Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-05-23, 10:11 PM  
Catahoula Cate

MT, I'll be saying a prayer for you for Tuesday. That's great that your dvd/VCR has been going for 20 years! My VCR(Magnavox) has been going a long time too although probably not that long. It is a combo with DVD but that part didn't last very long.

Sherry, 60's and 70's sound so nice. We have another winter storm advisory until Tuesday morning. I'm trying really hard to not OD on comfort food. lol

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-23, 10:00 AM  
Leonana

Katie, I’m overdoing it on sweets! Warmer weather isn’t helping lol.
Old 03-07-23, 10:53 AM  
Catahoula Cate

Sherry, it's hard isn't it?! I'm looking forward to summer and enjoying watermelon again!

Ebay came through quickly on my new dvd! I got it up and running yesterday and did some of Cathe's Basic Step workout.

Do The Next Thing!
Old 03-07-23, 12:45 PM  
Vantreesta

I seem to be overeating everything lately!! I need to shape up. I have my doctor appointments and labs the end of April and I really don't want to find out my triglycerides have gone up more.

MT, hope your ortho appt goes well today and is helpful.

Katie, yay on the new DVD player!

Sherry, it sounds like you've done a good job maintaining your workouts now that you're working. Keep it up!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 10:05 AM  
Catahoula Cate

I did a youtube upper body stretch sequence yesterday and then later a couple sequences from the Bollywood workout with Hemalayaa.

Vannie, when I got my bloodwork done mid February, my triglycerides were fine but my cholesterol was the highest it's ever been! I know they're different things but it seems like they share the same foods for triggers so I'm a little confused why one is so good and the other so bad.

Do The Next Thing!
Old 03-08-23, 02:12 PM  
Vantreesta

Katie, my doctor sounded like triglycerides are more affected by sugar than cholesterol is. My LDL and HDL were both high but my triglycerides are more concerning. If it's accurate that they're more affected by sugar then it definitely makes sense for me bc I feel like I'm at least borderline addicted to sugar. I have made efforts to cut back but I still eat far too much of it. She said stress and exercise also strongly impact triglycerides. Given how I walk every day and don't have nearly the stress I had when working, I have to believe it's the sugar as well as genetics that push mine up.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 03-09-23, 10:02 AM  
Catahoula Cate

Thanks for that insight Vannie. My blood sugar was slightly higher than normal too so maybe my triglycerides hadn't caught up yet to blood sugar and cholesterol. I really was making some bad choices this winter so it was a wake up call. Stress from a longer than normal winter and being too housebound with the icy conditions I'm sure contributed although not an excuse. I was drinking more hot chocolate and eating too many other sugary things. I've cut out a lot of my bad choices since getting the test results. I don't know how long it takes to see changes but I see my PCP next month so I'll get her take on when to retest.

Do The Next Thing!
Old 03-09-23, 12:30 PM  
Vantreesta

Katie, good job making some changes! I hope they help! I think most of my family has high cholesterol but not sure. My mom and my dad's mom I know had high triglycerides. I just don't want to have to take meds for anything like that! But changing a lifetime of diet is really stinkin' hard!

Old 03-10-23, 09:39 AM  
Catahoula Cate

Thanks Vannie. I'm with you...I don't really want to take meds for stuff like that. That in itself is a great motivator. The chocolate habit is probably my biggest weak link. So I'm trying to choose healthier chocolate (but not always).

Do The Next Thing!
Old 03-11-23, 10:03 AM  
Leonana

I did a couple of Jessica Smith strength workouts at the beginning of the week, WS1 Total Body, and S&C 31 Minute Total Body.

Then I came down with a cold on Thursday. I just got over the last one two weeks ago. I guess it's being over 60 and around kids all the time. I rarely got sick in the past, but I've had three colds since December.

Fortunately, this one is pretty mild. I've been using the sinus flushing squeeze bottle. Neti pots don't work as well for me. I use it twice a day and it's really helped, cut down on the congestion and severity. I'm planning on continuing it for twice a week in the future, to see if that cuts down on the colds. I hate doing it, but it works. It also relieves my allergies.

Katie and Vannie, my test last May showed my cholesterol to be slightly high. They told me to walk more, well I walk a lot now at the school! I wasn't exercising back then, that's when I had the chronic mouth pain. My glucose was normal in the urine test, but slightly high in the blood test. I eat very healthy during the day, I take fruits and vegetables to the school. No sugar, it makes me sleepy when I commute on the highway. But when I get home, I've been bad with the sweets. With my cold this week, I cut out all desserts and candy. I'm hoping that will cut down on the colds, and lower my cholesterol and blood sugar.

I did notice that after a few days I no longer craved sugary food. I think if you can stick it out for a bit, it gets easier.