Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls

View Poll Results: How many hours do you sleep at night on average?
Less than 4 hours 1 2.33%
5-6 Hours 15 34.88%
6-8 hours 19 44.19%
8+ hours 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-22, 01:08 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

How many hours do you sleep at night on average?

More than a few of us on VF suffer with insomnia. Either periodically or chronically.

I'm in the chronically camp. On a good night, I will get maybe 6 hours. Never in a row though. I always wake up at about 1:30 am. Sometimes I get back to sleep. Sometimes I get to lie there and entertain the ruminating thoughts for hours. Sometimes that's all she wrote.

Back in the day, I used to sleep like a log. That changed in my early 40's.

While regularly working out is helpful for sleep issues, it has not cured my insomnia.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 02:03 PM  
Buzzer

I've never been a good sleeper. I remember being in my 20's and even then falling asleep fine, then waking up middle of the night and up for hours. I always worried how I would do at work the next day, however I fell asleep and got in a few more hours.

I think it got worse in my 40's though. Now I am reading and listening to podcasts about how important sleep is, and I am on a new mission to try to get more sleep. It's hard to figure out why I don't sleep though! I mean, if you're awake, you're just.... awake. No amount of trying seems to help!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 04:41 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

My sleep is actually better than it's been my whole adult life, but it's very tied to how I eat and what I avoid. If I don't sleep well, I can usually point to something I ate that I shouldn't have.
Old 05-06-22, 04:55 PM  
fanofladyvols

WHO are the lucky duckies who sleep more than 8 hours !!??

I'm so jealous 😭

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 05:03 PM  
Erica H.

I've struggled with insomnia for at least 8 years. It's awful and affects my quality of life. It's really hard to travel and share a hotel room too since I'm up so much at night while everyone else is asleep.

The only time I've slept well during that time was when I had a concussion. That made me sleep all the time but then I was still tired anyway. But it was weird how much I slept after I hit my head. DH was freaked out for a while.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 06:16 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I needed a 7 - 8.5 hour range. I've always slept pretty well, a genetic inheritance from my mother. This year, I started on a medication for my osteoarthritis that has a side effect of making you tired and it's as much a sleep medicine for me as it is a great medication for my joints. So, I sleep deeply even longer.

I'm sorry for everyone who has insomnia. It has to be frustrating and hard physically and mentally.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 06:43 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

I'm so jealous 😭
I know you're only joking but for what it's worth, the opposite side of the coin (hypersomnia) has its own drawbacks. I have had varying degrees of hypersomnia the last decade. I currently sleep 9-10 hours a night. Makes life a bit more frustrating since you get less hours in the days compared to everyone else to get things done. But it's better now. There was a few years I was sleeping 12 hours a night. I've slept more than 12 hours a night too. Had a sleep study and all kinds of testing. Have taken (prescribed) stimulants too in the past to try to help.

My whole life I've always required about 9 hours of sleep to feel fully rested. My dad was similar and used to sleep 8-9 hours a night. I'm admittedly jealous of people like my mom who can get by on 4-6 hours if needed and require generally only 7 hours or so to feel rested and normal. For me, 8 hours is like the bare minimum to be able to function during the day. If I get 7 hours or less, I can't function very well during the day (and the less sleep, the less functional).
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 07:19 PM  
BunnyHop

My new sleep habits involve making sure I'm in bed, resting for at least eight hours a night. If I wake up, I listen to an audio book or guided meditation. If I wake up way too early, I put on a soft eye mask and meditate again.

The meditation thing began as a way to sneak a meditation habit into my life when I was too sleepy to talk myself out of it. It also seems to help me feel better rested.

As others have said, though, my food intake does play a role, but so does being either too hot or too cold.

Winter was great this year, because I got a down duvet insert that's very light, so not too heavy for this climate. In warmer weather I can fold it down and just tuck my feet under it (sleeping otherwise under a single sheet).

Another part of my new routine involves making a deliberate effort not to stress too much about exactly how many moments of actual sleep I get. If I'm in bed between 10:30 and 8 o'clock, that's good enough.

Dozing off to a familiar audio book is a nice habit.
Old 05-06-22, 07:25 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

I'm so jealous 😭
Me! For years I averaged 6-7 hours a night and slept late on weekends to catch up. Six months ago I retired! Now I get up when it feels good, and that’s often between 8 and 9 hours after bedtime. ☺️

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 08:20 PM  
DCW

Prior to having a child I slept through the night and didn't understand how people got up in the night to go to the bathroom. Then I got mommy ears...

Now I have to have the room cool like 65 degrees. I get up in the middle of the night and listen to rainfall sounds on YouTube.

Its easier to exercise and eat healthy than get a real good night's sleep
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia, sleep disorders