Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-12, 09:30 PM  
Sophia

I don't have a problem with the titles that talk about being sexy, hot or anything else along those lines. I would definitely buy it if the clips showed a workout that looked appealing to me.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 09:31 PM  
bubbles76

I want to look hot naked . But I wouldn't buy a dvd called Look Hot Naked based on the title alone, because the verbiage is overused. Well, maybe if Christi Taylor or Amy Bento sold it, but I think they know better not to use those terms. Amy Bento did jump on that Xtreme verbiage bandwagon though
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 01:15 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

1) I'm 58 1/2. I really don't give a d@mn if anyone thinks I'm hot or not. My husband loves me, I love me, and I look and feel pretty good. But then, I never found hot to have an inseparable correlation with appearance and didn't really care if people thought I was hot way back when some did, so I'm probably not in her target demographic.

2) I was a cardiology nurse for several years. That pretty much describes my workout philosophy. Hot and naked really only relate to my goals when I'm getting into the shower after a workout.

3) I have allergies that have caused Respiratory Distress Syndrome in the past and a few parts that don't work at their prior capacity. I don't do intense. And people still often comment on the shape I'm in, including my Pilates instructor.

4) I have disliked Tracey and every workout or clip of hers I've seen or tried since she was doing things for The Method. I've given her a fair chance. Stupid titles aren't going to change my opinion. She's just not my style. If she was my style, I'd still probably skip this one.

5) The demographics of Facebook are skewed youngish. Is that her target market? If so, fine, but I do probably have more disposable income and a longer attention span, not that it's going to help Tracey given #4.

6) I've argued that real freedom for women means actually being able to choose what ever it is that makes them happy, even if it's being barefoot and pregnant, probably since before Tracey was out of nappies. But I still look at titles like this and think Seriously? That's the best you can give me?

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 03:41 AM  
topfitmama

I've posted "no" to the title. As others on here, I'm afraid a workout with that title would have too many references to looking good and working out to look good, and that's not what I need when I just barely won the battle against the duvet and I'm downstairs in the dark and freezing cold playroom making myself do a video. Give me positive. Tell me I'm doing something good for my health (a la Leslie), or just stick with telling me what to do next and how to do it.

I agree that the whole "look good/better/hot" naked has been overused already.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 04:52 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
...and that's not what I need when I just barely won the battle against the duvet and I'm downstairs in the dark and freezing cold playroom making myself do a video. Give me positive. Tell me I'm doing something good for my health (a la Leslie), or just stick with telling me what to do next and how to do it.

I agree that the whole "look good/better/hot" naked has been overused already.
Having won the battle with the duvet, I have successfully fought off the "good" Renda from actually opening the door to the basement and going down to do a workout. I appreciate the push to open that door, even if I hearing theme songs to every horror movie made.

Off to do something fully covered in my freezing basement.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 05:09 AM  
bearcatfan

Since I keep my workout dvds in a bookcase in my living room, I vote no.

Karen Jo, that's one of the best posts I've read in a while on VF.
Old 10-10-12, 05:15 AM  
RedPanda

Pfft! I already look hot naked.

If you squinted. Or used Photoshop. Or had bad eyesight.

Seriously, something about Tracey Mallet makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork. But since only me or Mr RedPanda sees my workout collection, I'd buy it if I thought it was a good workout. After all, I like Jessica Smith's Look Better Naked.

I could see that people with kids would want to avoid passing on those messages though.
Old 10-10-12, 05:58 AM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Pfft! I already look hot naked.

If you squinted. Or used Photoshop. Or had bad eyesight.
This reminds of a Gilbert & Sullivan line from a song that I love: "She could very well pass for 42..... in the dusk.... with the light behind her."

On the issue of the title:
On one hand, I feel like I should stand on my principles and not let a title affect my purchasing habits by worrying about what others would think if "Look HOT Naked" was in my possession - at the checkout, on a shelf at home, listed on a credit card bill etc...

On the other hand, there are so many workouts available with titles that don't make me NEED to invoke my principles that it's not even worth the bother of taking that risk.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 06:02 AM  
casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
1).
2) I was a cardiology nurse for several years. That pretty much describes my workout philosophy. Hot and naked really only relate to my goals when I'm getting into the shower after a workout.

Don't like that ridiculous title. I would have to hide it and if my dh saw it he would make lots of jokes. Plus don't even want to think about my 14 yo ds seeing it or my pragmatic competitive athlete dd. She already has asked me why Jari Love wears her workout shorts up so high and said she looks too thin. Fit and muscular are what she admires, not super skinny or hot and naked workouts. I actually really enjoy the two advanced Booty Barres but the titles suck. Sigh.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 06:03 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

The title would not stop me from buying. The fact that I normally don't like her workouts would.......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
embarrassing workouts, hot, naked, self-conscious, tracey mallett, workout titles