Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-11, 07:25 AM  
johnswife08

Cathe Roadtrip

I have been off the forum for about a week. Was there any BIG news that came out of the roadtrip?

Thanks,
Shannon
johnswife08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 07:52 AM  
spufflez

I'm going to the one at the end of this month. At one time, I had the schedule of classes for that roadtrip but can't find the schedule now. If anybody has the schedule, can you post in this thread?
spufflez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 08:34 AM  
rickets
VF Supporter

I went. The first class did include a bit of a preview of her upcoming "Athletic Training" workout from the Low Impact series. We did it on a 6" step because they didn't have enough risers at the resort to do it as designed. In the actual workout, she said she starts off at 8" and moves up to 10" after a while. The step is used for slower movements with weights rather than for step aerobics (slow squats off the step while holding dumbbells, for instance). There was some work with paper plates (warrior lunges etc). I wore a heart rate monitor for this class (which included a bit of regular step at the beginning - not something that she is planning to include in the official workout, if I understood her correctly), and my calorie burn was fantastic, averaging 9.6 cal/minute for 60 minutes. I think that was partly because I was nervous and had a ton of adrenaline circulating. But, yeah, it was good.

The other tidbit I got, during a Q&A session, was that the Low Impact series will mostly be in the 40 minute range, because customers do not seem to want the longer 60-minute workouts anymore. She did say that at least one of the workouts will be close to an hour long, but that most were shorter than that.

I'll post updates if I think of anything else...

UPDATE: I amended the original post because I mentioned doing forward lunges while picking-up / putting-down dixie cups, but upon reflection I think we used those during a lower-body workout on day 2 of the road trip, not during the Athletic Training workout.

Last edited by rickets; 07-06-11 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Fixed an error regarding dixie cups
rickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:06 AM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickets View Post

The other tidbit I got, during a Q&A session, was that the Low Impact series will mostly be in the 40 minute range, because customers do not seem to want the longer 60-minute workouts anymore. She did say that at least one of the workouts will be close to an hour long, but that most were shorter than that.

That makes me happy... shorter workouts

Thanks for the report!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:11 AM  
ponytail

Quote:
The other tidbit I got, during a Q&A session, was that the Low Impact series will mostly be in the 40 minute range, because customers do not seem to want the longer 60-minute workouts anymore.
Nooooo!!! Ugh. Why can't they just do a timesaver premix on the DVDs and make the workouts shorter that way!!! I do NOT want the main workout to be a 'shorter workout'.

Okay, rant over.

Thanks for sharing the info, rickets. I hope you had a great time at the RT!!
ponytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:13 AM  
spufflez

Yes, thanks rickets. I found the link for the NJ weekend. Step is mentioned as part of the first class, but I'm hoping that it's not aerobic step but the type of step routine you mention.
spufflez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:13 AM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post
That makes me happy... shorter workouts

Thanks for the report!
Me too. I can't always fit in 60 minutes. Although, premixes would be perfect too.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:16 AM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytail View Post
Nooooo!!! Ugh. Why can't they just do a timesaver premix on the DVDs and make the workouts shorter that way!!! I do NOT want the main workout to be a 'shorter workout'.

Okay, rant over.

Thanks for sharing the info, rickets. I hope you had a great time at the RT!!
Yeah, I agree. I guess it suits many people, and I'm happy for that, but it seems it would have been pretty easy to do have both shorter and longer versions (SNM indicates on Cathe's forum that there won't be any long premixes).

I'm still on the fence about these and may cancel my pre-order.

Thanks rickets, I am glad to see some info trickling out! I am happy to read your comments about the intense moves.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:35 AM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytail View Post

<snip>
Me neither! I really wish they would have longer workouts with premixes. Shorter workouts makes sense if you are doing HIIT - I'll have to try these before I know if they make sense here.

It would be a lot faster to churn out a 40-min workout with no premixes than an hour (+) workout with several 40-min premixes... (not to start a Cathe firestorm - I like Cathe a lot, pre-ordered the new set, but this trend towards shorter workouts really takes away from the strength of Cathe's previous DVDs).

Thanks rickets for the info on the roadtrip. The workout you described sounds great!

eta: I am tempted to cancel my pre-order due to the shorter workouts too. 40 min is just too short for me.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 07-06-11 at 09:36 AM. Reason: addition
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:44 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
I went. The first class did include a bit of a preview of her upcoming "Athletic Training" workout from the Low Impact series. We did it on a 6" step because they didn't have enough risers at the resort to do it as designed. In the actual workout, she said she starts off at 8" and moves up to 10" after a while. The step is used for slower movements with weights rather than for step aerobics (slow squats off the step while holding dumbbells, for instance). There was some work with paper plates (warrior lunges etc). She also had us do rapid forward and side lunges to alternately pick-up and put-down a pair of dixie cups. I wore a heart rate monitor for this class (which included a bit of regular step at the beginning - not something that she is planning to include in the official workout, if I understood her correctly), and my calorie burn was fantastic, averaging 9.6 cal/minute for 60 minutes. I think that was partly because I was nervous and had a ton of adrenaline circulating. But, yeah, it was good.

Rickets - thanks for posting. You didn't say if the workouts were fun...did you have a good time? From the pictures I saw on facebook, it didn't look like Cathe used paper plates for anything, right? Did the workouts and the roadtrip in general meet your expectations?

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe preorder, cathe presale, cathe road trip