Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-23, 11:20 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

Yesterday:

48 minute outdoor walk

I may walk again today but they're calling for more high winds and it's cold again too.
I don't know what's going on with the high winds lately. There was a warning on my phone calling today a "red flag" day which means the conditions are conducive for wildfires?? That's a new one around these parts.

NORA, good job with your cross training routine as CAMBET pointed out. I thought a pedometer would be cheaper and simpler but maybe not.

CAMBET, great job with your steps.
Yes I too need to do more cross training.
Well I do walk, and do weights occasionally, but I need more flexibility/mobility which I avoid. Thank you so much for all the details and suggestions for fitness trackers.
I did look at some of the amazon knock offs but the pricing on the fitbits you mentioned isn't too bad. I'll go back and look at the Inspire 2 and the Amazfit again.
It doesn't sound complicated at all so thanks for that.

I too want to get this winter weight off.
I graze all day, not good. I always seem to lose weight after some stressful situation occurs when I get anxious and lose my appetite. I certainly don't want to invite any more of those kinds of situations into my life so I need to figure out a way to control my appetite by sheer will. I've done it before so I'll have to get my mindset adjusted and do it again. It all started around the holidays with all those darn cookies people kept giving me

Have a great day!
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-23, 08:58 AM  
cambet

Good Morning!

Yesterday I took a 61 minute (3.25 mile) walk with one of the Italy crew. I also did Leslie's Classic Walk from the 5 Day Slim Down DVD. Made it to over 15,100 steps for the day.

SB - Great job with your outdoor walk! I'm sure you'll figure out what works for you, in terms of possibly getting a pedometer/fitness tracker. I really get into all of the fitness and sleep stats and find having the Fitbit to be very helpful; my friend just mainly wanted to know how many steps she's taking (to get herself to walk more) and she maybe pays attention to a few other things, but she's not as into it as I am (actually, now that I think about it, I need to check in with her. She lives in a different city and we haven't talked in a while, so I don't know how she's doing with her fitness efforts lately). Just depends on what you're looking for, although, like I said before, you seem to do fine with motivation without a tracker.

I know what you mean about overdoing it with the food. I keep overeating, I think because I feel stressed about some things at work, including some students that I have that are misbehaving and creating tensions in one of my classes. I'll be doing so well all day, but I've taken to late-night binging of cookies or crackers. Or candy. I keep telling myself to just stop buying these things and then I won't overeat them, but sometimes I am able to have them in moderation, so then I don't want to deprive myself. I really do need to figure it out. I keep losing and gaining the same 2-3 lbs each week (from sticking to my plan one week and then overeating the next ). I think that I'm going to have to stop buying the comfort foods until I can get the late-night munchies under control. Hopefully, we'll both figure it out soon. Hope you have a great day!

Waves to Nora!
Old 03-20-23, 09:11 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Yesterday:

KCM Sculpting Rx - W/O 1 one set only premix
- Cardio Core & Floor Finisher premix

KCM can be hit or miss for me but when she
hits she hits it big imo. I really enjoyed the 2 premixes together that I did yesterday and I want to explore the rest of the dvd now. Planning a walk for today hopefully.

CAMBET, wow great walk and step count yesterday! Yes I basically just want to count my steps and maybe push myself to move around more throughout the day.
Not keeping the tempting treats around is a good strategy but like you said I don't want to totally deprive myself. When I lost a lot of weight 10 years ago I had to be so restrictive just to maintain it and it was a very low weight that I didn't need to maintain. So I added some treats in but like everything else it can get out of hand.
I'm fine with gaining a little of the weight back but I don't want to gain it all back!
I'm sure we'll work it out like you said.

Hi NORA.

Have a great day!
Old 03-21-23, 09:34 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

Yesterday:

47 minute outdoor walk

Planning another walk for today hopefully after this morning's dentist appt. Ugh.

Waves!

Have a great day!
Old 03-21-23, 07:31 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Hello ladies.
Today, I went skiing and did a chalene. I also went for a half hour walk. So, that was a pretty good day for me. Other workouts…yoga class on Saturday and (inspired by Cambet), a Leslie YouTube walk. Sunday and Monday some step and a walk.

SB, it looks like the weather is allowing you to get your walks in. Cambet gave you some great advice for step counters. I really like my Fitbit and have had one for years, but there are probably great and cheaper alternatives out there.
Old 03-21-23, 08:06 PM  
Vantreesta

SB, I have been using this accelerometer (pedometer) for years, long before I got my first Fitbit in 2014. Yes, I wear both bc that's just how I am. The pedometer is more accurate for strictly steps than my Fitbit since the Fitbit is on my wrist, so it counts arm movements that the pedometer doesn't but it misses steps if I'm carrying smthg of pushing a cart. I love all the extra stats from my Fitbit but I also like the reality check of the true steps from the pedometer.

https://www.new-lifestyles.com/NL-10...-p/nl-1000.htm

If you decide to get one, definitely get the security strap! It has saved mine from loss so many times!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-23, 08:25 AM  
cambet

Good Morning,

Monday I did 45 mins of Leslie's 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk (with her cool down and my own stretching). Made it to over 10,300 steps for the day.

Well, the 10,000 steps a day streak ended yesterday. I felt myself falling asleep last night before I got in my walk (I had even planned what I was going to do!), so I decided to take a quick nap. I set my phone alarm to wake me up at 11:00 pm, but my phone battery died while I was asleep, so the alarm didn't go off and I didn't wake up until after midnight. I did still make it to over 9,000 steps for the day, so I was kind of kicking myself for not just doing 10 mins of walking before my quick nap, but c'est la vie. It's ok. Falling sleep before the late night munchies kicked in also meant that I didn't overeat yesterday, so there was a silver lining.

It's funny, I was and still am thinking that I need to cross-train but Monday I was going to do a Jessica walk instead of a Leslie, just to mix it up, but then I just didn't feel like it. So, there is something about the simplicity of Leslie that I'm finding appealing right now, and doing her workouts is better than nothing, so I'll probably stick with her until I can get myself to move on.

SB - Great job with your walk and KMC work out. I don't think I'm familiar with that one (Sculpting Rx), so I'll have to check out a preview. Like you, I've gained a little weight back, but I certainly don't want to gain it all! So, I'm going to try to do a better job with the eating.

Nora - Great job with your varied workouts! You are where I want to be. Hope you enjoyed the Leslie workout.

Vantreesta - Just out of curiosity, where do you wear the pedometer (like at your waist or on a shirt)? And do you find a big difference between Fitbit and pedometer step totals? I know that sometimes if I'm having an animated conversation moving my hands, the Fitbit will give me credit for taking steps. And sometimes I take steps that I know it didn't give me all the credit for. I figure it all balances out in the end.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 03-22-23, 11:17 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

Yesterday:

52 minute outdoor walk

Definitely spring was in the air yesterday.
Hoping for another walk today. Unfortunately the dentist found a fracture on another tooth and it looks like another crown is on tap. *roll eyes* This one seems like a simpler fix than the one last year where the tooth broke off and I needed a root canal. All these broken teeth seem to occur in teeth that have the dreaded silver fillings they used to use back in the day.

NORA, wow great job with your workouts.
It does look like spring is trying to make an appearance around here lately.

VANTREESTA, thanks so much for the pedometer rec. I'm definitely looking into that. I too wonder where you wear it. Clipped onto your waistband? I've heard some people clip them on their bras but I don't think I would feel comfortable with that.

CAMBET, good job with your steps!
9K is still a great step count. That's a positive way to look at your falling asleep before you took a walk. At least you fell asleep before the late night munchies.
I have so many KCM dvds I can't remember each one. I have to start keeping a list of the ones I like.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 03-22-23, 04:56 PM  
Vantreesta

I wear my pedometer clipped on my jeans pocket, or if I don't have a pocket then on the waistband. When I'm wearing leggings that have a pocket on the leg I put it in there even though it looks silly. I don't think the one I have would be comfortable at all on a bra!

As far as accuracy, the kind I have was long used as a benchmark to test other pedometers so it has had a very good reputation. There are some days it and the Fitbit end up literally only a few steps different but most of the time I would say the Fitbit count is higher. On an average day (where I meet or come near my goal of 12k steps) they are usually within 1500 steps of each other, I think. I'd have to check my log to be sure though.

Cambet, you're probably right about it all balancing out in the end. It would be interesting to add up a 7 day period and see how close the two are!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 10:56 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Yesterday:

53 minute outdoor walk
Plank and ab work

Yesterday was another spring-like day. Today is raining now but my friend from out of state is visiting and we're hoping for a walk if the weather cooperates.

VANTREESTA, I like how accurate that pedometer of yours is. I was thinking the waistband would probably work best. Thanks for all the info. ETA - 12K steps a day is great!

Waves to CAMBET & NORA.

Have a great day!