Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-22, 10:03 AM  
donnamp

Movement throughout the day

Hi

I'm an office worker - and have been working at home now for over 2 years...

I know I need to move more throughout the day!

I saw that Lucy Wyndham Read has a posture/mobility challenge:

https://www.lwrfitness.com/latest-challenge/

These are great for getting up from your chair and just doing a few minutes of movement. They take up no space, so even if you are working in a traditional office, they are do-able.

I just did the first session as a mid-morning wake up. It did feel great and was probably better for me than getting another cup of coffee!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 10:17 AM  
Luv2WO

This looks really good! Thanks for sharing. I sit all day for my job and was just looking at standing desk converters on Amazon. My posture is suffering because I find it hard to sit up straight for long periods of time. I definitely need to get up and move more.

I am also going to try and squeeze in 15 to 30 minutes of Leslie a day. It is so hot outside I'd rather just stay inside and move!
Luv2WO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 10:18 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks!

i've been back in the office since December and I also need to move more.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 10:19 AM  
donnamp

I have contractors in my house right now, but once they are done I plan to start instituting a 15-30 min walk during my day. It is funny, when I worked in an office I had no problem w/ taking a daily walk, but now I feel guilty being away from my computer for more than 5-10 minutes!

But I think a lunch time walk, either indoors or outdoors, is necessary and maybe a two of these little stretch sessions - mid morning and mid afternoon.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 11:50 AM  
star117

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I have contractors in my house right now, but once they are done I plan to start instituting a 15-30 min walk during my day. It is funny, when I worked in an office I had no problem w/ taking a daily walk, but now I feel guilty being away from my computer for more than 5-10 minutes!

But I think a lunch time walk, either indoors or outdoors, is necessary and maybe a two of these little stretch sessions - mid morning and mid afternoon.

Donna
Donna - I'm the same way! The days I telework, I rarely get up from my desk out of guilt! IDK why!! I reallyyy want to do a 30 min walk daily, but just haven't made myself do it.

diana
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 11:56 AM  
kat999

An old job I had in the late '00s through mid '10s had me getting up and taking regular walks throughout the day, all year round. Now that I'm a teacher on a 9-month contract with limited in-person teaching days, I only get a lot of "natural" movement two days a week, 30 weeks a year. On my WFH days and all summer, I have to really force myself to get that same level of activity that my old job had me doing naturally, without guilt. Why do we do this to ourselves with telework??
Old 07-25-22, 02:34 PM  
DD546

Thanks! This is really nice.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 07:24 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

When I worked from home, I would put a phone conversation on the speaker and walk around the house. It was easier in meetings where I was basically listening and wasn't expected to say much. If it was a video call, that didn't work so well.

Sometimes, I would put a meeting for 15 minutes on my calendar, mark it private so people couldn't see what it was, and go for a quick walk.

Sometimes when I was working on an intense project, I would turn my status to busy. When I'd come to a point where I was stuck, I would go for a walk outside to clear my head. It usually worked.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-22, 08:55 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

Donna
I’m the same way, but it’s not so much guilt as a change in my daily routine. I am a hybrid worker and regularly take walks on the path around my building. When I work from home, I am planted at my desk all day. I prefer to work at work and not at home because I get more movement in, but sometimes it’s just too distracting so I have to be at home to work on projects.

I have not figured out how to get past my lack of movement at home, although I do sometimes get up and lightly bounce on my rebounder for 5-10 minutes here and there. Walking my dog is out of the question because he stops every 10 feet to smell things and it takes forever with him.
Old 07-26-22, 01:15 PM  
Dancing Queen

I'm working from home indefinitely. Since I work out before work and can easily sit at my desk until 5:00 if I'm not intentional about moving more, I've been trying to add more movement to my day.

I've been using the Pomodoro method: set a timer to work for 25 minutes, then take a 5-minute (movement) break. I use that 5 minutes to take a dance break, to walk around my house, to do a load of laundry, to do squats and lunges at my desk, or to do some gentle stretching - I try to choose something that my body says it needs right then. I am also trying to be more aware of my posture during the day.

(Obviously, this doesn't work during meetings, so I make sure to move before and after the meeting. Even if I skip half of the movement breaks during the course of the day, I'm still moving once an hour, which is better than nothing!!!)

I signed up for a month at PilatesAtYourDesk.com, which has all kinds of movement breaks from 1 to 45 minutes (I heard about it from the book Move More at Your Desk by Kerrie-Anne Bradley, who runs the website). I am enjoying the membership, but it's way too expensive (30GBP per month) for me to do long-term.
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lucy wyndham read, neat activity, sparks