Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-11, 10:31 AM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Just some speculations here...

The STS series is not the feather in SNM's cap that I think they expected it to be. It was a great undertaking and I think it is a great series that will definitely garner strength gains (it did for me), but I don't think it sold nearly as well as SNM hoped it would. Again, I have zero proof of this and have no idea how much money they made or how much they expected to make.

Making STS probably cost SNM A LOT of money (even with the repeat footage, I still think that paying for all that custom music (whether you like the music or not) was really expensive and using NFL Productions to film and edit STS was probably not cheap either. They even 'hired' backgrounders and I suspect they were paid more than Cathe's 'regular' backgrounders).

I think SNM looked at all the preorders and figured out how much money they'd made and how much they had to spend on STS.

When Cathe and SNM released clips of STS on their blog (and they released lots of clips and were really excited about them), it seemed like there were more negative comments than positive (hate the music, don't like the backgrounders, can't stand the counting out loud, still moves too fast, etc.).

There were lots of STS preorder cancellations. Some of those cancellations for sure came from a strong dislike of the clips, but I suspect most cancellations came from customers who were sooooooo tired of the length of the presale that they lost interest, moved on to something else, or became irritated by the long, long wait. SNM probably thought the cancellations came from viewing the clips and I think that is why they are hesitant to show clips. Remember when the clips were up at Collage for Shock Cardio and yanked before the day was over? I think SNM worries that preview clips = cancellations.

Again, this is 100% speculation.
I think this has some valid points, speculation or not. Well said! I know I didn't pre-order STS bc I heard a lot of people talking (rather, read) negatively about what they saw, the length, and what you were actually getting (repeat footage). I pre-ordered CLX instead. I ended up selling CLX bc of the tricky movements and the impact it had on my shoulders, I had some issues thanks to the system. In hindsight I would have been better off getting STS, but luckily, I was able to trade for it.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 10:42 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydogfan View Post
This is the perfect business plan. I wish I'd thought of it.

I get annoyed at how often SNM misses their deadlines, but I'm not sure if it's really annoyance or jealousy. If I missed my deadlines like that, I'd be out of a job. If I went to my boss and said that I was not going to make my deadline and that I had no idea when my project would be ready but I'd check in with him in two weeks to give him an update that it still isn't ready, I'd be in the unemployment line in a matter of seconds.
I wish I worked for SNM, where you have deadlines that you don't have to meet and there's no accountability for anything. It's always someone else's fault -- weather, injuries, replication process, yadda yadda. Plus, when you work for Cathe, you don't have to proofread what you write, and that sounds quite liberating.
I wonder if she's hiring.

Katie
Love this post! So true!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 10:44 AM  
Sass

Yes, it's probably better to just hear all of the complaints after everyone has received their orders. Either way, it's going to happen. I still want to see clips anyway. I will order what I'm interested in after all is said and done anyway. Right now it just seems like After Burn and Slide & Glide...
Old 09-16-11, 11:27 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
...If I missed my deadlines like that, I'd be out of a job. If I went to my boss and said that I was not going to make my deadline and that I had no idea when my project would be ready but I'd check in with him in two weeks to give him an update that it still isn't ready, I'd be in the unemployment line in a matter of seconds....
But if you were able to tell your boss "I haven't produced the product yet but here is all the money people have sent us for it so far; I'm sure there will be more checks in today's mail" -- would he still fire you? It's the loyal customers and the preorders that really make this business plan sing.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 11:52 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
But if you were able to tell your boss "I haven't produced the product yet but here is all the money people have sent us for it so far; I'm sure there will be more checks in today's mail" -- would he still fire you? It's the loyal customers and the preorders that really make this business plan sing.
Yes, you would still get fired in that situation. SNM is the only business I know of that can consistently be late for a product that customers paid for in advance with an estimated project due date. What I don't understand is why they don't overestimate their delivery date. It would save them so much hassle. Customers would still pre-order, but wouldn't get frustrated with their orders being late every time and getting lame excuses from SNM. As far as the loyal customers, I think SNM has definitely lost some of them due to their business practices, but apparently not enough to cause them to change.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 12:29 PM  
DEEDEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conni View Post
I agree Rose, having a thick skin is a prerequisite in this industry, and I wonder if these workouts are as redundant as I suspect they may be ( hence why I cancelled to begin with).....
That is the exact thought I had when I read "New twist on famliar moves!" which equals same old moves. I think Cathe has plenty of great workouts released already, she would have to come up with something really unique before I would bite.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 12:33 PM  
DEEDEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
Cathe and SNM have said making clips right now would take time away from finishing the product. As someone who already ordered, I would like to see clips, but I would like to get my DVDs more.
I think that comes down to poor time management. She has had plenty of time to get some clips up. I don't know why but it seems like Cathe will throw a tentative date out for customers, then wait until the last possible minute to get started so if anything goes wrong or causes a delay, the date is missed. I don't think she needs to have filming done before giving a tentative release date, but she could at least have things scheduled. But hey, it isn't a Cathe pre-sale if there isn't some drama. :-)
Old 09-16-11, 12:40 PM  
DEEDEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Yes, you would still get fired in that situation. SNM is the only business I know of that can consistently be late for a product that customers paid for in advance with an estimated project due date. What I don't understand is why they don't overestimate their delivery date. It would save them so much hassle. Customers would still pre-order, but wouldn't get frustrated with their orders being late every time and getting lame excuses from SNM. As far as the loyal customers, I think SNM has definitely lost some of them due to their business practices, but apparently not enough to cause them to change.

Erica
I totally agree Erica. When you think about it, it truely is amazing that she is still so successful with that 'my way or the highway' attitude Cathe seems to have when it comes to her business.
Old 09-16-11, 01:20 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDEE View Post
I totally agree Erica. When you think about it, it truely is amazing that she is still so successful with that 'my way or the highway' attitude Cathe seems to have when it comes to her business.
And it's leaking over into other companies: systems like American Power Yoga, 360 Miracle, etc. where they have open-ended, long-delayed preorders and poor customer service (and sometimes, defective discs).

With all the choices out there, I don't understand buying something where you know you'll be mistreated, but that's just me.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 01:21 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
This is the perfect business plan. I wish I'd thought of it.

I get annoyed at how often SNM misses their deadlines, but I'm not sure if it's really annoyance or jealousy. If I missed my deadlines like that, I'd be out of a job. If I went to my boss and said that I was not going to make my deadline and that I had no idea when my project would be ready but I'd check in with him in two weeks to give him an update that it still isn't ready, I'd be in the unemployment line in a matter of seconds.
I wish I worked for SNM, where you have deadlines that you don't have to meet and there's no accountability for anything. It's always someone else's fault -- weather, injuries, replication process, yadda yadda. Plus, when you work for Cathe, you don't have to proofread what you write, and that sounds quite liberating.
I wonder if she's hiring.

Katie
what an AWESOME post! and SOOOOOO true!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe low impact series, cathe preorder, cathe presale