Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-13, 10:58 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

LeanneM - The clips I use are all by France Luxe. I love that brand!
Old 07-12-13, 11:01 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
LeanneM - The clips I use are all by France Luxe. I love that brand!
Thanks, Jennifer! I love France Luxe, too! They're expensive, but so worth it since they hold up so well!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 11:13 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
My hair is mid back, too. I use a metal clip barrette that can hold all of my hair. I then pull my hair back as if I am going to put it in a ponytail. Then I grab the ends of my ponytail and group it up with my ponytail (in essence doubling up my ponytail so that it is much shorter in length and all of the ends are clipped up instead of hanging free). Then I put it all in the clip. It won't look fancy, but it holds my hair in place and keeps it off my neck. Hope that description makes sense. It takes me 2 seconds to do it and is very fuss-free.
I do the same thing with a large clip. I pull it back like it's going to be a pony tail, but then twist it until I can get the base of it in the clip. The excess hair sticks out of the top of the clip on top of my head. (My hair is curly, so it looks like a curly bun on top of my head.) I absolutely cannot stand one single strand of hair to hit my shoulders, neck or back. It drives me to distraction. I don't see how women run with pony tails swinging behind their head, hitting their shoulders, neck and back. It's just my issue obviously, but the clip does the trick.
Old 07-12-13, 11:20 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I do the same thing with a large clip. I pull it back like it's going to be a pony tail, but then twist it until I can get the base of it in the clip. The excess hair sticks out of the top of the clip on top of my head. (My hair is curly, so it looks like a curly bun on top of my head.) I absolutely cannot stand one single strand of hair to hit my shoulders, neck or back. It drives me to distraction. I don't see how women run with pony tails swinging behind their head, hitting their shoulders, neck and back. It's just my issue obviously, but the clip does the trick.
Thanks, Jeanne! I'll try this, too. I hate my hair hitting me, too -- the sensation drives me nuts!
Old 07-12-13, 11:25 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneM View Post
I've had really short hair (mostly in a pixie cut) my entire adult life, but have spent the last three years growing it out so that it's now almost to my mid-back. When I work out, though, it seems like a ponytail just doesn't cut it!
I've spent 2.5 years growing out a super-short pixie cut I had for over 15 years. We've trimmed it a lot so it is still just shoulder length. I can put it in a ponytail. I can't wait until it is long enough to braid!

The longer hair looks nice on me, but it is a total PITA. My hair is fine like a spider's web and always gets into my eyes and face.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 11:30 AM  
edensmom

This is a problem for me too. I have waist length thick hair. Have to go with the suggestion for the braided bun. I do a lot of jump rope and a regular bun falls out after just a couple mins. A braid first then twisted into a bun is best for me. I often sleep with my hair in a braid too since there is so much of it and the bonus is the pretty waves when you take it out.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 11:30 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I've spent 2.5 years growing out a super-short pixie cut I had for over 15 years. We've trimmed it a lot so it is still just shoulder length. I can put it in a ponytail. I can't wait until it is long enough to braid!

The longer hair looks nice on me, but it is a total PITA. My hair is fine like a spider's web and always gets into my eyes and face.
Isn't it fun to have longer hair after having it short for so long?! Alta, have you seen the Small Things Blog? She has wonderful hair styles for shoulder-length hair. I've had a lot of fun trying out new styles, but do tend to favor messy buns and ponytails a bit too much.
Old 07-12-13, 11:31 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
This is a problem for me too. I have waist length thick hair. Have to go with the suggestion for the braided bun. I do a lot of jump rope and a regular bun falls out after just a couple mins. A braid first then twisted into a bun is best for me. I often sleep with my hair in a braid too since there is so much of it and the bonus is the pretty waves when you take it out.
Thanks for the tip about the braided bun! I think that that is the style I'll try out this morning for my workout. What do you secure the bun with?

I usually sleep in a sleep cap (my poor hubby!), but occasionally try to sleep with it in a braid.
Old 07-12-13, 11:32 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneM View Post
Thanks, Jeanne! I'll try this, too. I hate my hair hitting me, too -- the sensation drives me nuts!
Oh, and I forgot to mention that some really good clips are made by "Scunci". They call them "No slip grip clips". There is a silicone coating on the inside of the clip that holds your hair in place and keeps it from slipping out of the clip. These are the only clips I can wear because my hear is so thick and heavy. The grip works great!
Old 07-12-13, 11:35 AM  
edensmom

Leanne, I use a rubber band. One on the end of the braid, another to secure. Pins tend to slip out for me with the jumping.
A sleep cap is cute! I can imagine what my DH would say if I sported one.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair, hairstyle