Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-14, 04:21 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
For short & gray I don't think anyone can beat Jamie Lee Curtis, though.
Awesome picture of her! And I agree.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-14, 03:00 AM  
Negin

Thank you all for your wonderful replies .

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
I'm sorry the Lush Henna is giving you frizzy hair.
So on my off week, I do a little bit of oil treatment. Basically, apply oil to my wet hair the night before and shampoo/condition as usual the next morning.
It's not the henna that has given me frizzy hair. I've had frizzy hair since my late 20s. I'm now 46. What I meant to say is that the grays are obviously more frizzy than the rest of my hair. The Lush Henna was lovely at first - absolutely delightful. Now, it's just okay - nothing to write home about. Not sure if it's even worth all that bother and mess, if you know what I mean. I do lots of deep conditioning and use good products in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Dying my hair helps the texture. It smooths the hair shaft, getting rid of the frizzies better than if I let my hair go gray. I am not one of those lucky people who would have that beautiful, silky looking silver hair. If I was, I wouldn't hesitate to let it go gray. So for me, it's as much about changing the texture of my gray, as it is changing the color.
Now you've gotten me thinking that maybe I should color my hair. I don't particularly want to and know that I'll have to later deal with when to stop, but if it helps to get rid of the frizzies, maybe.
Old 11-04-14, 07:16 AM  
mandie123

I've always had course thick hair,now at 59 it's about 75% gray.Been adding in hightlights for a long time,but am thinking about letting it just grow out.Any suggestions for products,as like some others the gray sometimes just looks dry and frizzy looking
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-14, 09:29 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
For short & gray I don't think anyone can beat Jamie Lee Curtis, though.
Dame Judi Dench rocks the short gray do!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-14, 07:50 PM  
OrangeSofa

I'm (originally) a dark haired brunette, in my fifties and currently tapering off my hair dye habit of twenty-plus years. I hate to think how much I've spent having color professionally applied for all those years. I do agree that gray growth blends in better with blonde hair than brunette. In a way I wish I hadn't colored for all those years because the process of getting away from the color without looking awkward is a challenge.

I had a lot of highlights in my hair so that by the time I decided to start the transition, my color was, and is, closer to blonde than it's ever been. My stylist has been using semipermanent color on my roots to ease the transition. So far it seems to blend pretty well, so that I don't have the extreme dark/light line. It may take me a couple of years to grow it all out.

When I started coloring, I did it because I thought the gray would age me. Now I think the artificial color ages me. I finally have the face to go with the gray hair, and I think the gray will soften my face. I'm ready to embrace the silver.

"The cha-cha is no more ridiculous than life itself."-Whit Stillman
OrangeSofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-14, 08:05 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
It's not the henna that has given me frizzy hair. I've had frizzy hair since my late 20s. I'm now 46. What I meant to say is that the grays are obviously more frizzy than the rest of my hair. The Lush Henna was lovely at first - absolutely delightful. Now, it's just okay - nothing to write home about. Not sure if it's even worth all that bother and mess, if you know what I mean. I do lots of deep conditioning and use good products in between.
If you felt like it, you could try a powder henna. It would be cheaper, and honestly, I never liked the idea of the Lush premade bricks. Not doubting the quality, but just that you are stuck with their formulation-and while I tend towards dry hair all that shea butter would kill my hair. Also, when I henna my hair, I henna all my hair for the conditioning benefits, but only indigo the roots for the color, because i dont like what indigo does for the texture of my hair. Also, I add lemon juice to the henna stage (~1-2T of concentrate) for dye release and that seems to be what smooths out my frizz. (For a couple of applications I used brewed black tea and while that gave my hair a nice heavy look, it also increased my frizz and fly-aways.)

I know what you mean about wondering if its worth the bother and the mess though. Two stage process is a gigantic pain. But when I'm done, I always fall in love with my hair again.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 04:14 AM  
Negin

Thank you all again. Although I haven't replied to everyone, I just want to say that your posts are all greatly appreciated. I'm learning a lot.

Quote:
If you felt like it, you could try a powder henna. It would be cheaper, and honestly, I never liked the idea of the Lush premade bricks.
I've been thinking the same thing. What henna do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSofa View Post
I hate to think how much I've spent having color professionally applied for all those years. In a way I wish I hadn't colored for all those years because the process of getting away from the color without looking awkward is a challenge.
When I started coloring, I did it because I thought the gray would age me. Now I think the artificial color ages me. I finally have the face to go with the gray hair, and I think the gray will soften my face. I'm ready to embrace the silver.
I'm keeping your post. It's so encouraging for me to remain patient during this transition process.
Old 11-05-14, 07:25 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
I've been thinking the same thing. What henna do you use?
Well, I'm sort of in between henna powders right now. Currently I have enough to get me through to the end of the year. If For Nature With Love gets some in before I need some, I am going to buy a pound of theirs and try it since it is a good value. I've also been thinking about Silk and Stone as well, and they sell indigo too. I have used Jamila BAQ and the cheaper Jamila Henna for Hair in the past and they worked fine. Jamila is a respected brand so that might be a way to go. I might just buy the cheap Jamila Henna for Hair this time around since I do the two step process, and don't need some perfect tone from a particular powder if I'm just going to cover it with indigo. Here is what is advertised as Jamila BAQ on amazon for $5.5/100g shipped, which is the lowest price I have seen. Here is the cheaper Jamila Henna for Hair for $3/100g, but would have to pay shipping. For indigo, so far, only Sundina Indigo from mehandi.com has worked for me. The other Mehandi indigo and the hennasooq indigo don't stick for me and leave the red showing after two weeks. But I am currently shopping around for indigo too.

Until now, I have bought henna from Mehandi and Henna Sooq, but both businesses have much to be desired with customer service and product advertisement/control. I had this long post about them, but I'll spare you the details, just to say that if you want to try their henna's they might be worth trying, except for Hennasooq's Red Raj, which is their premium henna. This is the only henna that gives me henna bleed (which should not happen since henna penetrates the hair shaft.) I think it is adulterated with some washout dye. Don't waste your money. I have used all the other henna's from both companies, and they all work just as well and don't bleed.
Old 11-06-14, 02:41 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Well, I'm sort of in between henna powders right now.
Thank you for your very helpful reply. Bookmarking and taking notes of all your suggestions.
Old 11-06-14, 10:52 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thank you for your very helpful reply. Bookmarking and taking notes of all your suggestions.
You're welcome. If you decide to try it, I usually use 50g of henna for my chin-length hair...a lot of vendors recommend twice what I would use, but it's safer to make more than you need cuz you can freeze henna and use it later. 25-33g of indigo for just the roots. I do henna one night, then indigo the next.

On the henna stage, I add 1-2T lemon juice concentrate and enough purified water to make it like thick yogurt. Some recommend using amla, but amla seems to aggravate my frizz. Let it sit covered for 2-8 hours (depending on the ambient temperature.) You can test for dye release by applying a little to the inside of your wrist for a minute then wipe off...if it leaves a bright orange mark its ready. I leave it in my hair for 2-3 hrs.

For the indigo stage do not mix in advance and use only water. I buy alkaline water to use as it seems to help. Mix just what you will use cuz it doesn't freeze. I leave it in my hair for 1-1.5 hrs. After I wash out, I oil my wet hair, to wash out the next morning.

Good luck, and let use know what you decide/how it goes.

Tags
going gray, going grey, gray hair, grey hair, hair, off topic