Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-22, 10:00 AM  
Vantreesta

Favorite ways to save money

I hope the prefix type is okay as I'm looking for hints and tips rather than offering them. And I'll tie it to fitness to keep it in topic bc the more money I save at the grocery store the more I have for workouts, gear and gadgets!

Our grocery bill keeps getting bigger as I'm sure everyone else's does. Part of it is overall price increases, part is having to buy name brands when our store brand is out of stock and part of it is attempting to choose healthier food options.

I make a three week menu and the corresponding list for it and then buy everything except for produce that won't be used in the first week. Then I make small runs as needed for the next produce, eggs (always!), bread, milk, whatever things we run out of or I couldn't get before. With leftovers and some weekends away from home, this menu usually lasts a month.

I know a lot of people go to 2-4 stores to get all their groceries and I have never done that (unless smthg is out) bc I hate running all over, but I'm starting to think I should in order to get the best prices. Yes, gas is up too but our stores are no more than like 5 miles apart.

So my question is, what are your tips and tricks for saving the most money you can while still getting what you want? Not just for groceries but anything else you have tips for. Are there still websites that offer coupons? Do you subscribe to your store's weekly ad?

Thanks!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 10:03 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I use apps for the local grocery stores and download digital coupons, base my weekly menu on sale items.

I hate Walmart but I go to the local Super Walmart once a month for shelf stable or frozen grocery items.

I use men's grooming products such as shaving cream, razors and deodorant. Women's products are ridiculously marked up.

I buy gas and groceries in bulk from BJ's. I get my annual BJ's fee back in the first month.

Good thread, thanks for starting it!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 10:12 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for those tips, Pat! I just downloaded our grocery store's app and hope it will help. If nothing else I should be able to stay on top of when our fuel saver points are about to expire. Our store is on the other side of town and we have a different gas station practically next door so sometimes our points expire without my knowing bc we usually get gas at the one by us.

I use men's shaving cream and razor too. I dislike the girly scents of women's shaving cream. I never thought of deodorant. I'll have aook next time I need more. I need to remember to check Dollar Tree for that stuff too.

I'm not sure if a bulk store would be worth it for us or not as the nearest ones are about 45 minutes away. We don't have BJ's but I wonder if Sam's or Costco do like a free one day pass or smthg to see if there's enough to make it worth a trip.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 10:35 AM  
Gams

I don’t know if this counts but I recently discovered that if I start an online order somewhere and don’t complete it, a lot of stores will e-mail me and offer me free shipping if I complete my order. I’ve saved quite a bit on shipping. 😄
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 10:52 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I wonder if Sam's or Costco do like a free one day pass or smthg to see if there's enough to make it worth a trip.
i'm a long time member of both and if i recall correctly, although they might let a non-member shop in there, they add on a surcharge. best way is to shop with someone who is a member, then you will truly get club member prices.

before i became a Sam's club member, i would shop with either my sister or sister-in-law. finally, we became members once Sam's club added a gas station.

we do 99% of our food shopping at Sam's and Costco. There's 5 of us in our household, all adults, and we have been very good about having almost zero waste. we buy produce there too.

I purchase items from Walmart and Target that I can't get at Sam's/Costco or items in smaller quantities like a single loaf of bread, kefir, cat food that our cat likes (), fudgesicles, cheese slices, etc. i have a CVS member card that earns points - they send me coupons every week and if i need something, i get it there, but only if it makes economic sense to do so.

i bring my own lunch every day using food purchased in bulk. i also catch the bus to work even though i have company-paid parking. i've used public transportation forever, even before the gas prices started increasing.

riding public transportation gives me a chance to walk - i get about 2 miles round trip or 4600 steps.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 01:00 PM  
jusca

Groceries
I bought an indoor Aerogarden and started growing my own organic vegetables/lettuce, some fruits, and peppers. I eat a lot of peppers whose prices are too high for how many I would use weekly. This has cut down my produce grocery bill significantly. One little pepper seed has fed me for nearly 1 year lol. I don't have to keep buying grocery store produce that goes bad after a few days. And I get to try out more exotic produce. The aerogarden produce stays fresh for a long time on the plant depending on the veggie.

The initial cost of the Aerogarden was pretty high. I bought it with 40% off coupons at kohls. I mostly enjoying growing organic produce. It's not the most cost effective way to reduce grocery bills but it works for me and what I eat a lot.

Earn Gift Cards
If I am making a large purchase online, I'll run it through Klarna and pay it back because you earn points towards a $5 gift card to several stores like Walmart, etc.

FetchRewards is kinda cool but takes way longer for me to earn points as I buy generic foods and mostly fresh meats and veggies.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 01:01 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

We shop Costco, Walmart, and a local surplus organic buying club for groceries.

My biggest money savers are meal planning, not making additional grocery store runs, and not eating out. I really hate going to the grocery store for 1 item because then it turns into 5.

I grow tomatoes, raspberries, zuchinni, and cucumbers.

I have the app Upside to save on gas, groceries, and some dining. I am lukewarm with it. I think a better savings is just to fill at Costco or look up prices on "gas buddy" apps. With my husband no longer commuting to work, we don't fill up like we used. The grocery stores and restaurants aren't ones we typically frequent.

As far as fitness, I don't belong to a gym. I have a couple streaming memberships and am thinking I need to cancel one that is monthly as I'm not using it.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 01:56 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
Groceries
I bought an indoor Aerogarden

Can you share which one you bought?

Gams - I don't usually get free shipping for stuff left in my cart but I'll frequently receive a promo code for a discount to complete my purchase.

We meal plan, don't eat out, buy in bulk when there are sales on nonperishable foods, take advantage of free trial memberships, group errands together so we don't waste gas, shop sales and use coupons, etc.

I also have reached out to manufacturers of products I like or want to try and request coupons. Some have contact forms on their sites or you can contact them on social media messengers as well.

I love Rakuten and have received a lot of money back from them for things I already would buy anyway. If anyone hasn't joined and wants to, contact me and I'll refer you - we'll both benefit that way.

Oh, I shop at Amazon a lot when there are discounts, lightning deals, subscribe and save, etc.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 02:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Gas

When I earn enough points at the grocery store that offers discounts on gas when you spend enough, I go and get the gas pretty quickly so I don't forget and they don't expire. I also put gas in near our house. You know how there is always an area where the gas is cheaper? We live there.

Online shopping on anything

I've gotten to where I check multiple sites on any online purchases. Costs for items can vary widely, even when it's on sale everywhere. I recently bought Breathe Right strips for DH and where I got them was $4/box cheaper. No one site always has the cheapest prices.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 02:20 PM  
jusca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Can you share which one you bought?

I have the Sprout, Harvest, Harvest Slim and 2 Bounties. I started with the small 3 hole Sprout and my collection grew from there within 6 months. The Farm models are interesting and bigger but just way too expensive for the limited things it can grow, in my opinion. The mid-range Bounty model is the most flexible model in terms of how much and what you can grow. I think it's the best value too. Not crazy expensive like the Farm. For the least expensive option with moderate growth room, I'd opt for the Harvest.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shopping