Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-13, 08:23 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I also recommend Barre3 as a barre workout that is gentler on the back. Sadie has lower back issues and you can tell she took that into consideration in designing her method: emphasis on neutral spine (very little tucking at all), controlled movement with a combination of small and large ROM, use of the ball in core work, etc.

Jackie - I agree that Booty Barre is especially tricky. There is a lot of momentum in the fast-paced movement and the form is not great IMO.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 08:41 AM  
flamingoo

Another vote for Barre3. I'm loving their streaming workouts right now! Instruction is excellent and they show modifications.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 09:10 AM  
Demeris

I rejoice that the fitness dvd world is so huge.

I love most barre and do barre regularly.

Pilates and yoga, however, trash my knees and my back.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 11:25 AM  
Stephanie_B

Dabbadooey do you even LIKE barre workouts? I mean if you don't, why do them? I don't like Pilates, I've done a group class, I've done countless videos, and I've done one-on-ones. I just find them boring and while they don't hurt me (I never put myself in a position to HURT per se) I watch time slow down as I stare at the clock in my head so meh, there's tons of other workouts.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 11:27 AM  
Lauracat
VF Supporter

I also have problems with Tracey Mallett, including FuseDance, no matter how careful I am. Thanks everyone for the comments on Barre3 - I've been wavering over the QVC package and will probably buy it now .
Lauracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 11:31 AM  
Dabbadooey

Stephanie, I do actually really like them. Booty barre also did a number on me every time I tried it. I haven't tried barre 3.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 11:44 AM  
Stephanie_B

Hopefully you'll find one that clicks. I ordered B3, and it's still unopened LOL

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 12:22 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Barre work requires a lot of core and abdominal strength, because you are stabilizing your torso while lifting legs out at various angles or bending or squatting, etc.. If the core is not strong, then all those movements will place stress on the lower back. Another major factor in barre work is posture and spinal alignment. Everyone has habits (after age 3 or 4) which throw off posture and alignment and yet feel normal (because it's our habit). So, without having an instructor or someone who is knowledgeable about spinal alignment watching you perform the movements and make corrections, it's easy to be in a position that places stress on the low back while doing the barre exercises. It might be worthwhile to visit a studio where you could get some tips from a barre instructor, so that you can continue doing barre exercises without hurting your back.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 12:43 PM  
Leonana

Crunches or sit-ups, along with ab leg lifts, are what hurt my lower back. I skip those in barre or pilates workouts, and I seem to do okay.

I find that engaging my core, while doing cardio or toning, really strengthens it.
Old 08-24-13, 12:56 PM  
Dabbadooey

My core is fairly strong. I really think it is working out of the tuck/c curve that just doesn't work with my body.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre back pain, momentum