Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-21, 09:34 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Typically, I'm not walking with the same workout instructor each day. I will either alternate the walks, and do something else on non-walking days. Or, I'll alternate the type of walking that I do. I have done walking rotations (one month Leslie, another month Jessica, etc.) but I still need variety so the moves aren't so repetitious. I might change it up by just adding outdoor walking, as that doesn't bother my hip flexors like doing straight Leslie walks would. And, there's always stretching or fusion workouts in the mix so I don't get bored, too!

I had to stop running when I developed PF, and that took a long time to heal.

As I've gotten older I've learned to be kinder to my body and not feel bad about just doing yoga, tai chi, qi gong, classical stretch on alternate strength or cardio days. Or, taking rest days when I need them.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 10:55 PM  
angie_nrs

I rarely do walk workouts, but when I do, I notice my old PF is still there. I can do high impact Cathes, Hiit's, Katami's, etc. and don't notice any PF issues. One day last month I decided to try a Leslie workout I nabbed at the thrift store for an easy workout day and my PF said 'hello'. So, I said goodbye.
Old 04-20-21, 08:22 AM  
laurajhawk

Be willing to modify or mix up the moves if something doesn't feel right. I do a lot of Jessica walks, just got Jenny's Walk Across America. All the traveling - four steps forward, four steps back - it started to get to my hip flexors (and I have an old injury there). She does so much of that move (in the w/o I did, which was Alabama)! So I started subbing it with circles around my space, and when I did do the forward/back, I modified it to four forward/four in place/four back/four in place. That felt a lot better, just because I wasn't doing that same directional switch over & over.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-21, 01:02 PM  
red1013

I do walking workouts sometimes for cardio in my morning workouts, and I do 10-15 minutes of Leslie every night after dinner (it has improved my sleep so much since I started doing this). I've never had any overuse problems, but I do stretch my hip flexors daily. Personally, I find it helpful to vary the moves a little more. Especially in Leslie's older workouts, sometimes it seems she rarely moves beyond the "four basic moves".

This morning I did the 4 mile Super Challenge (Alton is 72! Jo's a grandma! Linda's a grandma!) and I followed Leslie through the first mile and the second mile I did side leg lifts instead of side steps, heels down instead of kicks, and insoles instead of knee lifts. For the last two miles and just mixed it all up. I agree with whoever posted about her stretches, they suck. I did the stretch from Cathe's Butts and Guts afterword.
Old 04-20-21, 07:47 PM  
sillygirl

Thank you for all the good information! I know I can always depend on my friends here for great advice!
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crosstraining, hip flexor, plantar fasciitis, walking workouts