Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-13, 12:08 PM  
F1mom

I gave up trying to deal with longer hair and recently lopped my ponytail off to a bunny tail. It's made a huge difference in how long it takes to maintain, how much product I use and how hot I get working out. When it's down I have an a-line bob.

Now I pull it back into a scrunchie then wet and air dry after working out. It's dry in about 30 minutes. Before I cut it my hair took 3 to 3.5 hours to dry and was still sometimes damp underneath.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 01:25 PM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandmom View Post
I have locks also (though not as long as yours) and I used my Bondi Band for the first time yesterday. It soaked up all of the sweat out of my head. Here's the website:

http://www.bondiband.com/
Those look awesome, if I had shorter loc's I'll use this instead...think I'll pass this imfor on to other loc lovers
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 01:57 PM  
Snuckles

I'm natural and gave up straight hair long, long, long ago. I typically wear twist and/or my hair in a bun or french roll. The only time I really worry about sweating out my hair is when I'm wearing a twist out or flat twist out. But then, I'd just retwist my hair at night to reset it for the next day.

I don't think I'd spend my $ on this product. I think this product is after a different market, it's after those that prefer to wear their hair straight.
Old 05-22-13, 02:19 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I've found a couple of styling sprays for curly hair that I can scrunch into dry hair to sort of reshape the curls (Curls brand, which is at Sally's Beauty Supply and Shea Moisture Curl Spray). My hair doesn't get sweaty when I workout unless I do something really intense.

Sherry
Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to try these. Most of my workouts (and runs) are sweat intense, but not always. It sounds like these styling sprays might work well for me in those cases!
Old 05-22-13, 02:22 PM  
boukilisa

My hair is relaxed and breaks off because of the sweating even though i wash and condition regularly. I wish there was a band that could help hair stay dry. I've been looking at the Bondiband. I was hoping that it could wick moisture away from the hair. I still can't tell from reviews if it does that or not.
Old 05-22-13, 02:26 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukilisa View Post
My hair is relaxed and breaks off because of the sweating even though i wash and condition regularly. I wish there was a band that could help hair stay dry. I've been looking at the Bondiband. I was hoping that it could wick moisture away from the hair. I still can't tell from reviews if it does that or not.
Boukilisa, do you know with certainty that the sweating is causing your hair breakage? I have severe breakage in the back and your comment has me wondering if that is my problem, too. I sweat so much in my head, that my hair is drenched. I wonder if I need to condition more (right now, it's only once a week.)
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 02:46 PM  
boukilisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
Boukilisa, do you know with certainty that the sweating is causing your hair breakage? I have severe breakage in the back and your comment has me wondering if that is my problem, too. I sweat so much in my head, that my hair is drenched. I wonder if I need to condition more (right now, it's only once a week.)
It's definitely the sweating. My stylist is doing deep conditioners on my hair to reverse the damage. About twice a year I get an Aphogee reconstructor to help strengthen it. I also never use heat it in myself. i let the stylist do a light roller set every two weeks. If it starts to look ratchet between stylists I pull it back into a bun.

Black hair is very fragile especially when it's wet. It breaks easily. It also takes a long time to recover and grow back. Sometimes it can take years. It's a very complicated cultural and emotional issue for most black women. I hope nobody thinks this is just an issue of choosing to look good over health and fitness.
Old 05-22-13, 02:55 PM  
sherry7899

Jeanne Marie-here are the products:

http://www.soap.com/p/shea-moisture-...la&cagpspn=pla

You can find it cheaper at Walgreens or Target.

This is the one from Sally's Beauty Supply:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/lavish-cu...l?cm_vc=SEARCH

I find they work better if I dampen my hair just a bit with water, spray the product on my hands, scrunch in gently, and then diffuse for a minute.

ETA: I saw that Sally's now sells Shea Moisture products also-I did not know that! I hope they put them on sale.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 03:07 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukilisa View Post

Black hair is very fragile especially when it's wet. It breaks easily. It also takes a long time to recover and grow back. Sometimes it can take years. It's a very complicated cultural and emotional issue for most black women. I hope nobody thinks this is just an issue of choosing to look good over health and fitness.
Oh, trust me. I know very well. I am beginning to fear that my sweaty workouts are the root (no pun intended) of my hair problems. I love working out and what it does for my health and appearance, so stopping the workouts is not an option.

I am going to have my stylist start doing deep conditioning. We have also decided to stop the relaxers to see if that helps. Not sure that it will, but I'm willing to try everything at this point.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 03:15 PM  
boukilisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
Oh, trust me. I know very well. I am beginning to fear that my sweaty workouts are the root (no pun intended) of my hair problems. I love working out and what it does for my health and appearance, so stopping the workouts is not an option.

I am going to have my stylist start doing deep conditioning. We have also decided to stop the relaxers to see if that helps. Not sure that it will, but I'm willing to try everything at this point.
I agree with you. I love being fitter and stronger too. I don't plan to stop working out but I'm really struggling with hair issues. I tried to go natural a couple of times but my hair thinned out so bad during the transition (I tried twist-outs and braids) that I lost my nerve and went back to relaxing. My hair seemed like it recovered a bit with a lot of TLC. But it hasn't been the same since I became a lot more active. I pull it up into a topknot when I work out and wear a paper strip around my edges to keep them straight. A wicking band that could keep my hair dry would be a miracle.

Tags
hair, natural hair