Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-16, 01:17 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have mild osteopenia, but plyo is out for me as I have cranky knees. Walking and rebounding are my main forms of cardio. One of the main reasons I bought a rebounder is for the bone building effects as per this article.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/43...ips-and-spine/

Yoga can help with bone density, the book Yoga for Osteoporosisis a good reference. I imagine CS would be just as effective for similar reasons. Here is a link to an article regarding the 12 yoga poses for osteoporosis & osteopenia.
http://sciatica.org/yoga/12poses.html

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-16, 01:49 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
I increased bone density by rowing and again with strength training. No plyo for me either. Anytime the muscles are tugging on bones it's a good thing. Ten doctors will have ten different opinions and most don't have a clue anyway.
That's what I would think. I don't understand why the force you exert when walking wouldn't be bone density building... I really haven't studied the topic very extensively, though. Maybe minute for minute you get more out of plyo, but I think for me (and maybe many people) the cons of high impact outweigh the pros.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-16, 02:15 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

There are a couple bone strengthening episodes...one in season 7 and one in 10 for sure.

Miranda talked in Colorado and in her book (Chapter 17---Protect Your Bones) about the importance of the relationship between muscles and bones. Like Linda said, it's the tug of the muscles on the bones. Body weight counts---all movement counts. Of course Miranda is going to say stretching and strengthening through dynamic movement counts. (Side note: I was blown away by how smart Miranda is....she knows her stuff.)

I think key is to not be a couch potato! Find something that you love to do that takes some exertion.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-16, 07:45 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Plyo is out for me too but I do a lot of rebounding, and my osteopenia has not increased in the last ten years. I am also menopausal. I do like CS and Essentrics but I find a lot of Miranda's health claims to be a bit outlandish.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 01:28 PM  
mrs lightyear

Miranda posted this on facebook today

http://www.betterbones.com/blog/default.aspx
mrs lightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 04:11 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs lightyear View Post

Thanks for link, off to check it out.

PS, I love your avatar!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 05:20 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs lightyear View Post

Who is alundquist who wrote the post? Sound like she works for Miranda? She refers to "our" website.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 05:27 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have a difficult time believing that CS or yoga can help bone mass. If you have a low body weight, or are underweight, you aren't going to put much stress on the bones doing body weight exercises.

I feel that one must add weight to stress the bones to maintain mass. I lift weights in workouts. I also wear a 10lb weighted vest almost every evening while we play Wii bowling.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 06:51 PM  
LAC

I believe the results of Dr. Fishman's study on yoga for osteoporosis indicated some gains for the spine, but nothing of significance for the hip. Also, keep in mind that there are some yoga moves that should not be done by people with low bone density due to risk of fractures (forward flexion is particularly bad).

This post by Physical Therapist & Therapilates instructor Sherri Betz is a few years old, but will give you some ideas as to what does/doesn't help to build bone, based on long-term studies: https://therapilates.wordpress.com/2...healthy-bones/

My understanding is that while rebounders don't help build bone, they do help with your balance. Maintaining good balance and preventing falls is a very important fitness component for anyone with osteoporosis!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 07:08 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post

My understanding is that while rebounders don't help build bone, they do help with your balance. Maintaining good balance and preventing falls is a very important fitness component for anyone with osteoporosis!
Yes they do improve balance. But I have read several articles that state NASA uses rebounding to build muscle & bone density in astronauts. From what I can see, these are articles were not written by rebounder manufacturers.

https://www.endalldisease.com/nasa-s...ised-by-man-6/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/43...ips-and-spine/

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote