Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-01-22, 12:17 PM  
Vantreesta

Endurance check in Fall & Winter 2022

Starting off September. I'm so excited for fall! Very ready to be done with 80s for temps. Bring on the pumpkin chai, jeans and flannel shirts, and fewer ponytail days!

One of my goals this month is to do yoga after our morning walks on weekdays. Today I did Happy Yoga With Sarah Starr S7E5. Planning to do my "regular" workouts too but at least I have one thing done!

I took some time to actually think about my goals and habits more and reflected on what has and hasn't been working. I am hopeful that what I set for this month will at least be better than it has been.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-22, 11:48 AM  
Vantreesta

Yesterday I finally worked out. Did the yoga in the morning and then in the afternoon I did Sharona's Hill -THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW DANCE WORKOUT! || Happy Halloween!! || Dance the calories away! on YT for the first time. So fun! Since it was a super hot day I didn't do all my usual warmup stuff before running bc I knew then I wouldn't go so I just did Aztec Athletics -5-Minute Calf Plyometric Workout for Runners and then headed put in real feel 88 and very little breeze to complete 32 minutes from 2.49 mi for 10k trainer wk4 day2. Probably not my brightest idea bc I was dizzy when I got back so I just sat under the fan and drank a whole Gatorade (usually drink half). I was fine but did end up with a headache early this morning which led me to sleep in till almost nine. Oops. No afternoon dog walk after that bc I was too hot and knew Cyric woldn't enjoy it either so for the day 32 minutes (from 2 dog walks 2.17 mi).

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 09-02-22, 10:45 PM  
Vantreesta

Haven't worked out today. May try for a quick yoga practice before bed. Only one dog walk bc of the heat.

I've spray painted four little Dollar Tree dollhouses black. I can't wait to turn them into haunted houses! I've watched so many DIYs on YouTube and hope mine turn out as good. Even though I was excited I just couldn't get started on anything and I realized it was bc I was afraid I would screw things up. I'm a perfectionist so that's hard to overcome. Then I reminded myself almost everything came from Dollar Tree so not a big deal if I do mess up!

Old 09-03-22, 03:03 PM  
Vantreesta

I'm sidelined today. Woke up dizzy and still am. I was awake a couple hours then took a 2-hour nap. Trying to hydrate but it's not easy to drink lying down!

Hope to see others popping in!

Old 09-04-22, 05:50 PM  
Sissy B

I've been lurking and reading the older threads for a while now. I starting reading them because DH got me a Concept 2 rower for Christmas in 2019 and while I have done short rows on it here and there, I haven't established any consistency with it - yet - but I would like to. So I would like to join this check-in

To tell you a little bit about myself, I'm married. My husband has been a shift worker for years so we don't have a normal schedule. My DD graduated from college last December and is job hunting right now. We have two dogs. Belle, a 12 year old female Border Collie Mix, and Thief, a 6 year old male Border Collie. We live on the Gulf Coast and also own a condo in DD's college town so I do travel back and forth between the two. In addition to a few other trips during the almost three years we have owned it, I spent several weeks there with her this summer. I do not have access to a rower when I'm there so that's part of the reason I haven't been able to establish consistency on it.

Besides rowing, I like weight lifting, kettlebells, boxing on the Wii, and I would like to establish a regular yoga practice.

I have chronic neck and shoulder issues that sometimes affect my ability to work out and my shoulder is bothering me right now. If I'm not careful, it will trigger migraines.

Vantreesta - I hope you're feeling better. Fall is my favorite season. I have been ready for summer to be over since May. It's hot here most of the year though. But, even so, I started decorating the mantle and hearth on our fireplace for Halloween yesterday before watching college football with DH. And I totally understand where you're coming from regarding the dollhouses. I'm a perfectionist too when it comes to art and craft projects.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 09:25 PM  
Vantreesta

So glad to see you, Sissy! I'm trying to remember, you were in the Cafe VF check in too, many years ago, weren't you? I'm jealous you have a C2! I would love one but we'll, space and money are a barrier! I do have a very basic rower, a Stamina orbital arm rower that I got for $30 at the thrift store. It's okay but not as fun as when I tried a C2 a few years ago.

I am also married but no kids. I have one dog, Cyric. He is a 5yo German Shepherd/Australian cattle dog mix. He is pretty much my life! He's a rescue with behavior issues that we're always working on and he continues to make progress. I pretty much like any type of workout but I have been most consistent with running, although calling it consistent is a stretch. I'm trying to get back to strength training and also more consistent yoga, which used to be no problem.

I love that you started Halloween decorating too! It is my absolute favorite day of the year, followed by New Year's Eve. I have made some of my decorations before but not as much as this year. I have a huge village that I love and skeletons galore! Fall is my favorite season too. I am happiest when the temp is below 65. I have gotten better at tolerating the heat but I still hate it.

I get migraines too. My biggest triggers are dehydration and too much sun. They're the pits! Hope you can fend it off and get your shoulder happy.

The dizziness is finally almost completely gone tonight, thanks. It's been a real bummer of a wknd stuck on the couch when the weather finally cooled off a little for a couple days. Back to 80s next week, I think.

Old 09-04-22, 10:12 PM  
Sissy B

Vantreesta - I was in the Cafe VF check-in, but it has been a while.

My neck and shoulder issues are from a childhood injury. I have seen a chiropractor in the past, but I still have the occasional flare up. I also have to be careful about lighting and flashing lights. That’s another one of my triggers. It affects my right eye. If I’m outside I try to make sure I always have sunglasses.

Our highs are in the 80s right now because we’re getting a lot of rain this summer. On the days it doesn’t rain it’s 90 or above.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-22, 09:20 AM  
Vantreesta

I was thinking so! That check in has been gone for so many years already!

That stinks that the childhood injury still affects you. When I was working the fluorescent lights started really bothering me but it was more my anxiety than my head. I turned off the overhead lights and used under the cabinet lighting. I think the lights were exacerbating an already had situation but they were raising my anxiety even in stores. My migraines are in my left eye. I actually usually call them eyegraines.

Old 09-08-22, 11:42 AM  
Vantreesta

We were at my father-in-law's for the long wknd so Monday was just driving home. I decided to take it a little easy on the workouts this week just in deference to the dizziness over the wknd, so I haven't run or lifted weights so far this week and yesterday I didn't do anything but toe yoga and walks. I slept so much and so good over the wknd and then came home to barely sleep at all Monday night and only a little better each night since so yesterday I was feeling it and ended up taking a nap shortly after breakfast. When I woke up I ran the errands I had put off the day before and when I got home the baseball game had started so I didn't do much of anything yesterday. 12 innings in the first game, half hour break and then game 2 of the doubleheader. Hubby had had enough by the time the first game was over and went to the basement to watch Babylon 5. Amazingly he didn't make any comments about the mess and overabundance of craft/Halloween stuff all over down there!

Tue 9/6 124 minutes
12 minutes (from 2 sessions toe yoga)
24 minutes (from S. Starr Happy Yoga S7E6 Sunflower Meadow, TV) 1st time
15 minutes (from Sharona's Hill -DISNEY'S HALLOWEEN / VILLAINS WALKING WEIGHTLOSS WORKOUT || Hocus Pocus, Villains, Parade Songs, NBC, YT) 1st time
10 minutes (from J. Reppel 10 Min. Shoulder & Thoracic Spine Mobility | Follow Along, No Equipment | Back Pain Relief, YT)
21 minutes (from PT strength exercises + stretches)
42 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.65 mi)

Sissy, I don't know if you have looked at Dark Horse Rowing on YouTube but Shane (who I love) does Rowvember in November where there's a new rowing workout each day. I have attempted it twice and never completed it. It's a little harder to do some of the workouts with my low-tech rower but I will attempt it yet again!

Old 09-10-22, 04:12 PM  
Vantreesta

The week was a bust for workouts. I got my orthotics yesterday and did a little shopping in them after. They felt totally fine but I did notice after I got home and took them off the big toe joints were a little achy. I'm not worried though since they're actually being made to work like they're supposed to so it seems normal to me that there would be some soreness. The pedorthist seemed surprised and impressed at my twice a day toe yoga.

I've painted some wood cutouts of haunted houses, a ghost, a jack-o'-lantern, and block type signs that say Boo and Eek in the last couple days. I just partially painted a Styrofoam skull, waiting for it to dry enough to do the rest of it. I have two more to do in different colors. Last night I finally started my Beetlejuice wreath but this morning it was obvious I didn't use enough tape to secure the pool noodle together so today I unwrapped all 65 yds of black chenille yarn and had hubby help me do a better tape job. This time I'm waiting till at least tonight to make sure it's gonna hold before I wrap it again.