Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-22, 07:28 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - If You Want Something Done Right, Pay Someone to Do It! 8/21

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-22, 07:50 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

It is just a very lovely cool morning outside! Definitely planning on a walk today! The circus show last night was fun - the theme was ball gowns - many attendees wore prom dresses or wedding gowns from decades ago and flew in them (simple swing). We also had the owners show us their aerial performance for the State Fair beginning this week. It was fun to see friends!

Laura, the Twin Cities Trapeze just opened ten years ago and I was one of its first students - it's grown and improved a lot over time! It's more for common people to go and learn to fly as they wish. Every day is a new lesson. It's nice that every flier gets his or her own lesson when they are ready to launch off the platform, so the same hour and a half session can teach a first timer to fly or a fancy trick for someone that's been going there weekly for 8 years! I'm trying to decide on some of the co-op unit's features - it comes with carpet in the 2 bedrooms and living room - trying to decide if that's something I want to keep or replace with wood floors. Plus lots of other features...

Vantreesta, glad you're having fun with your Halloween crafts! Unfortunately, I have some bad memories of Halloween . Sometimes I ignore it or just minimally get into it, sometimes I'll get into the kids getting candy and just celebrate it in new ways. Cool if you're at the Renn Fair next Saturday! I might just call out Vantreesta every time I see a woman in a belly dancing costume - I'd be calling out lots! The circus I'm talking about is https://www.twincitiestrapeze.com/ - come fly some day!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 08-21-22, 01:17 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today has been a day of rain. It thundered and poured rain this morning. Then, the sun came out for a while until it clouded back up and started to rain again. You might guess that our outside cat, Polly, isn't very happy about the weather today...

We found out that a family member died last night. One of our nieces had a baby at the age of 15 and the father of the baby wanted nothing to do with her. She ended up marrying this guy who died last night, Phillip. He was older than her and ended up being the stability she needed. Plus, he was the best dad to her baby, Danielle, and the two sons they had subsequently. We never knew him well, but were always thankful that our niece married him. We are close to Danielle, the baby she had and that he adopted and my heart aches for her today.

Anita - It sounds like a fun evening. The theme of more formal clothing sounds like a visually compelling one. It's good you got to see friends.

Vantreesta - In my family, it has always been something we have ALWAYS said, "Into every cook's life a few disasters must happen!" If you never make something people don't like, you haven't been trying. And now, you know what to do and not do the next time! I hope you can identify the crafts you most want to try and get the chance to try them. My next goal is to try alcohol inks. I have them, but haven't ever used them, but really want to give it a try. I've been waiting for cooler weather so I can do them out on the sun porch because they apparently smell and my husband is very sensitive to smells.

Paula - I hope your weekend is going well.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-22, 08:27 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 13 Cardio Toning and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Vantreestra, all your Halloween crafts sound so interesting. I'd love to see a picture when you finish them. I checked out your toe yoga and OMG it's probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I can move then in unison but individually, not at ALL, not even my big toe, I'm going to have to work this for sure.

Anita, I love the visual of people in formal dresses swinging on a trapeze! When you mentioned bad memories from Halloween, I recalled when I was in high school, we had a long haired cat, we usually kept him in on Halloween but somehow he got out. Found him the next morning in the garage, someone had spray painted him - he'd been licking himself all night - we rushed him to the vet but he'd ingested so much hair and paint he died. I think the kids (boys probably) may have kicked him a few times too. It's a sad memory. But for the most part my memories of Halloween are good ones.

Laura, I'm sorry for your loss and so sad for your niece and her family. I hope she and the children have alot of support there. I made a new recipe for zuchinni tonight, it looked good on YouTube - it wasn't awful but it wasn't worth the effort either. Next time I'll just steam them and be done with it.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-22, 03:58 PM  
sciencelady

Good afternoon!

Our internet has been out and was promised to return by midnight tonight, but I'm seeing some things working right now, so hopefully I can get a note in! Today has been fine - I took a nice long walk today and read a book to spend time away from the computer - frankly, I haven't read a real paper book in many months . My friends will be getting here tomorrow evening, so I have to clean up the downstairs a bit today and tomorrow. Otherwise I'm putzing - I stopped by Target and also filled my gas tank. on some sushi I picked up from Target for lunch.

Laura, is Polly giving you bad angry glares for the weather - like you're responsible for it? I'm sorry for your niece's loss - will you be traveling to the funeral?

Paula, I don't have the mental skills to move toes independently either - I think a toe yoga video would be frustrating for me! I'm sad your poor kitty went through hell and died on a Halloween - how sad!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 08-22-22, 07:50 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today just melted away and it didn't seem like Monday. I have no idea what day it seemed like, but not Monday. I went to the YMCA and got in a strength workout this morning. Then, I came home and cooked lunch for DH. After lunch, I took him to his physical therapy appointment. This evening has been a bit less busy and we've hung out.

Paula - What a horrible story about your cat. Some people just cannot be understood. I'm glad you've had some good memories to balance that one. As far as the recipe goes, you just never know. I really liked the black bean recipe I made and, surprisingly to me, DH liked it too. It was a lot better than either of us expected. I'll be making it again.

Anita - I hope you get your Internet back tonight. It's good you were able to do some things without it. It's good you had the option of going old school and reading a book!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 08-22-22, 08:14 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Travis Eliot Full Body Yin Yoga and a neighborhood walk with DH.

I spent today doing a few last minute things and packing. We leave tomorrow morning, we'll be gone three nights so I probably won't be checking in again until Friday night or mayber Saturday night. We'll see. We do have wifi in the hotel so maybe I'll check in sooner, we'll see how busy or tired I am. Weather is supposed to be perfect for our flight tomorrow.

Anita, it's funny how attached we've all become to our computers. I remember in high school and college personal computers just didn't exist yet - computers were huge and nothing we imagined we'd be carrying around in our purse. A phone hung on the wall or sat on a table. I'm totally addicted to audiobooks, close second are Kindle books, a far third are old fashioned books. I just returned two to the library today. They were books in a series I really wanted to read that the library didn't have as audio books or ebooks. I takes me alot longer to read those because my eyes just don't like that small print, they water and get sore. I'm lucky to read a chapter a night. I've loaded up my Kindle for this trip, hopefully of the three or four books I loaded one will catch my interest. Yeah, the memory of losing Jeffrey (the cat's name) due Halloween pranks was hard. We didn't get another cat for a long time after that. I've always thought I had good mobility in my toes because I can pick things up with them - I've practiced that, but the video Vantreesta uses where you more the toes independently was an eye opener - I couldn't do any of it on either foot.

Laura, I seem to lose track of what day of the week it is on a regular basis, retirement does that to you. I wonder with so many people working remotely and unusual hours if that will become more common across the age groups. Glad you got a good workout in at the Y. It's always nice when you find a new recipe you both like isn't it - love those "hits". I'm glad you've given Polly a safe haven where she can be safe and warm during bad weather and hopefully you'll keep her in on Halloween. I hope kids don't do that sort of thing anymore but I wouldn't chance it. In my neighborhood few children go out trick or treating anymore, the Association and the Community Center have parties for children and teens it seems most of them go there.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-22, 07:57 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

My internet is back! Wow, I didn't realize how dependent I am on it for a number of stupid things during the day! Today, I have friends arriving from Milwaukee this evening. I still have some cleaning to do upstairs and downstairs, but much of it is done. The weather is beautiful and I'll enjoy the next two days of relative quiet before the State Fair starts up the street from me - traffic chaos and noise! I'll plan for a lovely walk today. Otherwise putzing and cleaning.

Laura, I'm with you trying to remember what day of the week "today" is - it's just today now in retirement . I'm about half way done with the book from the library - it's one my friend that's coming is reading for her book club, The Empress of Salt and Fortune.

Paula, Enjoy your trip! When I read paper books, I do wear magnifying glasses - it does help! It's easiest for me to read from a screen where I can regulate the type size. I'm sorry about your loss of Jeffrey - that's so hard. I felt sorry for losing my Chloe - she was best friends with Cosmo, but didn't get along with the next two dogs and lived alone in the basement - not fun . I'm debating whether I'll get a cat for my co-op unit.

Beth, if you still peek in here, happy birthday!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 08-23-22, 04:46 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today has been a work day, a good one. We had a to-do list and have gotten through most of it. We washed a load of clothes and changed the sheets on the bed, unloaded the dishwasher and cooked lunch (which means I have some dishes to wash now), and vacuumed to pick up cat hair. The only thing left is to change the litter in Polly's box, which we will do this evening.

Tomorrow, we are going to do something touristy. Yay! We haven't done much in this area since moving here, so I'm looking forward to it.

Paula - I hope that your trip is going well. Check in when you can, even if it's after you get back.

Anita - I haven't heard of that book. I hope you're enjoying it. Ugh. The state fair. I remember posts about that from years past. Have fun with your friends! I hope the Internet stays up. It really is ridiculous how dependent we are on it these days.

Beth - If you are reading this. Even if your not. Happy birthday!!!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 08-24-22, 09:28 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I guess I'll talk to myself! We had a really nice day today. We went to lunch at Mellow Mushroom, a pizza joint, in Durham at an historic complex that used to be the headquarters for the American Tobacco Company. These days, it's a mixed-use complex with businesses, restaurants, and shops. Afterward, we went to the Duke Homestead, the farm where the Duke family got their start in tobacco and began to prosper before they moved into their first mansion in downtown Durham. It was interesting and I learned more about the history of tobacco in the world than I really had an interest in, but I did enjoy hearing how it tied into world events and the world economy, not just North Carolina.

Tomorrow, we'll have another work day planned. DH wants to go upstairs and start organizing it before the cleaners come next week. We have a lot of stuff piled around that he had planned on organizing and using (like pictures and frames) but didn't get to. I hope to get some stuff done and put a plan in place for what we are going to do in the next week. DH seems to have really enjoyed all we have gotten done this week and it seems to have taken a load off his mind.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Laura's Workout Mantras: