Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-22, 12:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Fun Friday Thread: Reminisce about when retail stores sold fitness videos

Inspired by comments on the Thrift Store Finds thread, let's walk down memory lane and share "brick and mortar" stores where fitness videos were sold.

Ross Stores

in the Thrift thread, i mentioned how i had found a sealed Scott Cole AM PM Tai Chi with a Ross sticker for $8.99 on it. I bought the DVD from the thrift store for $2.99, plus I had a coupon.

I had a nice memory of buying many fitness videos there, like Jari Love, Tamilee Webb, the Firm. i got the bulk of my early Jari purchases there.

other places:
Blockbuster Video (bought several VHS there, like Kathy Smith and The Firm)
Borders Books
Walden Books (bought Callanetics on betamax from there!!! I later upgraded to VHS, also from Walden)

Let's share our memories!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-22, 12:53 PM  
sherry7899

I bought my first exercise VHS in Caldor.(Patricia Walden "beginner" yoga that scared me off from trying yoga again for ages and Susan Powter).

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-22, 12:58 PM  
psupam

I perused the offerings at Blockbuster routinely. Bought Jane Fonda vhs there. I bought some early step tapes at sporting goods stores. By the time I got to the FIRM, I had transitioned to Collage.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-22, 01:02 PM  
MARIKA

OMG I was just thinking about this Yesterday. I remember going To Borders, Media Plus or some Huge store at the mall all the time. It was great. I miss those days so much. It was better than a jewelry store.
Old 07-29-22, 01:31 PM  
alisoncooks

Even Best Buy had a fitness section in the dvd area. I haven’t been in a Best Buy in years, so idk if they even still have dvds…?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-22, 01:52 PM  
sherry7899

I really miss Borders for the books and dvds.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-22, 02:02 PM  
star117

I got my early Jari's at Ross!
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-22, 06:00 PM  
Sollamyn

I used to find fitness tapes/DVDs in Walmart, Target, Big Lots, Dollar General, Kohl's, Best Buy, Dollar Tree...

I didn't have a Ross near me during that era. I do now, but...no fitness DVDs in stores anymore!

Donna
Old 07-29-22, 06:21 PM  
TracyQ

I used to go to Borders downtown Boston on my lunch hour. I was heartbroken when that store closed.

I remember when we were planning a trip to Vegas and I mapped out a Ross (we didn't have them around here). I walked about 45-minutes each way in the July heat to go there. It was 108 degrees..LOL. I bought a bunch of DVDs.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-22, 08:30 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I used to find fitness tapes/DVDs in Walmart, Target, Big Lots, Dollar General, Kohl's, Best Buy, Dollar Tree.
Donna, i forgot about Walmart! ours had a section in the electronics/entertainment dept and sometimes in sporting goods.

other places:

Costco
Sam's Club
Sports Authority
*Sam Goody
*Suncoast Motion Picture Co

*fitness DVDs were lumped together in an "Other' category that included risqué titles.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retail outlets