Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-02-23, 03:23 PM  
seabliss

Today I did 30-Minute Killer Lower Body from Growinganannas. She has a different style than Heather. She likes to more mixing of holds with weights (often after doing the full range of motion move) or pulses or some unweighted faster version, like jump squats, to fatigue the muscle. Last week in her upper body work she had us put a 10-lb weight on our hip and stay in side plank for 40-45 seconds. I hadn't done that with a weight before. So her stuff is hard in its own way. I also walked a lot today. I already had 10k steps by 4:00, and then I had more walking to do. It'll be about 6 miles today.

Cynthia, one more day on the program - you are almost there! That is smart about only cutting dry hair. Ironically, my stylist did her biggest damage after she dried the hair and went back in with the scissors. She just did not stop cutting. It now looks like a helmet or a long swim cap to me, wrapped around my head, with short bangs. Like Carol Brady but longer, with short bangs. I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and hate it so much. I can't figure out in what universe this is attractive. And DH and I are planning on filming another YouTube video this weekend. We are going to start filming regularly. So I guess it's hat season, lol.

F1Mom, I hope the new shoes are much better! What bothered you about tomatoes? I recently heard someone say that age is like the demon that wants to steal your tissue, and that you have to do strength training to keep your tissue. That seems so true. I also feel it is the biggest thing for me as far as affecting the shape of my body.

Lynn, I can see why you would get cabin fever. Being snowed in has its plusses and minuses, for sure. But you're right--when the weather changes, all the frustrations are forgotten. It's February, so hopefully that's enough of that for this year.

Linda, DD is getting her yellow belt in Kenpo this weekend. Some of the moves they do during their warmup look a lot like Tai Chi to me. I think martial arts and related moves are a great practice.

Diana, what are you using for audio walking?
Old 02-02-23, 05:59 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Today I'm doing laundry so easy hand therapy might be all I do. I did a little too much work with resistance last night. The TheraBand Flexbar and hand putty are more entertaining than squeezing a ball but I probably did too much. I'll do tai chi before bed.

F1mom, did you get new shoes? Do they help?

Cynthia, one more day. Yay!

Lynn, the snow is gone but the deep freeze is coming tomorrow. Sorry your shoulder is still painful. I got a new brace for my thumb. It takes the pain away unless I hold the phone too long like I'm doing now. I think I might have thumb and shoulder surgery someday to try to get out of pain. Still deciding but they won't do anything until my wrist is as good as it gets.

Cheryl, congrats to your daughter! I think the martial arts use a lot of the same moves done at different speeds. Every tai chi move is offense or defense. I'm learning how they're used for self defense. Speed up tai chi and become a lethal weapon. I took lessons from a circuit court judge. He does tai chi in his robe in chambers between cases. He said he gets more respect for doing tai chi than for being a judge.

Hi Diana.

Editing to add. Testing the waters, I did upper body with a body bar. The dr said I'd probably never be able to use a straight bar. I didn't have a problem with it. Happy! Happy!

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-23, 07:33 PM  
lynnf

Had to do two presentations on Zoom so only did 15 minutes barre 3. Why is talking so tiring?

Looks like tomorrow the freeze in is over. Public school was closed all week. University might open tomorrow, not clear yet.
lynnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-23, 07:17 AM  
Diana3271

Good Morning, Everyone!

F1mom I understand! I'm turning 55 this year and I have really gotten sensitive about stuff, LOL.

Cynthia Now you have a smart tv, there are a lot of options for variety!

Cheryl I'm using Silver Sneakers. They have everything from 10 - 45 minutes. https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/mpc-15-minute-walk/

Linda Yay for being able to use the body bar.

Lynn Stay safe with the weather.

Steps from yesterday: 6,880

Have a Blessed day and stay safe and healthy.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-23, 02:16 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Wink 4 Weeks done!

Lynn, glad your stylist was resilient after the fire. DD had her hair cut by Eddie (I think of him as Mr. Eddie b/c he is skilled enough to work someplace posh, but he likes being in the clip joints like Great Clips and now Tru Cuts). When he left Great Clips, she was distraught. I set her up for a trim with the young lady who had been cutting my hair for years, and DD fumed for weeks. The trim took off 3 inches and DD felt it wasn't even. The last time (the very last time) she cut my hair I asked for a pixie; she said that wouldn't work for me and I left looking like Prince Valiant; DD said it looked like a mushroom. I went somewhere else and got a pixie cut. I found Eddie when a church friend heard me lamenting his disappearance (oh, my sister goes to him all the time!) and called her sister for his current location. I've gone to him for months now, and he gave me his home phone number in case he changes jobs again.

Linda, congrats for the body bar! I don't use mine all the time, but I keep them and go back to them every now & then.

F1Mom, comfortable, supportive shoes are so important and so hard to find. I've never had PF but I have "duck" feet and even walking shoes and hiking boots seem to be pointed. I found a brand, Altra, that actually has room for my toes.

Lynn, I'm not snow & iced in, but am experiencing cabin fever. Although driving to snow country on purpose probably doesn't sound like fun to you! I had expected to do some traveling after I retired, but covid has really gotten in the way of that.

Diana, are you feeling better? When do you see the gastro Doc?

Check-in: Week 4, Day 4 of 4 Weeks for Every Body -- back & biceps. Glad it's over, but I did really like a lot of it, especially the interesting abwork. Might do it again sometime.

A lot of my Drs are in the same building, which is good today. I have a trip to the lab for a blood draw for the blood Doc to check my platelets, eye Doc to measure my eye for pre-op, and the thyroid Doc's regular twice yearly visit.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-23, 02:39 PM  
lynnf

Barre 3 strength -- these have definitely gotten better and harder. This one had lots of pushups, but also lots of lower body, so very well balanced. Today nice and sunny and I can finally see blacktop on the street. Yay for that!

Cynthia, if you don't have snow, a trip to snow country can be fun, I agree. I want to check out your shoe brand now. I have toe issues (second toe much longer than the big toe, which causes no end of trouble). Hope all is well with the platelets.

Linda, hope your temps don't get too bad and stay low too long. Maybe our warm up will come your way soon. And great news on the body bar.

Cheryl, that side plank with heavy weight sounds rough!
lynnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-23, 04:03 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Lynn, I don't know if you shop on line. If you do, Zappos and Nordstrom both carry the Altra brand. Zappos delivers next day or so and shipping and returns are always free. I get free shipping and returns from Nordstrom; that may be b/c I have their store credit card. They occasionally mark things down while Zappos is nearly always full price. But Nordstrom takes about 2 weeks from order to delivery.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-23, 08:56 PM  
Diana3271

Hi Everyone!

Cynthia Some days are better than others. But it is better than it was because I am really watching what I am doing. My appointment is Feb 21. That's very convenient that your Dr's are in the same building. Praying everything is good with your labs.

Lynn Yay for snow being cleared away.

Check-In: House cleaning Max

Have a Blessed evening!

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 02-04-23, 09:17 AM  
Diana3271

Good Morning, Everyone!

Steps from yesterday: 9,455

Have a Blessed day and stay safe and healthy.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 02-04-23, 04:36 PM  
seabliss

Yesterday was a rest day, and today I didn't get a formal workout because we took DD to get her yellow belt. It was a wonderful experience. Probably at least 100 students in a big gym, some from Porto and some had driven from Spain, with the master teaching them. Young and old, male and female all doing the same moves together like a dance. DD was so proud to have earned this belt.

I did get my steps in, so at least there was that.

Lynn, glad the barre 3 workouts are improving. Lots of pushups is always challenging.

Diana, praying for your system to be healthy and comfortable again.

Cynthia, your stylist sounds like gold. Glad you got his personal number so you don't lose him again.

Linda, congrats on being able to use the bar. One size does not fit all and clearly the doc didn't take your lifelong fitness habits into account.

Waving to F1Mom!