Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-22, 11:09 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Thanks in advance if you can make any suggestions similar to, but other than, Barbara Eskine, etc.
Susanna Kearsley often comes up as an Erskine readalike, as does Barbara Michaels, an author I read frequently in the 90s. Not all of her books are time slip, but often feature a young woman and a spooky house. She also wrote the Amelia Peabody books and other mysteries as Elizabeth Peters.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 11:56 AM  
rhbrand

I tried to read " All that is Solid Melts into Air" by Darrah McKeon set in Russia, at the time of Chernobyl

But well, I just couldn't get into reading something so "heavy" right now. To much real crap in the world today to read about something that while fiction, is based on a real event that was horrid

So I quit, and started reading "Book Lovers" by Emily Henry. A nice light romcom read.
Old 07-15-22, 12:49 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post

So I quit, and started reading "Book Lovers" by Emily Henry. A nice light romcom read.
I just finished "The Mask of Sanity" by Jacob Appel. I've read quite a few of his books now.

I hated Book Lovers but romcom is not my genre. I read about 1/3 of it and returned it to the library.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-22, 06:42 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I had no idea either! Sounds like the OUTLANDER series fits.

(snip)
Thanks, Beth. Yes, I do believe my friend likes the Outlander series also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Susanna Kearsley often comes up as an Erskine readalike, as does Barbara Michaels, an author I read frequently in the 90s. Not all of her books are time slip, but often feature a young woman and a spooky house. She also wrote the Amelia Peabody books and other mysteries as Elizabeth Peters.
Thanks! I forgot to mention that my friend really likes Susanna Kearsley, too. She has probably read all of her books. I don't recall her ever talking about Barbara Michaels, so I will let her know. She might actually like the spooky house books. She enjoys some paranormal/mysterious/spooky-type mysteries more than I do. I'm more of a murder mystery/who-dunit kind of reader when it comes to mysteries.

Also, thanks, Bunnyhop, and anyone else I may have missed for your efforts. I guess time slip is not a very well-known genre on VF.

Donna
Old 07-16-22, 09:05 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Also, thanks, Bunnyhop, and anyone else I may have missed for your efforts. I guess time slip is not a very well-known genre on VF.
Well, Donna, it is now - thanks for helping us learn something new!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-22, 04:13 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Question: Does anyone have any recommendations for...I think they are called time-slip novels? I'm asking for the friend, as I am not a big fan of that genre. I do know that she really loves Barbara Erskine novels and she has read all the Erskine novels that she can find. She has read them all several times, in fact.
Replay by Ken Grimwood is excellent. I believe though it's the only book he wrote along those lines.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-22, 05:02 PM  
DD546

A time slip series that I've really enjoyed is written by Julie McElwain. There are 5 books in the series. It's about an FBI agent Kendra Donovan who gets transported back to Regency England. There are 5 books in the series so far. I believe the first book is A Murder in Time.

I just finished Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine. Thanks Beth for the recommendation. I also just finished Magnolia Palace by Fiona Davis. I always enjoy her books.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-22, 06:46 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Replay by Ken Grimwood is excellent. I believe though it's the only book he wrote along those lines.
Yes, this is excellent!
Old 07-18-22, 11:12 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
She enjoys some paranormal/mysterious/spooky-type mysteries more than I do. I'm more of a murder mystery/who-dunit kind of reader when it comes to mysteries.
Does she know about Juliet Blackwell? She has two paranormal cozy series set in San Francisco, one about a psychic who renovates historic buildings and another about a witch who runs a vintage clothing shop. I really enjoyed both of them, the renovation one a bit more than the other.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-22, 11:54 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Does she know about Juliet Blackwell? She has two paranormal cozy series set in San Francisco, one about a psychic who renovates historic buildings and another about a witch who runs a vintage clothing shop. I really enjoyed both of them, the renovation one a bit more than the other.
I've read those too! Agree that they're well done.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading