Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls

View Poll Results: How many hours do you sleep at night on average?
Less than 4 hours 1 2.33%
5-6 Hours 15 34.88%
6-8 hours 19 44.19%
8+ hours 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-22, 07:47 AM  
fanofladyvols

adawn I'm glad you shared that because I never realized there could be that possibility.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 10:18 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I know you're only joking but for what it's worth, the opposite side of the coin (hypersomnia) has its own drawbacks. ...
adawn - Thanks for sharing a different sleep experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
... Its easier to exercise and eat healthy than get a real good night's sleep
Good sleep, exercise and proper nutrition are the basic pillars of health. Despite trying pretty much everything, I can't get the sleep thing right.

I read a good article recently (and can't find it now). It stated that if your sleep is bad you can make up for that by keeping the other areas of your life under control.

So, I do my darndest to keep up up the other two pillars!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 02:29 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

According to my Fitbit, even on mornings when I feel like I had a good night's sleep it's always in the six hours or under zone. It's still and improvement over the no-sleep nights or 3-4 hour nights.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 02:42 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
adawn -

Good sleep, exercise and proper nutrition are the basic pillars of health. Despite trying pretty much everything, I can't get the sleep thing right.

I read a good article recently (and can't find it now). It stated that if your sleep is bad you can make up for that by keeping the other areas of your life under control.

So, I do my darndest to keep up up the other two pillars!
I find it very difficult to control the nutrition part when I'm exhausted. I just want carbs and sugar - maybe for the energy? And I don't have the mental strength to resist either because I'm so darn tired and feeling sorry for myself.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 02:52 PM  
jusca

I need 8 consecutive hours to feel well rested. 7 is doable in the short-term. If my sleep is broken, I'll feel tired the entire day. Bathroom breaks don't break my sleep cycle as long as no one or nothing stimulates my brain like trying to have a conversation, loud noises, or turning on bright lights.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 08:33 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I only sleep 5-6 hours per night. I never feel quite rested because of poor sleep. I'm envious of people who can sleep uninterrupted for 7 or 8 hours per night. I wish I could.
Old 05-07-22, 11:41 PM  
Vantreesta

I never used to have any problems sleeping. That changed some in 2018. I thought it was from work stress but I quit my job in Feb 2019 and it didn't help. But I still do sleep better than a lot of people. My problem is I'm a night owl so I stay up too late but I feel lazy if I sleep past 7 so I typically get like 5-6 hours of sleep a night, though some nights are 4-5. Worrying doesn't generally bother my sleep but restless legs syndrome does. But when I am asleep I sleep like the dead, almost nothing wakes me but my alarm. I never even hear hubby's.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-22, 09:40 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I voted in the 6-8 hours of sleep, and generally I average about six hours a night. It is rare that I ever get a full eight hours.

I feel exhausted all the time from being sleep deprived. Even though I'm retired, I know I'm not accomplishing all that I could during the day. Coffee in the AM is a must.

When I don't rest well, I don't eat well either. It's a vicious cycle. I still exercise (no matter what) at least 5/6 days per week. But, what type of exercise I do depends on how I feel. I do a lot of walking, hiking and try to do a couple strength sessions per week. If I have a low energy day, I'm doing Qi Gong or Tai Chi just to get moving.

I just had a consult with a sleep clinic and it's believed I have mild sleep apnea. It was suggested to me that I be fitted for a mouth guard, as that might be better alternative to a cpap machine, in the beginning. Those OTC mouth guards are not especially easy to wear and it really takes some getting used to. We'll see....

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-22, 09:45 AM  
Vantreesta

Pam, I didn't realize mouth guards can be used for sleep apnea. We're pretty sure my hubby has it but he said since he won't wear a CPAP mask it isn't worth being checked for it. Grr. My sister-in-law's dad passed away from it. I will have to mention the mouth guard possibility to him. He may be more agreeable to that. His snoring has gotten so bad some nights I have to sleep in the living room. And it sounds so painful! Although I haven't noticed the gasps to start breathing again for a long time so maybe it's just snoring?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-22, 10:40 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Pam, I didn't realize mouth guards can be used for sleep apnea. We're pretty sure my hubby has it but he said since he won't wear a CPAP mask it isn't worth being checked for it.
My mom wouldn't wear a cpap mask (or even try one) so she opted for the "nasal pillow" option once she was finally officially diagnosed with sleep apnea. Apparently it doesn't trigger her claustrophobia and is comfortable?

She now gets more sleep at night and doesn't get drowsy during the day anymore.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia, sleep disorders