Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-22, 04:13 PM  
bfit

OT: Still struggling with the low salt diet

I am still struggling with preparing food for my husband's relatively low salt diet. It's been about 6 weeks now, and we're just scraping by with meals. I've given it my all buying low salt or no salt ingredients, buying low salt cookbooks, modifying recipes, and just cutting some of our favorite meals out entirely, but what typically happens is that I put a lot of effort into making something from scratch, and then we sit down to eat it and it's just OK (and sometimes awful) and not really worth the effort it took to make it. I am so tired of fish and chicken that tastes like cardboard, and plain quinoa is just awful. Neither one of us can see a nutritionist on our health insurance, and I'm not sure that a nutritionist could help with cooking anyway. The idea of sticking with this for the rest of our lives is starting to get depressing.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 04:33 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I am still struggling with preparing food for my husband's relatively low salt diet. It's been about 6 weeks now, and we're just scraping by with meals. I've given it my all buying low salt or no salt ingredients, buying low salt cookbooks, modifying recipes, and just cutting some of our favorite meals out entirely, but what typically happens is that I put a lot of effort into making something from scratch, and then we sit down to eat it and it's just OK (and sometimes awful) and not really worth the effort it took to make it. I am so tired of fish and chicken that tastes like cardboard, and plain quinoa is just awful. Neither one of us can see a nutritionist on our health insurance, and I'm not sure that a nutritionist could help with cooking anyway. The idea of sticking with this for the rest of our lives is starting to get depressing.
Have you researched the "no salt" recommendation? Not sure why you're doing it, but you may want to talk to some other healthcare practitioners. What I've read is that recommendation isn't necessarily grounded in science. Maybe seek a second opinion?

My only other suggestion is Penzey's has some very nice salt free spice blends.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 04:47 PM  
BunnyHop

I second the rec for salt free seasoning blends.

I've made up a few, converted some recipes by just leaving out the salt, and found some online.

For me, the basic advice about balancing sweet, sour, bitter and umami is helpful. For this purpose, I leave out salty. Does it need heat? Which kind of pepper would go well with what I'm serving?
Seems a bit bland? Add a splash of lemon juice (or one of those lemon packet-things, not sure those are no-sodium, but they are convenient.)

My dad's saving grace was hot sauce. Yes, it has some sodium, but a few splashes of that was enough to jazz up the entire meal.

Also, in terms of food prep, what other flavor boosting techniques do you use in general food prep??

Are there some favorite recipes you'd like to adapt? Maybe we could help you brainstorm ways to boost flavor??

I did so much of this kind of stuff for my dad, I mostly do it by instinct now, but I'm happy to share what I know.
Old 05-06-22, 08:34 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sauteing (sp?) onions and/or garlic is an excellent way to cook without salt. the smell and aroma will season the other ingredients, be it meat or veggies.

i have personally seen a marked decrease in my HPB by focusing more on balancing my intake with potassium-rich foods. low sodium V8, beet juice, and sweet potatoes are key foods for me. i haven't needed to go uber-salt free too - i honestly eat foods that have salt in it and don't go through the trouble of removing all of the salt from prepared foods.

at the same time, i avoid ramen, hot dogs, and cold cuts because it flares up my joints causing pain.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 01:25 AM  
jusca

the trinity (onions, bell peppers, and celery) turns most dishes into a tasty meal. certain herb combinations are helpful too. oregano and thyme with carmelized onions and low sodium broth can turn chicken or pork into a delicious entree.

do you have an example recipe that you think was so so?
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 06:43 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Have you researched the "no salt" recommendation? Not sure why you're doing it, but you may want to talk to some other healthcare practitioners. What I've read is that recommendation isn't necessarily grounded in science. Maybe seek a second opinion?
I second this if you haven’t already done all the reading and/or talked to experts. The university/medical center I work for does not recommend low salt diets these days unless under a doctor’s orders. The doc will have gathered info leading him/her to conclude that a particular patient’s high blood pressure is caused by high sodium.

Here is one article with some info: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0521071410.htm. You might already know about all of this and know that low salt is right for you of course.

My personal story: My trainer put out a 90-day challenge that included no salt. Salt was a problem for her as it caused major water retention. I took the challenge just for fun, and I had the same food experience: it was never much of a pleasure to eat. During that time, my normally low blood pressure rose to a higher level. Standing up from sitting too quickly stopped giving me those few seconds of vision loss and dizziness. That was a benefit but wasn’t worth the loss of food enjoyment. I thought the blood pressure change from low to normal must have been coincidence since lowering sodium is supposed to decrease blood pressure, but then I read that low salt diets have been shown to be able to cause high blood pressure.

Soon after that 90-day challenge was over, my cousin died from her zero salt added diet plus the recommended volume, on the high side, of pure water. I used this to go back to my WAY too much salt diet (not recommended of course), and my blood pressure went back to the normal low-ish.

As for improving taste when low-salting is part of the equation: I gave up fried foods long ago, but I found that potatoes pan-fried in avocado oil tasted sort of good once I had been on low salt for a bit, and eating those potatoes at the same time as eggs scrambled with a bit of avocado oil made the eggs not-so-bad.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 07:02 AM  
Leonana

I’m no doctor obviously, but I have heard of two instances of low sodium.

My sister-in-law’s mother was put on a low salt diet by her doctors. Eventually, she ended up in the hospital because of a salt deficiency. She now has more salt in her diet.

A friend also ended up in the ER because of low sodium. Hers was caused by drinking too much bottled water and not enough minerals in her diet.

I think the standard American diet does have too much salt. However, I believe we need some salt in our diet.

I switched back to regular iodine salt from sea salt. I have a thyroid nodule and wonder if lower iodine contributed. Perhaps not, but thought I’d get more iodine in my diet.
Old 05-07-22, 08:10 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I really like some of the flavored balsamic vinegars from California Balsamic. Their balsamic vinegars have no salt, no sugar and no oil. They have many different flavors to choose from and you can buy them in a small 3 ounce size to try. You can put them on salads, steamed veggies, cooked grains, legumes, etc. Here is their website:

https://californiabalsamic.com/produ...gory/balsamic/

Some of my favorites are:

Ruby Red Onion Balsamic
Smoked Hickory Balsamic
Teriyaki Balsamic
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 02:32 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I have no idea if it's true but I have read several articles indicating that regular table salt is the culprit, not sea salt.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 03:21 PM  
warriorprincess

It will be an acquired taste to eat with less salt. The one thing I've discovered about taste buds is that they start preferring whatever it is that you're feeding them most often. Hang in there. Be persistent.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high blood pressure, low sodium, salt