Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-13, 11:42 AM  
marmact

I think the trick is to use a regular rubber hair band and not a scrunchie, since the latter doesn't really have much hold to it. My hair is shoulder length and drives me to distraction if it touches me when I'm working out, LOL. I do the partial bun thing (loop into a high pony but don't pull the last loop all the way through) and use bobby pins to keep the front from coming down onto my forehead. I can't wear headbands--I must have an odd-shaped head or something, but they always pop off during a workout.
Old 07-12-13, 11:56 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneM View Post
BunnyHop -- ...What brand of hair fork do you prefer? Do you wear your hair in a particular style of bun or twist when you work out? Thanks!
I've got a 60th street and a Baerreis Ursula, both three pronged, that are really reliable for rock solid updos. I have another three prong that I like more than even those, it's REALLY curved, but it's gone temporarily missing. Wish I knew where it came from, but I got it in a swap years and years ago.

I prefer my hair forks to be quite curved, I think they're more comfortable that way. Since my hair's so thin/fine I get along well with shorter lengths, my Ursula is 3 1/2", really curved in Pau Amerello (the yellow wood).

I've been making the same updo so long, I'm not sure what to call it or even which one served as the inspiration. I basically twist the base of my hair for a high-up updo, then form two loops, drawing one loop through the other to make kind of a bow. After that I wrap the length around the base and underneath the 'bows'. My length is pretty wimpy, so I don't have to cope with lots of bulk (I wish).

I think I've heard the Gibraltar is really solid, just in general terms. FWIW, I think that 4ypn0tica's youtube videos are quite good. Her hair is thicker than mine, though.

Workout-wise, I don't do anything fancy, just make a solid updo with a 3 tine fork on top of my head. For less intense stuff I just braid it and let it hang over my shoulder. That's only perilous if I wind up lying across my braid, rolling it up in the foam roller or something else. Pretty easy to avoid disaster, mostly. (It's fine for dance-y standing up workouts.)

Oh, and I never use any kind of bandanna, sweat band or Buff, they always wind up sliding off my head at an awkward moment, but then again, I workout on carpet. The extra bit of drag the carpet provides against my head (lying down on the floor) seems to be just enough to take off anything I put on.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 11:57 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

My hair is usually in the range of mid back to my waist. I use the ponytails from the grocery store. I think they are Goody brand. I use the thick ones not the skinny ones. But I do twist (not sure if that's the right word) it about three times so that it's really tight. Scrunchies would definitely not work on my hair. If I used a regular rubberband, I would have to cut it when I'm done using it. Otherwise, it would probably get tangled up in my hair when I'm trying to remove it.
Old 07-12-13, 12:07 PM  
edensmom

Yes, the thick bands, not the thin ones.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 12:12 PM  
BunnyHop

Oh, and rummaging around the internet, I found this discussion on LHC with ideas of places to look for updos, just in general.

It reminds me that I need to get out of my style rut and make the effort to create some new looks for myself. Honestly, though, one of my limitations is that any bun on the back of my head gets squished by the headrest in our car, so I'm stuck making high buns unless I know in advance that I'll be riding in another car.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 12:26 PM  
furmomof6

I didn't read all the responses so I'm not sure if anyone else suggested what I do. When I put my hair up in a pony tail, the last time I wind the band around my hair, I only pull my hair halfway through so it leaves kind of a bun/bump. My hair is a few inches past my shoulders (longer now than my TIU pic ) so I'm not sure if that would work with super long hair, but it works for me! I hope I explained it right.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 02:36 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
I didn't read all the responses so I'm not sure if anyone else suggested what I do. When I put my hair up in a pony tail, the last time I wind the band around my hair, I only pull my hair halfway through so it leaves kind of a bun/bump. My hair is a few inches past my shoulders (longer now than my TIU pic ) so I'm not sure if that would work with super long hair, but it works for me! I hope I explained it right.
I do the same thing and my hair is your length [my avatar is a year old]. Sometimes I have to add a few heavy bobby pins or clips to the sides of the bun/bump, if I'm running or doing high-impact work. (*Bookmarking this thread for six months from now, as I want to keep growing my hair and I'll need tips to keep it up...)

I shudder looking at workouts when the participants are flinging around their unbound hair. The itchy/ticklish feel of hair on my sweaty face, neck, back or shoulders makes me nutso.
Old 07-12-13, 03:16 PM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
I do this too.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 03:45 PM  
PrairieGem

I LOVE THIS THREAD!! I swear, watching workout videos with the instructors' hair just in ponytails, I thought I was the only weird one who could not stand to have any movement in my hair or loose strands touching me *anywhere*.

My hair is mid-back (I always think it's shorter than it really is LOL), very curly, and acts a lot thicker than it is.

I do almost exactly this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
1. Put my head band (Gem says: I use a thick knit "alice band"--remember these?) over and down onto my neck first.
2.put my hair into a ponytail, but on the last loop I leave my hair halfway through
3. Pull my head band up to secure my hair more around my forehead
4. I also (overkill maybe) use about 6 little clips an inch or 2 above the headband (from the top of one ear to the other) in case any hair comes out of the partial ponytail.
5. Final step hairspray.
...But instead of the little clips and hairspray, I have these fabulous big Vidal Sassoon "Sure Grip Clix" that are amazing. Two of them will hold my hair up all day long, by themselves. I clip the ends of my ponytail up into this horribly embarrassing Pebbles updo. LOL Awful, but it holds.

(I am *ecstatic* to discover other women actually sport this hairstyle, too! LOL)

I've never figured out, though, how to wear it doing floorwork on my back--either weights on a bench, or crunches. The lump of hair on the back of my head really gets in the way. Does anyone have tips for that? For Classical Stretch, I can wear a looser bun and just yank it down for floorwork, but not in more intense workouts when I need it really clipped in place.
Old 07-12-13, 05:03 PM  
LeanneM

Thanks for all the WONDERFUL tips, ladies! Who knew that we had so many ways to wear our hair?! How funny, too, that so many of us hate the feel of hair on our sweaty skin while working out! I've always wondered how the people in the videos do it!

I tried the braided bun today, but it kept falling out, even when I used my headband to secure it. I picked up another package of Goody Spin Pins this afternoon when I was running errands, though, and hope that the extra ones will help.

Yeah, the sleep cap is so goofy, but the satin lining helps protect my hair, which otherwise gets really tangly and gnarly. My poor husband has gotten used to some of my silly shenanigans by now, though!

I've tried doing the half-pull-through thing before, but my hair is a bit too long for it. I ordered a few France Luxe clips earlier today, though, so may try to do it with those since it'll feel more secure.

Has anyone tried Blax brand elastics? I'd seen them recommended in several magazines, and they really do work well with no pulling out of your hair. (I found them on Amazon.) I don't know why I haven't been wearing them for my workouts; they definitely should work better than the Scrunchies I've been using!

Bunnyhop, thank you SO much for the tips on the hair forks! I remember looking on LHF a few months ago for tips on working out, but everyone just said to do a high bun, and that wasn't working for me. I've checked out 4ypn0tica's videos before and have loved them, but totally forgot to check them out again! Thanks for the reminder!

PrairieGem, I love the Pebbles look! LOL! Like you, I also struggle with that dang bump on the back of my head if I put my hair up! There are certain workouts that have you on your back at times, and I hate that I can't put my head down flat. I've tried a super-high bun, but that also doesn't work. Ugh! I'd love tips for this problem, too!

I love all the great tips on this thread!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair, hairstyle