Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-13, 05:17 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
I've never figured out, though, how to wear it doing floorwork on my back--either weights on a bench, or crunches. The lump of hair on the back of my head really gets in the way. Does anyone have tips for that? For Classical Stretch, I can wear a looser bun and just yank it down for floorwork, but not in more intense workouts when I need it really clipped in place.
I have this same problem because not only do I have a lump of hair on the back of my head, I also have a large clip. What I do is keep a towel handy. I fold it up and use it under my head/neck area. It keeps my upper head off the ground/bench just enough that I'm not laying on all that hair and the clip. I am usually sweating so much I can't bear the thought of letting my hair down.

If I'm doing crunches, I usually just keep my head from hitting the ground.
Old 07-12-13, 05:28 PM  
BunnyHop

In terms of temporary but stable updos way on top of the head, would a hair claw work well enough? Mine wore out years ago, and I never replaced them, but at the time they really worked well for me.

My hair's on the wimpy side of normal, so my updos don't have much weight, so I'm really not much of an expert on updos for people with lots of hair.

I'm also not much good at braiding my hair way up on the top of my head. I'd guess the braided updos you could create that way would be very stable, but I haven't got the patience to get it right.

(I've heard that subdividing the hair into different sections and making smaller buns of those can redistribute the weight and strain so things are more secure, but I don't really have enough hair to have to worry with that kind of thing, so I have no real experience with it on my own head.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 05:28 PM  
SquishyMommy

I ordered a hunnybun from OpenSky and LOVE it! It makes a nice tight bun and I just add a couple extra u-pins that I bought for my daughter when we did her hair for Prom. I had to watch the video tutorials before I could get it right, but it really is easy once you know how to do it. I also hated my ponytail hitting my sweaty back and the bun makes it so much easier.
I have very thick, wavy, layered hair that reaches my mid-back and the hunnybun tucks it all away so nicely and I don't have any strays floating around at all.
Old 07-12-13, 05:43 PM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I have this same problem because not only do I have a lump of hair on the back of my head, I also have a large clip. What I do is keep a towel handy. I fold it up and use it under my head/neck area. It keeps my upper head off the ground/bench just enough that I'm not laying on all that hair and the clip. I am usually sweating so much I can't bear the thought of letting my hair down.

If I'm doing crunches, I usually just keep my head from hitting the ground.
That's a great idea to use a towel when lying down! I'll have to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
In terms of temporary but stable updos way on top of the head, would a hair claw work well enough? Mine wore out years ago, and I never replaced them, but at the time they really worked well for me.

My hair's on the wimpy side of normal, so my updos don't have much weight, so I'm really not much of an expert on updos for people with lots of hair.

I'm also not much good at braiding my hair way up on the top of my head. I'd guess the braided updos you could create that way would be very stable, but I haven't got the patience to get it right.

(I've heard that subdividing the hair into different sections and making smaller buns of those can redistribute the weight and strain so things are more secure, but I don't really have enough hair to have to worry with that kind of thing, so I have no real experience with it on my own head.)
I've tried clipping up the bottom of my ponytail with a jaw clip, but it wasn't sturdy enough. Subdividing the hair might be a good solution, but I know that I'm personally lazy and might not spend time doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyMommy View Post
I ordered a hunnybun from OpenSky and LOVE it! It makes a nice tight bun and I just add a couple extra u-pins that I bought for my daughter when we did her hair for Prom. I had to watch the video tutorials before I could get it right, but it really is easy once you know how to do it. I also hated my ponytail hitting my sweaty back and the bun makes it so much easier.
I have very thick, wavy, layered hair that reaches my mid-back and the hunnybun tucks it all away so nicely and I don't have any strays floating around at all.
Oh, that's a great idea! I bought a similar bun donut awhile back, and had thought about using it when I saw that several of the Dream Body instructors had a similar bun in place. Does it pull on your hair too much while working out? That might be the perfect solution!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 08:06 PM  
PrairieGem

My mesh bun doughnut makes a bun that's too large for my hair to be practical/comfortable when working out, and it ends up standing out too far from the back of my head. It is, however, much more attractive than my Pebbles 'do, I'll give you that. LOL

You can use the top of a sock to get similar results--but I discovered it's just as effective on my hair to simply use a ponytail holder in place of the doughnut. The bun is much smaller, but it doesn't throw off my center of gravity as much. LOL

One way to use up extra volume before you get to the bun, so there's less in the ponytail to deal with wrapping/clipping/etc, is to twist the sides of it back along your face. I do that all the time as an everyday hairstyle; I start up near my forehead and twist it really snug. It's really quick to do, and if doing all your hair at once tends to slip, you can twist it back in sections and clip them along the way. I do mine when my hair is wet and it stays all day, but YMMV depending on your hair texture! (eg, my hair won't do this style when it's dry--it just untwists immediately!)
Old 07-13-13, 07:59 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
My mesh bun doughnut makes a bun that's too large for my hair to be practical/comfortable when working out, and it ends up standing out too far from the back of my head. It is, however, much more attractive than my Pebbles 'do, I'll give you that. LOL

You can use the top of a sock to get similar results--but I discovered it's just as effective on my hair to simply use a ponytail holder in place of the doughnut. The bun is much smaller, but it doesn't throw off my center of gravity as much. LOL

One way to use up extra volume before you get to the bun, so there's less in the ponytail to deal with wrapping/clipping/etc, is to twist the sides of it back along your face. I do that all the time as an everyday hairstyle; I start up near my forehead and twist it really snug. It's really quick to do, and if doing all your hair at once tends to slip, you can twist it back in sections and clip them along the way. I do mine when my hair is wet and it stays all day, but YMMV depending on your hair texture! (eg, my hair won't do this style when it's dry--it just untwists immediately!)
I like the idea of twisting back the front of your hair! I might try this today, along with the donut/sock bun. We'll see how it goes!
Old 07-13-13, 08:37 AM  
rosepetals

I start off by brushing my hair back and dividing it in the middle of the head. On each side of my head I made two braids or twists which I wrap back towards my head like a crown meeting where a pony tail would meet. I clip each one back with tiny goody clips. It keeps any hair from slipping out around my face. I hate escaped wispy ticklers distracting me. This works to tame it.

Then I gather the hair including the braids into a ponytail. I braid or do a double twist down the back. It holds tight. If I am super hot I will make that up into a bun. It works even better if you use a styling gell to keep things glued together, but unless I am at the beach, I usually don't use gell. It holds for me all day.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 09:25 AM  
seabliss

I forgot that I usually do what furmom does too, ending the ponytail with a half-pulled through loop. My hair is too thick and heavy to put in a bun while working out. It hurts and falls down. The loop is quick and works for me! Then with the toothed headband, all my hair is back.

If you put your hair in a ponytail first and then braid the ponytail, that will really keep it off your back. I just don't want to take the time!
Old 07-13-13, 09:31 AM  
LeanneM

Thanks for all the great tips that keep on coming!

For those who pull their hair half-way through to create a loop, what do you use to hold your hair? A hair elastic? Does it pull too much? I always wind up with a sensitive, hurting scalp if I use a too-tight elastic!
Old 07-13-13, 09:34 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

How about this classic hairstyle? It stays in place, even during laser battles with Darth Vader:

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair, hairstyle