Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-06-22, 07:12 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Erica- Oh my- your calf muscle was cut. That must have been painful and took a long time to recover from! And foot reconstruction...that's a lot! Good on you for your determination to get back to exercise.
Surprisingly, the calf muscle lengthening didn't bother me but the foot reconstruction was huge. My foot was totally rebuilt. The surgeon broke several bones and I have screws and a titanium wedge holding everything together, my heel was shifted over, I had one tendon removed and another one transferred to the spot where the first one was removed. It's a 1 year recovery and I'm at 9 months.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-22, 05:29 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Surprisingly, the calf muscle lengthening didn't bother me but the foot reconstruction was huge. My foot was totally rebuilt. The surgeon broke several bones and I have screws and a titanium wedge holding everything together, my heel was shifted over, I had one tendon removed and another one transferred to the spot where the first one was removed. It's a 1 year recovery and I'm at 9 months.

Erica
9 months in- Do you feel you are healing well?
Old 09-07-22, 05:34 PM  
wendug

Today's workout- Michelle Briehler- 30 minutes Standing Abs Cardio Workout and Michelle Briehler- 10 minutes Ab Burner Pilates Mini Ball Workout. I bought a pilates mini ball for Tracy Effinger's Squeeze workout and I rarely use it. I really just wanted to dust off the ball and use it.
Old 09-07-22, 06:03 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
9 months in- Do you feel you are healing well?
Quote:
Today's workout- Michelle Briehler- 30 minutes Standing Abs Cardio Workout and)
That workout looks really good!

Am I healing well? That's a tough question. If you asked me a month ago I would have said I felt like I was behind where I should be but I'm feeling better now. I can do a lot but still have pain all the time. But it seems like it's improving a lot. I'm very happy with my strength and balance but the pain is discouraging. However, I just started doing a very short run/walk (slooow jog/walk) for ten minutes with no problems so I am delighted about that since I didn't think I'd ever be able to run again and now I am hopeful. I desperately need to clean up my diet and lose weight. I fell apart with diet after the surgery when I wasn't exercising and have gotten into terrible habits and gained a lot of weight.

Today I did IRON Series 30 Min Quad Workout - Dumbbell Leg Day | 6 with the add on that Caroline posted - 20 minutes of unweighted bulgarian lunges.

And...DH and I had ice cream for dinner. Oof -so much for cleaning up my diet. See above about the bad bad habits.

Erica
Old 09-07-22, 07:02 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
That workout looks really good!

Am I healing well? That's a tough question. If you asked me a month ago I would have said I felt like I was behind where I should be but I'm feeling better now. I can do a lot but still have pain all the time. But it seems like it's improving a lot. I'm very happy with my strength and balance but the pain is discouraging. However, I just started doing a very short run/walk (slooow jog/walk) for ten minutes with no problems so I am delighted about that since I didn't think I'd ever be able to run again and now I am hopeful. I desperately need to clean up my diet and lose weight. I fell apart with diet after the surgery when I wasn't exercising and have gotten into terrible habits and gained a lot of weight.

Today I did IRON Series 30 Min Quad Workout - Dumbbell Leg Day | 6 with the add on that Caroline posted - 20 minutes of unweighted bulgarian lunges.

And...DH and I had ice cream for dinner. Oof -so much for cleaning up my diet. See above about the bad bad habits.

Erica
That's fantastic that you were able to do a jog/walk for 10 minutes! Progress is slow...but you'll get there! I've never been a runner, but I know many who are and they feel lost without running. I have a feeling you'll get there with time.

And couldn't we all stand to clean up our diets and lose a few pounds! I love lifting heavy, but it definitely makes me hungrier than with cardio workouts and I don't always make the best food choices.
Old 09-07-22, 07:31 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
That's fantastic that you were able to do a jog/walk for 10 minutes! Progress is slow...but you'll get there! I've never been a runner, but I know many who are and they feel lost without running. I have a feeling you'll get there with time.

And couldn't we all stand to clean up our diets and lose a few pounds! I love lifting heavy, but it definitely makes me hungrier than with cardio workouts and I don't always make the best food choices.
I've been running for most of my adult life and it was a huge part of my identity. Erica = runner. I stopped last May (2021) when I got injured and was trying to avoid surgery and wasn't sure if I'd be ever be able to do it again. Giving it up was so hard and depressing but I tried to keep it in perspective.

I used to be vigilant about my diet and maintained my weight for a long time but I just fell apart with the injury, surgery, and then the concussion. I get nauseated and dizzy from the concussion and it seems like the only thing that gives me relief is eating or sleeping (like being pregnant all over again). And I struggle with low sodium levels so I crave salt all the time even though I supplement with salt tablets. And DH is one of those lucky people who can eat junk all the time and stay slim and have perfect bloodwork so we always have a lot of tempting food in the house and he's always snacking.

So there are lots of excuses (I have more too! ) but I have to get control over my eating - just have to get my mind in the right place.

Erica
Old 09-08-22, 05:39 PM  
gigi

I fell asleep on the couch yesterday after work, then got up and went to bed, so no workout.

Tonight I did that Courtney Anderson 30 Minute Low Impact Workout. I quite liked it, but she does not know how to do a proper side kick. My heart rate stayed up in a manageable fat burning zone. I followed that up with a 20 Minute Full Body Stretch. I am very tight and need to make more time for mobility. My varicose veins in my right leg have gotten worse and bother me during certain stretches.

ERica, I hate that you are battling pain. But gosh, you are doing great with your workouts and getting back into running.

Wendy, having a nice shaped lower body regardless of genetics or workouts is nice.

Today, I missed my mom a lot. It sounds silly but I live a bit in the "country" and my favorite cows have not been grazing for months. Today, my favorite cows were back in my favorite pasture. The cows look so healthy and happy and I love seeing the calves with their momma cows. My first thought was that I'd call mom as soon as school was over and tell her. I also have two of her jean jackets that I finally had to wash. But, I can still smell her scent on them. I have one at school over my chair and just put my nose in it.
Old 09-08-22, 08:01 PM  
wendug

Angela- I love your cow story. Although I don't see cows, I'm always happy when I see certain neighborhood dogs while I'm out walking my dogs. Some of them bark at me to come over and say, "hello!" It's so sweet! And treasure the smell of your mom on your jackets. Scents can trigger so many memories!

I walked a client's dogs tonight so I had 2 dog walks today- mine in the AM and the client this PM.
Old 09-09-22, 01:11 AM  
Erica H.

Angela - the story about the cows was beautiful and not silly at all. That must be so painful when you want to call your mom and can't. I'm sorry. I'm glad you still have her scent to comfort you at times. Grief is so hard and there are so many things that trigger it - sometimes completely unexpectedly. I have terrible varicose veins but fortunately no pain (yet).

Wendy - how fun that you have those dog walks to do.

Today was BOLD Upper Body Workout with Dumbbells | EPIC Endgame Day 2. Not my favorite workout but it was good. My MIL started chemo today and I'm very nervous about how she's going to react to it. She's had so many health problems and injuries in the past couple of years since FIL died.

Erica
Old 09-09-22, 07:00 PM  
wendug

Erica- I hope your MIL does well with chemo. I hear it can be dreadful for some.

Today's workout: CG- Epic III Day 8- Upper Body Destroyer. This workout is tough! I don't think I've seen Caroline drop her weights and rest so often in a workout. For a few of the moves I started at 20 pound dumbbells for the first set, but had to drop to 15 for the second set.

Today I sold a mosaic to a customer in the UK. It's a small piece, but I'm happy people seem to like my work.

Tags
cardio, mobility, strength, walking workouts, youtube workouts