Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-13, 02:14 PM  
jessicavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
here's something very affordable on amazon:

Stay On Satin Natural Style Wrapping Cloth
I use something very similar to wrap my hair for bed but I've never used one to workout in. I always thought it would be counterproductive b/c it would make my head hot and sweaty. I figured it would cause more damage to my hair when I try to style it after the "wet duck" look I'd have from the sweat on the nape of my neck (no, I don't shampoo after every workout, only once a week. TMI? ). I have used the mesh wrap below sporadically for workouts. I actually got it to wrap my hair when I'm drying it after I shampoo. It kinda smoothes out the nape area, which is cut very low. I prefer using a hooded dryer b/c my hair comes out less frizzy than using a blow dryer. Sometimes I just wrap my hair and put on the mesh and let my hair air dry. If it's close to bedtime, I put on the mesh and cover it with a satin scarf and go to bed. So are you guys saying wrapping a satin scarf around your hair keeps it from getting damaged during workouts?

http://www.sallybeauty.com/head-wrap...l?cm_vc=SEARCH
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 02:41 PM  
bubbles76

I don't see how this can work on naturally curly, African American hair (like mine). I mean, no more than a regular silk scarf or headband. All it does is keep the hair out of your face. Can it reach down to my scalp and soak up the sweat? If so, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone please enlighten me?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 02:43 PM  
sherry7899

bubbles, I was wondering the same thing. I am caucasian with curly hair. I have to put my hair in a ponytail to exercise. I can't stand having it on my neck. Any day I exercise, I have to wet down, condition and use styling products and then diffuse, which is such a pain. I wish there was way to keep my hair so I wouldn't have to do that whole process. Once I've had my hair up, it looks horrible when I've taken it out of the ponytail.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 02:47 PM  
F1mom

Unless it magically wicks sweat away so it ends up on the outside of the band, I'll pass.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 02:55 PM  
Demeris

It looks lots like something my mother wore (60's, early 70s) over her salon 'do at night. It was pink and some kind of foamy fabric. She wrapped it around the back of her head and tied it right at the brow line. It kept her salon 'do perfect for days.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 03:40 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
bubbles, I was wondering the same thing. I am caucasian with curly hair. I have to put my hair in a ponytail to exercise. I can't stand having it on my neck. Any day I exercise, I have to wet down, condition and use styling products and then diffuse, which is such a pain. I wish there was way to keep my hair so I wouldn't have to do that whole process. Once I've had my hair up, it looks horrible when I've taken it out of the ponytail.

Sherry
Exactly! I have blond hair, but it is thick and wavy and if I go thru the trouble to blow dry and flat-iron it, I am not going to do a hard workout later that day! That being said, my scalp does get oily rather quickly and I do have to shampoo every other day or put it up in the ponytail-then there is no going back after that! It would be nice to have a scarf of sorts that would wick away the sweat and keep it from wetting your hair down-kind of like a Sham-Wow! OOH-maybe we should try that!!!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 03:58 PM  
fagiles

This November, expect to see a Save Your Do infomercial and save your do, and quite possibly your life.

Really, an infomercial on a head scarf. That should be interesting. I am African American and it looks like an updated version of a do-rag but for women. I keep my natural hair cut very short, less than an inch which eliminates issues with costly hairstyles, sweaty hair, or rain.

It probably works very well for some but I can't stand anything covering my head including hair

felecia
fagiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 04:23 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicavi View Post
I always thought it would be counterproductive b/c it would make my head hot and sweaty.
i was thinking the same thing, and even a cotton bandanna! a cotton bandanna is breathable.

i have straight hair, but i don't like it flying onto my sweaty neck.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 04:27 PM  
Calistro

I am trying to understand what it does exactly

I have naturally long wavy hair. I have not put a relaxer in it for a long time. I decided to go natural. I do struggle with working out and my hair, as it looks like a birds nest after I have finished working out.

Yes it does remind me of a do-rag or a very large headband. What is it supposed to do again?

Calistro
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 04:48 PM  
pcdoctor01

You all are cracking me up. I figured you could do the same thing with a bandana. Cheaper and you could by two or three. Seems like to me if you wear your hair in a bob or curly style, the "Do Wrap" would squash the curls.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair, natural hair