Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-24, 01:51 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

"Cozy Cardio"

Apologies if this has been posted about before.

I saw this article the other day:

It’s called ‘cozy cardio.’ In a world seeking comfort, some see a happier mode of exercise

"Cozy cardio does not require you to:
—squeeze into spandex workout clothes;
—head out into the cold to drive to a fluorescently lit gym;
—lift heavy things;
—get winded to the beat of pulsating music."

I guess the plan is more for couch potatoes who can't get a fitness program going. Anything to get them off the couch.

The article makes it appear that home workouts are easy and good for lazy people. Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

POSTURE CHECK!

Last edited by Vintage VFer; 02-17-24 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 02:10 PM  
Vantreesta

I just listened to Kindal Boyle's Fit Women's Weekly podcast episode on this today. I completely agree with her that this is not cardio, this is movement, which is good for the body, and it might help beginners to get started, but won't get you in shape.

ETA: I haven't actually read the article, just listened to the podcast.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 03:02 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I didn’t necessarily get that it was saying that home exercises are “easy”, just that this walking pad “workout” might get people who don’t get enough movement or don’t exercise at all to do SOMETHING. My niece actually has one of those things, and she sent a pic of it with her cat on it—I hadn’t seen one before. She has a very sedentary job and travels a lot meaning she sits on planes, in airports, etc. so this is a great option for her.

If the weather is bad and someone is unable to get to the gym where they regularly work out and if they don’t have equipment or any kind of setup at home, this isn’t a bad choice. I don’t see a lot of VFers in that category.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 04:36 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I looked up walking pads. Here is one endorsed by Denise Austen.

WalkingPad G1 Foldable Treadmill for Home

I didn't realize that some of them are like mini treadmills!

OK, now I have to start another thread!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 05:42 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Oops! meant to post in other thread!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 09:42 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Alta, I'm getting a message that the article link is invalid.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 10:09 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Alta, I'm getting a message that the article link is invalid.
The link in the original post was missing the initial "h." [The link now works--thanks!] Add it [to what was posted then], and you'll get there!

It’s called ‘cozy cardio.’ In a world seeking comfort, some see a happier mode of exercise

I also have some thoughts about the article but will wait to see if I can post longer posts soon.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit

Last edited by hch; 02-17-24 at 01:31 PM. Reason: updated post
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-24, 05:13 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I've read about cozy-cardio elsewhere too. I believe in the value of low-intensity exercise, but not if that's all you're doing. I thought these were valuable points made in the article:

"Montoye cautions that if you’re downshifting from vigorous daily workouts to something this mellow, the health benefits may plummet."
and
"But for someone who would otherwise watch TV from the couch, he says, it’s progress to watch while walking — especially if it becomes a daily habit."

-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-24, 07:40 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I thought these were valuable points made in the article:
Thanks for posting (I still can't post longer things here)--I noticed similar things in the article. I'm reminded of my mixed feelings towards sayings like "the best workout is the one you'll do," but I can see this sort of activity as a gateway to other forms of movement.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-24, 12:48 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

"Walk It Out" fits the description of cozy cardio to a tee, and lots of people reported health benefits and weight loss. Maybe now they will bring it back!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
article, article link, cozy cardio, walking pad