Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-20, 01:22 PM  
videofit

Margaret Richard's workout routine during lockdown

Got this in an email. Margaret's humor shines through.

Since 1982, I have experienced great joy in creating the workouts, and appreciation for the viewers that continue to enthusiastically support the Body Electric program. Since being home for several months, and not teaching, I work out with Body Electric Streaming Video, the shows that air on PBS TV with their original music. It is certainly humbling! Here’s what I learned-

1. When I first started working out with the shows, I couldn’t believe that I was looking at myself, much younger, and very strong. It took me a few weeks to get with the program, and enjoy a more forgiving relationship with the instructor. I had to modify a few of the exercises that did not accommodate my 73-year-old knees. However, I was so impressed that I could safely follow the exercises (no contorted, circus-act movements). I was always inspired to work the muscles without stressing the joints. And, it has served us well over almost 40 years! My ballet training certainly paid off.

2. The program works! We exercise all of the major muscle groups with light weights and movements that are offered with variations to accommodate every fitness level. We use light resistance (3-5 lb. dumbbells) to provide a challenge. FYI, it is the pull of the muscles on bones that create stronger bones. Progress becomes apparent when you can accomplish an exercise with correct form, which is most important as it creates safe and effective results. It may be time to go to heavier weights; you can always switch to lighter weights, or no weights.

3. If you are a fellow baby boomer the Body Electric program will support your fitness goals like no other at-home workout. Most of the programs are 27-minutes in length and, if followed in sequence, provide a balanced ongoing program. I have produced 500+ Body Electric shows and I upload them as soon as they are edited.(another hat I wear.) The programs feature the popular music from the 1980’s, 1990’s, and the early 2000’s. You’ll enjoy working out with the Body Electric dancers in scenic locations such as Acapulco, Seaside resort on the Florida Gulf coast, and my very own Orchard Park backyard.

The Body Electric program is about enjoyment, variety, great music and varied locations. We love our instructor and, if you get a bit sore following the workout, join the club!

Warmly,
Maggie

Old 07-04-20, 03:31 PM  
bubbles76

How lovely! I'm sure it's surreal to be working out to yourself though, especially yourself in the 80's But if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I love all of the Margaret dvds I have.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 07:38 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I was doing her workouts almost exclusively for strength training but really burned out. I'm occasionally incorporating some Unpluggeds here and there.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 08:01 AM  
wendug

I missed out on Margaret's Body Electric workouts, but found an Unplugged DVD at a thrift store and picked it up. I've done a few of the workouts and enjoyed them; nothing too crazy (no contorted, circus act movements as Margaret stated) and effective. I'm sure it is odd to work out with your younger self!
Old 07-07-20, 01:17 PM  
KerryF

If only she still made DVD's...
KerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-20, 08:34 PM  
maitai

Such style & class!
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 07:37 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryF View Post
If only she still made DVD's...
I'm not a computer geek but couldn't you join her streaming service for a month and record everything onto a DVD?

Then if you find out how to do that, tell me!

Tags
body electric, margaret richard