Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-22, 03:30 PM  
Vantreesta

Insight Timer app has tons of free meditations, talks, sleep stories, relaxing music and soundscapes. I use the app daily and have been really enjoying the sleep stories by Michelle's Sanctuary. I'm never awake to hear the end though!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 10:20 PM  
Venus

So many helpful replies! Thank you, especially, for all the journaling information that has been shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
What are your favorite anxiety relief videos? I guess I'm mostly interested in yoga...I'm hoping to find something a bit shorter (although Barbara's practices are pretty easy to shorten as needed). I also like Rodney Yee and have quite a few of his DVDs, but I'm open to other instructors.

Donna
If you have Rodney Yee's Power Up Yoga, I really like the Breathe practice. It starts out a little faster and slows down so you're relaxed by the end. It's a bit longer on the DVD than this clip on YouTube:
Power Up Yoga: Breathe

I also like Element AM and PM Yoga for Beginners with Elena Brower; the PM practice is especially relaxing.
Yoga for Beginners - PM yoga

I have a daily yoga practice which I find helps my mental health. I add in other practices as needed. Most of these are favorites, which may be why they help me with anxiety and stress relief:

Yoga with Kassandra
15 min (17 min) Morning Yin Yoga - Wake Up & Stretch!
Evening Yoga Movement playlist
7 Day Morning Yoga & Meditation playlist
Kassandra's Evening Yoga Movement was suggested already, but I'll second the suggestion. I also enjoyed her 7 Day Morning Yoga & Meditation. It's a great way to try meditation and you can do the videos any time of the day.

Jen Hilman
8 min (9 min) Meditation for Bedtime
15 min (16 min) Yoga flow before bedtime
PsycheTruth: Neck & Shoulder Pain Relief Yoga with Jen Hilman
Jen Hilman also has many videos for anxiety and a Yoga for Anxiety/Depression playlist on her channel.

The Bare Female: Moon Cycle Release
This practice is good during that time of the month, but I've also done this one for relaxation and stress relief. It's a yin inspired flow yoga practice. I like to use an essential oil at the start to relax.

I follow the Yoga with Adriene monthly calendar for my daily yoga practice, but I usually prefer a more quiet practice when I'm feeling anxious. If you have trouble letting go and need form pointers or something to focus on, Yoga with Adriene has several playlists to check out:
Yoga for Anxiety
Yoga for Grounding
Yoga for Healing the Mind
Yoga for Stress
Yoga for Uncertain Times
Bedtime Yoga
Floor Yoga
Gentle Yoga
Guided Meditations
Holiday Yoga
Morning Yoga
Restorative Yoga

I agree that hearing about anxiety at the start/during a yoga practice can be stressful. If you feel the same, try search terms like bedtime yoga, gentle morning yoga, grounding yoga, calming yoga, restorative yoga, yoga for relaxation, etc.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-22, 05:14 PM  
Sollamyn

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, caring words, and support. I hope that other VFers will also find some resources on this thread to help them with their own mental health issues.

My source of stress is bit a different, I think, in that I have had a sort of life change recently where my source of stress, namely my mother's ill health, ended when she passed away on April 22nd. The months leading up to her death were very stressful, as she was in a great deal of pain and became quite disabled in her last few weeks. Now it's over and I am having trouble refocusing my energy and making a transition to a normal life without my mother in it. At least, I believe that is the reason for my feelings of anxiety.

I will definitely be checking out some yoga practices and meditations. I already keep a journal that works for me, walk (outdoors when I can) for exercise, and I try to do some sort of yoga with relaxing music 2 or 3 times a week (but I'd like to increase that!).

Vintage VFer, I have been doing some self talk recently that just sort of came to me out of thin air one day. I was feeling particularly stressed in the days leading up to my mom's funeral and afterward, so I would say to myself something like "I am calm, I am well, I am strong, I have purpose, I can do this...etc., etc." It helped to keep me focused and centered when I felt like just zoning out or running away!

Venus, thanks for the Rodney Yee link. I've saved it to a playlist, as I don't think I have a DVD with that practice on it. I do, however, have the Elena Brower DVD you suggested, but I haven't tried it in quite some time, so I will pull it out and give it try soon.

Leigh1673 I have saved a Travis Elliot playlist but haven't tried anything from it yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Donna
Old 05-24-22, 06:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Sorry for your loss. Peace and blessings to you and your family during this time.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-22, 06:40 PM  
ncl

Travis eliot Yin Yoga. Soooo helpful for anxiety. He has some on youtube and on his inner dimension subscription service.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 08:28 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post

My source of stress is bit a different, I think, in that I have had a sort of life change recently where my source of stress, namely my mother's ill health, ended when she passed away on April 22nd. The months leading up to her death were very stressful, as she was in a great deal of pain and became quite disabled in her last few weeks. Now it's over and I am having trouble refocusing my energy and making a transition to a normal life without my mother in it. At least, I believe that is the reason for my feelings of anxiety.

Donna
Donna, I am so sorry. It's hard to lose a parent, and it doesn't matter how old we are or how old the parent is. It's hard. You are in my prayers.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 09:20 AM  
donnamp

Donna - your situation sounds a bit like mine - you are probably going through some grief as well as anxiety - even at times when it is a "relief" that someone who has been suffering has passed away - there is still grief. And the anxiety you feel may be all the emotions and stress that just have no where else to go - so they are manifesting as anxiety. ((HUGS)) it is hard. But you will get through it.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 09:38 AM  
Dontmindthemess

Donna I’m very sorry for your loss. I went through something very similar when my mom passed away. She was ill leading up to her death but it was still very hard. I really threw myself into exercise when she died, I just needed something stable to hold onto to if that makes any sense. I had gone to therapy to get my issues together before in the couple of years leading up to her death and that really helped me a lot, even if I hated it. My suggestion is that you do what makes you feel good, whether it’s exercise or meditation, spending time with friends and family, or maybe even crafts. Be gentle with yourself and give yourself some grace, this is really one of the most difficult parts of life. (((HUGS)))

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 09:41 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Donna, so sorry for your loss. I think donnamp hit it exactly. The stress and grief after a loss can manifest as anxiety. When my DH died very suddening in December 2020 I went through several months of anxiety. I didn't sleep, I wasn't eating, I felt off for quite awhile. I don't do yoga but I tried some deep breathing exercises and I did outdoor walking but it just takes time to get through it. {{hugs}}
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 10:00 AM  
Vantreesta

Donna, I'm sorry for your loss. I can relate. My mom and mother-in-law passed away in April and March of 2020. I was very close to both, with my mom being my best friend. While I have my own clear identity I felt lost, like I wasn't really sure who I was anymore. Losing stability can definitely cause anxiety. Plus when someone is ill before their death as both my moms were for over a year each, I spent so much energy being strong and supportive and trying to stay positive for everyone that when both were gone, especially so close together, I didn't know what to do with myself. Suddenly all that energy was just gone rather than being available for other things. I had been texting with my father-in-law daily for the whole time my mother-in-law was sick and as he got better and has needed me less, I have gone through another transition of feeling sort of lost. I never thought before how it feels once someone's need for you changes, what that leaves you with. My dads both still need me of course, but not in the same way they did at first. Loss is so much more complicated than just not having that cherished person in your earthly life anymore.

Sending you hugs and prayers. It takes time but eventually I think we all find our new way, somehow. I hope!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anxiety, anxiety relief, grief, journal, journals, meditation, mental health, mindfulness, self care, yoga for anxiety