Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-08-22, 10:30 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I am nearly halfway through The Whispered Word by Ellery Adams, the second in the Secret, Book, and Scone Society series, and decided last night that I just don't like it. The characters seem inconsistent, the writing is uneven and I don't care about the mystery. The friend who gave it to me said she liked the next one a lot more so maybe I will just move on to that one.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-22, 02:13 PM  
Dancing Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Let's Get Physical sounds interesting - what did you think of it?
I really enjoyed it! There was a lot of history of different exercise trends - barre, running, weightlifting, etc. - with a focus on how they challenged perceptions of what women "could" or "should" do and allowed women to become empowered in their own bodies.

The book also critiques how many exercise trends simultaneously helped women become more active and reinforced ideas that women's primary purpose is to be thin and beautiful.

There's a chapter on how Jane Fonda's workouts revolutionized the home video market, which made me think of this board.

Overall, it was a fun, entertaining, thoughtful read.
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-22, 02:40 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I finished reading The Last Guests by J. P. Pomare.

I just started reading Atomic Habits by James Clear.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-22, 06:12 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm on a Martha Beck non fiction kick lately.

The Way of Integrity (audio from the Libby/library), Leaving the Saints (autobiographical), The Four Day Win (mindfulness applied to eating habits, apparently)

Also just finished Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (again), she's become my go-to for audio books on long drives in the car.

Still listening to Anthony Trollope's Palliser's series, started Phineas Redux just last night.
Old 07-12-22, 12:48 PM  
Dancing Queen

Just Finished:
Move More at Your Desk (Kerrie-Anne Bradley)

Just Started:
Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity (Julia Serano)
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-22, 01:34 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I just finished Looking for Leroy by Melody Carlson. It was one of my lesser favorites by her. It was okay.

I'm currently reading:

Cooking at Home by David Chang and Priya Krishna. This book is about how to cook without recipes with what you have in your house and to your taste.

Savage Road by Chris Hauty. This is the second in the series by this author. It's pretty good.

The Boardwalk Bookshop by Susan Mallery. She defines "summer reads" for me and I'm enjoying this one.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 08:51 AM  
Schnauzeritis

Just finished The Christie Affair. Really enjoyed it.
Now I'm reading The House Across The Lake by Riley Sager.

You can friend me on Goodreads if you like
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/20012836-mary
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 10:23 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I finished The Book of Candlelight by Ellery Adams, the third in her Secret, Book & Scone Society cozy-ish series. I liked it better than the previous but don't think I will be continuing with the series.

Also just started Cosplay: A History by Andrew Liptak, a journalist I've known professionally for several years. It's really interesting so far--he looks at the origins of fandom in sci-fi as well as the history of dressing up for Halloween. The only problem is that even though the book is paperback, it's really heavy! I have to prop it up on a pillow to read

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 10:50 AM  
BunnyHop

If you like audio books on cd, you might want to look at the Blackstone Publishing listings on Amazon today. I just snapped up three Anthony Trollope novels for what looks like half price.

Was wondering when or if the prices would ever come down, and voila!
Old 07-14-22, 10:52 AM  
Sollamyn

I've recently acquired the latest two books in the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths, but haven't started them yet. I'm finishing up an older Anne Tyler called Ladder of Years.

Question: Does anyone have any recommendations for...I think they are called time-slip novels? I'm asking for the friend, as I am not a big fan of that genre. I do know that she really loves Barbara Erskine novels and she has read all the Erskine novels that she can find. She has read them all several times, in fact.

Thanks in advance if you can make any suggestions similar to, but other than, Barbara Eskine, etc.

Donna

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading