest there's not much difference with or without. It's just a bit easier on the wrists with shocks. I love 'em.
Old 06-15-12, 11:31 AM  
caligurl

so sorry about your dad....

when we go hiking we both use trekking poles... compared to when we didn't use them.... there was a huge difference.... on one particular hike both my hands and hubby's hands swelled up! (this was actually the one that convinced me i needed poles!) since buying and using the poles: no swelled hands!

i guess i can see where at least some amount of extra calorie burn would come into play with regular walking (or even hiking) with the poles vs without because you are using your arms (and what is it cathe says during a couple of her workouts... that using your arms adds X% to you calorie burn? i think it was 12 or 15%?)

they are also a godsend when going up or down hill! (or walking in sandy washes!)

i got a cheap pair (they were mauve and matched my backpack!) but when these break or wear out i'll definitely get another pair!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 11:33 AM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Mine have the shocks, though to be honest there's not much difference with or without.

mine do, too.... but since i've never used any other ones i don't really know if the shock feature is benefitting me! i think my next pair will have cork handles though!
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiking poles, walking pole