Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-22, 08:12 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I LOVE Denise Austin! Thanks for reminding me, I need to get back to doing her workouts. She is a great follow on Instagram!
Yay! We seem to share similar tastes!!

I follow her on Instagram as well and she is always posting helpful mini workouts. Her magazine is really good too!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 09:06 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I think there are quite a few instructors that have been criticized repeatedly over the years for certain things, whether the criticizer likes the workouts and/or instructor or not.

Examples:

-Tony Horton and needing to use the "less Tony" feature.

-The breathy voices of some of the Firm instructors (I think from the original volumes?).

-Kathy Smith's (what could be deemed excessive) whooping in many workouts.

-Leslie Sansone and "walk walk walk".

-Jillian Michaels with the extremely low waisted pants and her voice decibel level/shouting.

-Emily Splichal in V-core (people seem to love the workout but not her talking apparently).

-Pauline Nordin's Butt Bible workouts (apparently decent workouts but again, people always seem to add a caveat about the instructor's talking when recommending them).

-Miranda Esmonde-White (of Classical Stretch)'s uneven rep counting on each side and sometimes she rambles apparently?

-TA (Tracey Anderson) has been bashed to death on a number of issues, need I say more?

-Cathe gets criticized for what some feel is late-cueing in her more "recent" step workouts AND that she overworks shoulders AND that upright rows aren't safe for everyone yet Cathe keeps putting them in her workouts AND that her low impact isn't truly low impact or not low impact enough.

And that's just off the top of my head.

I definitely don't hate any instructors and I really hope no one feels marginalized on the forum because they like a particular instructor or enjoy a particular instructor's workouts. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part?

And FWIW, I'm definitely in the camp that thinks Kathy Smith whoops it up way too much, but I still do some of those workouts with the crazy whooping.
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 09:14 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I read and really liked one of Denise's books. I've also purchased all of her quarterly magazines (there have only been 2 or 3). Hope she publishes more. I really admire her, all she's accomplished and how fit and healthy she is.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 09:29 PM  
SEV

Thanks for the background on Denise. I have always admired her and have one of her yoga workouts. I so wish I liked the way she teaches! It's me, not her :-).
SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 10:00 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Denise is definitely an inspiration as far as staying fit as she ages gracefully (or maybe she doesn't age at all?).

It's great that we have so many strong women who were really fitness pioneers still working in the fitness industry. I love that Denise, Miranda, Kathy S, even Cathe....the list goes on and on....they are all 50+ and not slowing down.

I also think it's awesome all the instructors we have to choose from. No reason to not find someone (or something) that clicks.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 10:35 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Denise is definitely an inspiration as far as staying fit as she ages gracefully (or maybe she doesn't age at all?).

It's great that we have so many strong women who were really fitness pioneers still working in the fitness industry. I love that Denise, Miranda, Kathy S, even Cathe....the list goes on and on....they are all 50+ and not slowing down.

I also think it's awesome all the instructors we have to choose from. No reason to not find someone (or something) that clicks.
I agree with this 100%!! It’s so inspirational watching these strong women continue to shine! It is definitely awesome that we have so many great instructors to choose from!
Old 10-28-22, 05:43 AM  
jusca

I'm guilty of overlooking her videos because of her voice. This thread made me watch an interview and her speaking isn't annoying at all. She just seems a little excited in her workouts which seems to exaggerate her voice a little. I found a BeFit workout with her I want to try now.

Thanks for the history lesson. I wasn't aware of her background and how she got into fitness videos.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-22, 06:17 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I like her old Totally Firm in VHS. I got it for an SASE years ago and still do it. I'm glad to see that she now has a magazine. So many fitness magazines are geared to hard core fitness types. This one is for us ordinary mortals.
Old 10-28-22, 06:56 AM  
bubbles76

I like Denise

She is like a peppy little cheerleader. I like her voice too. She's comforting for me, like Kathy Smith and Christi Taylor. I haven't done a lot of her workouts but what I've tried I've liked. I would love her 10-week set.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-22, 07:21 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

More that I learned:

After finishing up her very successful gymnastics career and graduating, she said she found her purpose in life which was to help people get healthy. She started going to businesses and starting fitness programs for their employees. This was still when aerobics was at the early stages. She really is passionate about helping people become healthy. In fact, she said that she is just as passionate today as when she started over 40 years ago. It’s her life purpose.

Her husband said she is the most positive person he has ever met in his life. She really wakes up everyday filled with positivity. She is a glass half full, make lemonade out of lemons type of person. It’s not an act. He said he’s never met anyone like her with that kind of internal positivity and joy.

She is a real go getter and is self made. She turned her passion for helping others into a successful empire all through positivity, dedication, ambition, and hustle.

She said she has never had any plastic surgery and is 100% natural.

Tags
denise austin, dreams - weird, instructor preferences