Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-14, 12:44 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Feeling Like You Have Enough?

Hi everyone

I wasn't sure how to title this, but here is my question: did you ever stop buying workouts because you felt like you had enough of them, and if so, did you stick to your word or did you ultimately change your mind and start buying again?

I ask because I was looking at the Collage going out of business sale and everything just seemed...the same, somehow. Like, Denise has a new walking workout, and I enjoy Denise and I enjoy walking workouts. But I have so many already, both of Denise and of walking. I have numerous disks with more than one workout on them too, so my actual quantity of workouts is vast. I probably have over 50 Leslie workouts, and about half that in Denise. I just don't need anymore.

Same with everything else I have. Any kind of workout I have enjoyed, I've got dozens. I like to mix and match, so that makes it even more because I have some like the ten minute solution series where one segment on a disk can be combined with one on a different disk to make a whole new workout (i.e. it might be a butt blaster dvd and an ab blaster dvd but I can combine two of the circuit-themed segments and get a circuit workout out of it). I have all these short ones ripped onto my computer for easy mixing and matching.

I could probably go six months without repeating a workout, and that's before I start trolling on YouTube for a fresh face or new quickie routine. I just feel like nothing could come out which will offer me something better.

So...passing phase? Will I buy once again, someday? Or did anyone else ever reach a point where they were actually done, and they just did what they had forever?
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 12:58 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Although I did order a few DVDs from Collage, I think that realistically I have enough workouts and variety to last me the rest of my life without much repeating. I hesitated a great deal before I bought the few that I did from Collage, primarily because I don't think there is anything drastically different and new that I'm interested in trying. My only focus on the "new" is that perhaps a "new to me" instructor will have a different take or spin that will inspire me.

I have drastically cut down on buying, haven't bought any of the newest "systems" in years, but I won't say I exactly have "enough" at least in my perception. I don't want to miss anything really great, after all!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 01:04 PM  
geojill

I was surprised to find that I wasn't interested in buying anything from Collage. Granted, I just got DDP Yoga but between that and the other videos I have, I'm actually pretty happy with my collection and variety. I don't want to buy videos in the hope that someday I'll want to do them.
Old 03-12-14, 01:10 PM  
PrairieGem

A long time ago, I realized that for me, workout DVDs are like books. I re-read books over and over, but I like buying new ones, too. New workout DVDs can motivate me, inspire me to push myself harder or get out of a slump by trying something or somebody new. Old favorites can motivate me, too. Sometimes I stick with what I have, for the challenge of re-acquainting myself with old friends... and sometimes I'll be in an acquisition phase, where I like trying new things. It's a relatively inexpensive hobby, and there's really not a big downside to exercise, so...
Old 03-12-14, 01:16 PM  
Sissy B

For the last couple of years I have been pretty content with my collection. I have finally learned what type of workouts that I like and will do. I've also finally realized that just because I like an instructor does not mean that I will like every workout that they release.

Does that mean I'll never buy another workout? Probably not. But it does mean that I'll try to avoid impulse buys and buying something just to buy something, which is why I'm NOT ordering anything from Collage - I don't want anything right now so I'm not going to look for something to buy that I may never use. For the past few years I have been putting a lot more thought into my purchases and doing lots of research (watching clips, reading reviews, etc.) before I decide to buy anything.

I've also quit jumping on bandwagons. I wait until a workout or system has been out for a while so I can make a more informed decision about whether I really want it or not.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 01:21 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

It has been several years since I was in had-to-have mode. Oh, I occasionally get new things, but it's occasionally; it's not a monthly budget line item anymore. Maybe a couple times a year I will take a fit to try something new. Most recently it was P57. And I liked it. But that was the first thing in a long while.

I poked around a bit at Collage but really, even my old tradelist wish lists aren't calling to me. I think I just have too much stuff, frankly. I do a very small percentage of the workouts I already own. Maybe 25% of the stuff on my shelf gets USED with any frequency. One of these days I will be SUPER brave and just DITCH a bunch of stuff.

I'm far more into purging than acquiring these days.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 01:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Joanna - no, but i think this is it for me. i admit i have variations of pretty much the same workouts, and need to purge the "less used DVDs".

to solve this problem, i've started a "to purge" list that includes 3 systems on it, and will add "singles" to it pretty soon.

i'm a member of the VF Declutter check-in, and have been following a declutter rotation posted by a blogger on the web - 365lessthings.com, particularly, the weekly rotational, theme-based declutter section called Mini Mission Monday (it covers 7 days in the week, starting with Monday).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 01:39 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Yes, I have enough. Definitely. I placed a token order with Collage but that's all it was, token. I rarely order from Mary or Amazon either, and plan to buy extremely minimally this year.

In truth, little new excites me. I know what I like (and have plenty of it) and pretty much stick to that.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 01:43 PM  
3ks

Yes and no. I don't splurge on anything other than paying my bills and my dvds. No jewelry, no mani/pedis...nothing. I do it all myself. My dvds are my hobby. I don't feel bad buying new ones. I go back to my oldies and use my new ones. When I hate (absolutely hate ) a dvd, it goes into a box. Eventually a vfr will have something I want for a trade and then I release it. My dvds are all in excellent condition. I treat them with respect.

But, I don't just buy anything. I only buy what I will use...and then again, I don't buy for long periods of time.
Old 03-12-14, 02:15 PM  
NotThatGirl

I looked at collage too and only considered getting Buns of Steel, nothing else appealed to me.

When I first found VF and was just starting out with home workout DVDs I bought lots of stuff. All sorts of different things and different instructors and I did that for a while.

When Ballet Beautiful first launched that was the beginning of the end for my rampant buying of DVDs. I fell in love with it which made me realize that only BB, Tracy Anderson, Essentrics/Classical Stretch, Tone It Up, and Udaya's yoga appealed to me. Since than I have sold back nearly every single DVD I had that wasn't one of the above (or really really similar) and now only pay attention to the new things they come out with.

It's really simplified my life and while I don't feel 100% like I have enough, it's only because I want to continue to support the instructors and companies I am loyal and happy with.
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote