Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-22, 08:30 AM  
laurawd

Seeking advice re: DVDs

Hi everyone,

Longtime member here (mostly lurker ). I am seeking advice on what do do with my very large collection of exercise DVDs. I have loads of Cathe DVDs, Spinervals DVDs, Yoga DVDs (Rodney Yee, Ana Forest, a bunch of power yoga DVDs, etc.), lots of old CIA DVDs as well.

I'd say that I have at least 100 DVDs geared toward the 'advanced' home exerciser.

I do not use them (even though there some gems), as I no longer keep a DVD player and rely solely on Internet (Apps, streaming sites) or written programs...

I'm open to giving them away or donating them to a 2nd hand shop. ...

Here's the catch: I live in Bangkok. So - there's no market here. I could dump them or I could bring them back to the U.S. with us this summer during a break between international moves (we will be relocating to another country in August but will be in the U.S. in July and will have a large air shipment sent back to the U.S. for July as part of our move).

So - should I send the DVDs back to the U.S. along with the air shipment and try to donate them locally. Is there another option? Is there even demand for DVDs anymore? Should I just say goodbye to them? What do you think?

Thanks for your thoughts!
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 08:47 AM  
Vantreesta

There is definitely still a demand on VF anyway! A lot of people have switched to streaming but there are still quite a few who can't get good internet or still just prefer DVDs. Share the wealth listings still seem to be snatched up.

As to the rest of your question though, I don't know the answer. I don't know how expensive it would be to ship them all or any of that. I just know I get excited when someone says they need to rehome workouts!

Please don't throw them away! Vidiots' hearts will cry!!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 09:01 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I would ship them here without the cases to save on shipping and bulk. You'll take the risk of the DVDs being damaged, but... Then share the wealth here for SASE.

There's a VFer who used (or still is?) have an ebay store selling workout DVDs. You could also give them to her.

I hate to 'throw' them away. They are useful to some.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 09:46 AM  
jusca

If it's not crazy exoensive to add the dvds to the shipment and you have arrangements on where to sell or donate it to, I'd ship it back. There is still a buying market for dvds, including myself.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 10:31 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post

Please don't throw them away! Vidiots' hearts will cry!!
I agree!

I had no shortage of folks asking for DVDS that I agreed to handle for another VFer through share the wealth when she left for Europe.

You could talk to Mary at Totalfitness as well for any remaining DVDs.

There are ministries/organizations that would use them for fundraising depending on where you are staying while in the US.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 10:47 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Is there a local university or English language library that might benefit from them? That might be a more sustainable option than shipping so far.
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 09:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

keep the labels though if you need to remove them from their cases.

i'd bring them back to the US if it's not too much trouble, either in your baggage or via international mail.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 03:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
Is there a local university or English language library that might benefit from them? That might be a more sustainable option than shipping so far.
In the same vein, are there any U.S. military bases or other big groups of Americans in your area? In groups like that, there might be affiliated groups that might get some use out of them.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 03:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
In the same vein, are there any U.S. military bases or other big groups of Americans in your area? In groups like that, there might be affiliated groups that might get some use out of them.
or they could mail it for you to the US using "APO" Army Post Office at USPS rates.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 04:20 PM  
rhbrand

I MUCH prefer using DVDs cause my internet SUCKS. I mean I can stream but only one thing at a time. If hubby is upstairs he can't watch Netflix or anything while I'm downstairs trying to stream something.

Tags
selling dvds