Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-05, 12:27 AM  
Suzyqt1981

I own earth shoes and like them but don't find it that different from "normal" shoes. I never eased into wearing them or anything like that.
Suzyqt1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 12:36 AM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

I wore them in the early 1970s. Since I was a mere child of 21, I wasn't have been sensitive to alignment issues, but I did find them comfortable. After college I moved to a small ranching community where a friend there was curious about them and called them my "gopher shoes."
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 04:38 AM  
Kyra

I remember them from the 70's, but was too young to form any kind of opinion on them as orthopedic footwear. The claims sound a bit farfetched to me, but hey, if they're comfortable for you, and you like them...

When I had shin splints (well, actually stress fractures) my doc (an OD, I think) recommended wearing clogs because they were more rigid and provided some support. That was in the 80's.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 12:24 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I went to a chiropractor who checks for neutral position of one's arches. With the Birkies and Teva sandals, my arches are in neutral (that's a good thing, according to him). The Earth shoes didn't have the same results (though they are better than some other shoes I tried).
Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused by this as I used to live exclusively in Tevas but have stopped wearing them since my PF flared up as they seem to have no arch support compared to my Birks. Do I just have the wrong kind of Tevas?
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 12:28 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Some remembrances re: earth shoes from the 60s abd 70s. As I recall, the heel being lower was supposed to emulate walking in sand and other natural surfaces. So they were considered great for city wear -- not so great for walking in nature. Take that with some salt if you like.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earth shoes