Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-12, 04:46 PM  
yahoo205

Getting a Round High Butt

Ok it's getting harder to lose the fat, but also keeping the muscle in my butt. Still i don't mind a big butt, i just want it to be in shape as possible.

i know i need a clean diet, general activity, and cardio for fat loss, but anything else?

Also, which strength or bodyweight exercises really target the glutes to keep them round and high?
thanks!
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 05:05 PM  
Saffie J

Callanetics did it for me, definitely. I had to stop because it was getting too round and high to fit into my clothes. I was able to download the Super Callanetics workouts for free from Daily Motion
Saffie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 05:19 PM  
RedPanda

Heavy deadlifts, KB swings and/or Brazil Butt Lift. Any of these, or all three, should do the trick.
Old 07-26-12, 06:36 PM  
Kyra

I used Bret Contreras program at T-Nation. Went from flat butt to actual butt - and that wasn't even the point, I just wanted to strengthen a weakness.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 06:58 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
I used Bret Contreras program at T-Nation. Went from flat butt to actual butt - and that wasn't even the point, I just wanted to strengthen a weakness.
Did you follow the progression/phases as below (if so, how)? Would you mind sharing your program?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...glute_myth&cr=

or this one?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...e_training&cr=

Don't stop performing your squat, lunge, deadlift, and back extensions movements. Do these on your regular leg day and perform two weekly glute workouts on separate days. The workouts will be brief and won't get you very sore. Always begin each glute workout with a simple warm-up consisting of hip flexor stretches and a couple of bodyweight glute activation exercises.

Phase One: Hip Flexor Flexibility and Glute Activation

Perform two sets of hip flexor stretches for sixty-second static holds, progressing deeper into the stretch as time ensues.

Pick two exercises and perform two sets of ten reps with a five-second isometric hold up top:

Glute bridge
Quadruped hip extension
Bird dog
Hip thrust
Single-leg glute bridge

Pick one exercise and perform two sets of ten reps with a five-second isometric hold up top:

Lying abduction
Clam
Fire hydrant

Phase Two: Glute Hypertrophy
Now it's time to progress into more challenging exercises and start packing on some functional glute mass.

Pick two exercises and perform two sets of ten to twenty reps:

Barbell glute bridge
Pendulum quadruped hip extension
Single-leg hip thrust
Weighted bird dog

Pick one exercise and perform two sets of ten to twenty reps:

Band standing abduction
Band seated abduction
Band external rotation

Phase Three: Glute Strength

At last, we've reached the maximum strength phase. By this time, you'll have developed a superior mind-muscle connection and will be able to maximize your glute activation through heavy strength training.

Pick one exercise and perform four sets of five reps:

Barbell hip thrust
Bent-leg reverse hyper
Bent-leg back extension

Phase Four: Glute Power and Speed
Finally, it's time to test out your new-found glute strength and increased locomotive capacity.

During these sprint sessions, you'll notice increased gluteal recruitment while running, and you'll be able to hold the "sprint position" throughout the entire 100-meter race. Make sure to spend about twenty minutes warming up and progressively increase speed as the sets progress.

Perform these workouts five days apart. On your first sprint session, work your way up to four 100-meter sprints at 80% max-speed. On your second sprint session, work your way up to two 100-meter sprints at 90% max-speed. On your third sprinting session, work your way up to one 100-meter sprint at 100% max-speed. Have a buddy bring a stop-watch and see if you can set a personal record.

When you finish with these phases, you can simply mix together your own glute program based on equipment availability and individual exercise preference. After building up strength on these exercises, your workout will never feel right without having at least one maximum glute-strengthener in your routine. The days of just squatting and deadlifting are long gone.
Old 07-26-12, 07:40 PM  
hotncmom

When I lose weight, if I'm doing lots of cardio and floorwork, it will slim my thighs but I also lose my butt. I have found that the foldover work from Ballet Body keeps my glutes nice and round again.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 07:47 PM  
slysam

I've had good results with Brazil Butt Lift (using enough resistance, my ankle weights are adjustable to 5 pounds each and when I was doing it a lot I ended up doubling up on them for each leg), but also with kettlebell swings, weighted step ups, deadlifts, and single legged training like split squats, lunges, single legged deadlifts, step ups, single legged bridges. There are a lot of options, I didn't do all these at the same time, lol. I am not really sure what works as I heard so many people who lost weight say their bums deflated that I have been working hard to avoid this all along. My hips are probably where I have lost the least inches so I think something is working towards that goal.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 09:05 PM  
Sharaz

Research Picks the Best Butt (Glute) Exercises (02/14/2012)

Also Gluteus Maximus, Gluteus Medius & Hamstrings

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/s...bestbuttex.htm

I have well rounded mass on my butt that came both naturally and from old school deadlifts, squats and lunges, but I'm obssessed on working it constantly because I don't want it to fall My SO said that I look that I swallow two basketball balls (he's exaggerating to much) lol

Yahoo - I like to do my own butt workout now and then picking a couple of butt-specific exercises using challenging weights, using the barbell, going at my own pace slow and controlled to really target the gluteus muscle.

BTW I totally love my "bulky" butt

I like the look of Brett Contreras program. I bookmarked a link posted here at VF a while back and had done some of his exercises. Will check it out for sure

ETA: Four Way Hip Extension = straight leg kickback
Old 07-26-12, 09:44 PM  
yahoo205

Is it good to work the butt every day? Maybe alternate barre type stuff one day with heavier weights?
Old 07-27-12, 01:48 AM  
RedPanda

That could work - I don't know that I'd want to work my bootay every day, but I've had good results from heavy strength training with some barre work thrown in.

Also, I started seeing better results after I started doing glute activation exercises. Fire-walkers seem to do it for me.

Tags
body weight exercises, bret contreras, butt, clam, glute, glute activation, glute atrophy, glutes, gluteus medius, spongebob butt