Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-17, 08:40 AM  
Lannette

Callanetics Streaming Everything you want to know

I've been getting a fair number of PMS and emails with questions. I thought it would be easier to put up a thread with answers since many of the questions overlap and I can't put the detail into a PM answer that many questions deserve.

1. Do only Callanetics?! Sandra Hanna made the suggestion that I concentrate on Callanetics alone to begin with. The thought was frightening and initially I committed to only 10 days and then a month but ended up continuing longer once the results started rolling in. I do teach brief classes twice a week. I still do that.

2. Do you use the DVDs or just use the streaming? All of the DVDs are on the site. My DVDs and now a few downloads are my backups for internet outages. I enjoy the ease of streaming from my iPad. I have a great stand and it's easy to move the iPad with me from mat to bar.

3. How did you begin? I started out with the Beginner sessions. I suggest you do too. They aren't easy. Well, the Somatics is but it's meant to be. Sandra's beginner sessions start with Somatics that gets you in tune with your body. Kind of settles you down for the main event. I strongly prefer Sandra to Lacey just until you nail your form - more on that later.

The recommendation I received was to do at least one full (at least 45 Minute) session midweek bracketed by two shorter sessions. What I like to do is 1-2 full sessions and 2-3 shorter. I also do Sandra's Daily Stretch as many days as possible.

It's important to review the Master classes, Foundation series, and Quick Tips. They're short. On a day when I do Daily Stretch (21 minutes) I'll spend time on this.

I can't recommend Daily Stretch enough. Even if you can't do it daily - I can't - it helps you to get and stay in touch with your body on a deeper level. This is the "Meditation in Movement" part of Callanetics.

Do you Follow a schedule or just wing it? At first I was doing the beginner sessions with shorter Intermediate sessions. Then I went to a mix of shorter and longer intermediate sessions.

Lately I've been playing with theme weeks.

Instructor of the week Choose 1-2 one hour Sandra sessions and 2-3 shorter Sandra sessions add in Daily Stretch. The same can be done with Callan, Adelaide or Lacey.

Body Split Choose a full upper, lower, and ab session and do Daily Stretch on alternate days. Alternately do two full sessions for one body area and shorter sessions for the others with Daily Stretch mixed in.

Quick Callanetics week Classic Callanetics is my long workout, the three Quick Callanetics are my short sessions. I do Daily Stretch before the Quick I'm doing that day.

AM/PM Week Do both and AM and PM session on three days of the week (there are three different sets) then do Daily Stretch on the days between.

I used this as a recovery week by doing one session a day alternating AM and PM and adding in Daily Stretch. It was great!

I'm working on a few others and will ultimately put together themed weeks that add in other activities when/if I get to that point. I really want to add T-Tapp back in when my SIJ is stable enough.

I'll add to this if/when I get more questions. Ask here or PM or email me. As you can see, I'm not naming names.

4. Do you get a kickback? I figure this is bound to come up. NO!

5. Do you have a favorite Instructor?HMMMMM Sandra is honestly my favorite. Her attention to form and ability to sequence is, as the Aussie's say, Brilliant! She seemlessly weaves Somatics, therapeutic stretching techniques and Katy Bowman's concepts into her Callanetics classes. If you have pain or areas that just aren't right she's your gal!

Callan: I appreciate Callan so much more now that I filter her through what Sandra has taught me. I can't believe how much I didn't get despite doing her original DVD weekly for like 15 years!

Adelaide: No one can pack 30 minutes as completely as Adelaide. She's no longer adding workouts but the WOs that are available are great, very demanding, but great.

Lacey: I'm still working on connecting with Lacey. She seems to have a Pilates vibe, which is great, but it seems to infiltrate her form. I find that off putting because I'm trying to perfect my form.

For instance, she will tell you to do 1/4-1/2" pulses and then do 2-3" pulses akin to the hundred. This impacts results because if your counter extensions are in place per Sandra and Adelaide you can't pulse more than the tiniest bit. It's impossible. (There's a foundation vid on this.)

She also does the voice fry thing and it drives me bonkers. I want to send her some fisherman's friend throat lozenges. Once I am more solid in form and especially with relaxing and not reacting I know I'm going to love her stuff. Lacey was sent to me for a reason!

Update on Lacey - So I was able to download the Countdown WOs and did the Beginner. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Lacey has some very unique ways of setting things up. The voice fry was gone or not noticed. Her cuing was great. I'm anxious to do this one again.

Yet another Lacey update - She is becoming a favorite. (Can every instructor in a group be your favorite? This morning I did Callanetics Extreme and loved it. I've been feeling frustrated and after doing this WO I realized that I needed more of a challenge that would show me concretely the progress I've made. I was able to do all of the open closes but admittedly did rush the last two. With right leg in front I'm 3" from a full split, with left leg in front only an inch away. My forehead is on the floor in the wide leg forward bend and about 3" off of my shins in the leg together forward bend. (When did that flexibility return?)

One more Lacey update, I've done Callanetics Countdown Level 1 5x, Level 2 10X and Level 3 5X. I'm liking Lacey more all the time and am getting stronger with each workout. This is really a well done set.

Brenda: No sessions. She's active on the forum and gives great feedback and explanations as does Sandra and a few others. Brenda is awsome. If I get to California I'd take a class with her in a heartbeat!

6. Do you do Cardio? How much? How often? Prior to committing to Callanetics I used my Bellicon daily. I've done so once in the last three months.

I teach and oversee Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab classes three days a week. I wore a Fitbit and discovered that I typically hit 6,000 steps by 9:00 AM on those days and 12,000 plus by dinner time on those days. I easily hit 10,000 on other days. The Fitbit sensed those steps as being active movement. All of these steps are done in minimalist shoes - virtually barefoot.

I decided that I'd just concentrate on Callanetics and try to heal my wonky SIJ. So my results are without cardio.

One thing I don't think would be beneficial would be to overtrain. If some is good more is definitely is not better.

7. The streaming site doesn't work for me! Check out THIS INFO. Scroll down to see the chart. It explains which browsers work best with the various OS. My internet is extremely slow but I'm set up the way they recommend and I can stream without buffering. The definition of my streaming is probably not as high as someone who streams from a truly high speed internet but on my iPad Pro (smaller one) I don't notice.

8. Lannette, how do the new callanetics differ from the originals? I have been doing Callan's old quick callanetics as of late. I am toying with purchasing some of the new stuff. I would love to stream, but out internet is terrible and I am sure I would get freezing. I like to do some cardio everyday and do about 20 or 30 minutes of toning and/or stretching. Any suggestions?

First of all, form elements have been updated since Callanetics Evolution, the biggest change being that you do not constantly contract the pelvic floor. Holding a block between your knees in the first bent knee ab exercise will contract the area sufficiently. (I hold the block but don't squeeze it.)

Sandra talks about keeping your check points in place - aligning hip bones, pubic "bone" and lower ribs in the same plane. (I'm always poking myself to check this! ) You want your hip bones and pubic "bone" Level even during the abs exercise where one leg is up and the other extended just off the floor. It's easy for there to be a tiny tilt going on.

She also talks about counter extensions. THIS write up on my blog is actually how I think of counter extensions even though the post itself is about T-Tapp form.

Sandra also talks a lot about Callan's concept of total body relaxation even as you're working. Her Somatics Daily Stretch is a great 21 minute way to learn this. It's only available for download or with streaming. It feels like relaxation but for me it's been a vehicle for form and aesthetic improvement and at the same time a barometer of the way my body is rebalancing itself. For instance, I started noticing that one of the seated upright Somatics movements at the end of Daily Stretch was improving and not two days later realized I can do the seated pretzel hands free.

Lacey Kondi leads the new DVDs. I didn't click with her at first but now I really enjoy her approach. The new Callanetics Countdown gives you three workouts, though only Level one fits your 20 minute time frame. If you can do downloads and care to there are tons of great short WOs that fit the 20-30 minute window.

I honestly think the best thing is to have something from each of the Instructors - Callan (which you have) Lacey, Sandra and Adelaide. If you go to the streaming site I'm pretty sure you can see short clips of the downloadable WOs. There are several short sessions by Lacey being released on DVD this spring. (Remake of Callan's AM/PM and a beginner session) I personally love the shorter and beginner sessions because I can work ultra deep into the movements. If you see something and want to know more pm or email me and I'll give you a mini-review.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss

Last edited by Lannette; 01-01-17 at 08:40 AM. Reason: To add
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 08:58 AM  
Donna D

Thanks Lannette for sharing! Appreciated the time you devoted to this.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 09:13 AM  
Demeris

Thank you, Lannette. This is wonderfully comprehensive, and ditto your comments on Sandra's instruction.

I hope your SIJ stabilizes.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 09:25 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
Thanks Lannette for sharing! Appreciated the time you devoted to this.
Not that much time because I cut and pasted some of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Thank you, Lannette. This is wonderfully comprehensive, and ditto your comments on Sandra's instruction.

I hope your SIJ stabilizes.
Demeris, its sooooo much better than three months ago. I'm also more aware and can feel it going off before it's an issue.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 01-01-17, 09:26 AM  
mandie123

Thanks for sharing.I just got the new 30 day dvd and will start that tomorrow.I do prefer Sandra,am glad I downloaded some of her classes,as now I can't stream
Old 01-01-17, 09:31 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandie123 View Post
Thanks for sharing.I just got the new 30 day dvd and will start that tomorrow.I do prefer Sandra,am glad I downloaded some of her classes,as now I can't stream
I'm sorry you can't stream. I thought if it worked for me with my awful connection, it would work for anyone. Obviously not.

Please let us know what you think of the 30 Day DVD once you try it. I'm waiting for it to come to the streaming site.

Old 01-01-17, 11:03 AM  
Lannette

I just noticed that the new DVD has been added to the streaming area.

One workout is listed under the beginner area, one under Intermediate and one in the advanced area.

There's a paper clip, which normally means additional info or a download. I'm just finishing up downloading (ever soooooo slowly) a WO I purchased yesterday. Once it's done I'll check out the additional info.

ETA: There's a new Sandra Hanna Intermediate session as well. I wonder if that's on the 30 day DVD?

Last edited by Lannette; 01-01-17 at 11:10 AM. Reason: To add
Old 01-01-17, 12:30 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
ETA: There's a new Sandra Hanna Intermediate session as well. I wonder if that's on the 30 day DVD?
Lannette,

Sandra is not featured in the 30 day DVD. I had questioned on Facebook why the new DVDs do not feature Sandra. I can't find the post right now but was told that Sandra had filmed a DVD in Sept and that it would be available for sale in a few months. I wonder if Body Beautiful is the new DVD?

Just noticed on Facebook that Karen Oliver wrote - "love this picture - can't wait to see the DVD".

Last edited by Donna D; 01-01-17 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added more info
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 01:47 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Thanks Lannette for all of this information! Very helpful for those of us interested in Callanetics!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 02:21 PM  
noraW

Lannette,

Thanks for the thread! I signed up yesterday and did a 30 minute beginner workout. I agree with the meditative aspect of the workout. I feel a bit of the work today which is very impressive considering how gentle the workout was. I am looking forward to incorporating these workouts to my routine, I have a live class Barre Code membership which I'm enjoying as well. Callanetics wasn't even on my radar until your posts. Thanks!!
noraW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callan pinckney, callanetics, lacey kondi, pretzel, sandra hanna