Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-11, 09:14 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I
I am really disappointed. And will probably cancel my preorder. (Something I have NEVER done before.)
I know how much you love Cathe and her workouts, so that is saying something.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 09:17 AM  
runnergirl

When I first heard about the pre-sale I was really excited but I did hold off on pre-ordering and now I'm glad I did. It is frustrating that it is this far into the pre-sale and there is so little information and what little there is comes from heresay. Not to say it's not accurate but it would be nice to hear from Cathe.

If she's going to charge $22.95 for these when they are released I don't think that is a value for a 40 minute workout unless the premixes are really good. I think I'm going to hold off and wait for more information.
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 09:34 AM  
Conni

Really glad I cancelled! I wonder if Cathe can only come up with material for 40 minute workouts. Her creativity in choreography is sorely lacking, imo, and one can do only so many "around the worlds" and "rock horse" moves...

I also agree with the poster who is asking for more pics at this point. They could do a much better job marketing this series, imo.

I was going to probably purchase just a few that really got great reviews, but I will not spend $23.00 for a 40 minute dvd.
Old 07-07-11, 09:35 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl View Post
If she's going to charge $22.95 for these when they are released I don't think that is a value for a 40 minute workout unless the premixes are really good.
And that's the other thing, the price of these if indeed they are 40 minutes and $22.95. I don't think I would buy these full-price. The going rate for many if not most single dvds is $19.95 and you are talking good instructors who provide premixes and other options - Kelly and Amy are the first to come to mind.

I don't mean to keep banging the drum. Those of you who know me know that in the past I was all about Cathe. And we know that this is how these preorders go. I guess this was the year I finally got tired of it.

Pascal, I completely understand.
Old 07-07-11, 09:59 AM  
rickets
VF Supporter

I'll try to address the questions that were up the thread - apologies if I miss anything...

Fun factor: I was extremely nervous (this was the first workout of the trip, and I had never been to one of them before), and was intently focused on trying to hear her cues, but I did enjoy it nonetheless. People have different ideas about what constitutes a "fun" workout, though...

Paper plates: Yes, we did work with the paper plates, which I LOVE. I have a much easier time activating my glutes with gliding disc work than with regular squats/lunges.

Length: I am in the same boat as those who prefer longer workouts with premix options, so I was disappointed to hear they would be less than an hour. But, as we can all see even in this thread, a lot of people are looking for something shorter. As long as the finished workouts are as tough as that little sample I got, I guess it won't be a problem for me.

Intensity: For those of you expressing concern that the workout might not be intense enough...let me just say this: when I do Cathe's HIIT workouts, my peak heart rate is generally in the 168-172 bpm range. When I was doing this Athletic Training workout at the road trip, I looked down at my HRM at one point and my heart rate was at 168. So...as high as it gets with HIIT. And it was the best calorie burn of any workout I have done in the entire 2 years that I have been tracking my data. So, if the finished product is anything like the class, it will be plenty intense. Well, for me, certainly!

As for the road trip experience itself, well, it was mostly good. I met some people whom I really liked and with whom I plan to stay in touch. And it was an awesome challenge to try to get through 3 Cathe workouts in a single day - I'm not sure I would have been able to make myself do that on my own, at home. I was insanely sore at some points, but the feeling of accomplishment was pretty great.
rickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 10:25 AM  
DRD0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conni View Post
Really glad I cancelled! I wonder if Cathe can only come up with material for 40 minute workouts. Her creativity in choreography is sorely lacking, imo, and one can do only so many "around the worlds" and "rock horse" moves...

I also agree with the poster who is asking for more pics at this point. They could do a much better job marketing this series, imo.

I was going to probably purchase just a few that really got great reviews, but I will not spend $23.00 for a 40 minute dvd.
In June I did 4DS, and I think that the step routines in this while badly cued are quite creative, so I disagree that her creativity is lacking. So much of her later stuff does mirror the trends in a gym, the videos being very much like the classes offered in gyms.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 10:30 AM  
spufflez

I have a question to anybody who's gone on Cathe's roadtrips before. If you don't like a workout offered, is there a workout room that you can go to with treadmills, etc. to workout while waiting to rejoin the group? Or are you stuck waiting in the room until the workout is over?
spufflez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 10:33 AM  
cheval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
And if the warmups are 5 min and stretches are 5 min, that leaves only a 30 min workout!!!
Don't worry, I'm sure there won't be anything of the sort. You're smart enough to warm-up, cool-down and stretch on your own, aren't you?

I did not pre-order. I have not really been following this. I'm still quite irritated at her response from her last series. Not to say I might not end up with something from this series, but I have enough other instructors on my shelf. In fact, came to the site to see if anything is cooking besides Cathe this summer.

April
cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 11:04 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm also disappointed by the length of the new workouts. I'm not referring to the HIIT workouts, since they should be shorter, but to the other, non-HIIT workouts. Yes, Kelly has her 30MTF series, but they are TWO workouts and there is a premix that combines them for a longer workout (my preference). So you are definitely getting more bang for the buck, IMHO.

That aside, I'm glad you had a good time at the road trip, rickets, and thanks for the info, even if it disappointed.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 11:21 AM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I'm also disappointed by the length of the new workouts. I'm not referring to the HIIT workouts, since they should be shorter, but to the other, non-HIIT workouts. Yes, Kelly has her 30MTF series, but they are TWO workouts and there is a premix that combines them for a longer workout (my preference). So you are definitely getting more bang for the buck, IMHO.

That aside, I'm glad you had a good time at the road trip, rickets, and thanks for the info, even if it disappointed.
i've never done just one workout on kelly's 30MTF workouts (except the circuit one on lift.. and that's ALWAYS and add-on to another workout).... every other one... weights... circuit burn.... TLC..... splits... etc... i do both workouts plus if there is a bonus ab/core section.... i can't imagine, for me, just doing one of her 30 minute workouts... i wouldn't feel worked out at all!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe preorder, cathe presale, cathe road trip