Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-10, 09:22 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I cheat... I scrunch my hair up to just behind the top of my head, gathering all that I can, then I tie it with a no damage band thingie ( I can lay on the floor for floor work and abs and not have to readjust). That way, after I shower off the sweat (avoiding my hair), I take my hair down and it has some body to it, instead of being stringy and ugly.
I feel I can walk out in public and not have sweaty plastered hair or rubber band marks in my hair.
I HATE hair in my face, so I'm a terminal pull it back-er. I also... confession time... still use headbands to keep my hair away from my face when I wear it down.
I know I look like I'm 13 when I do that, but man, I hate hair too close to my face!!!
Yeah, me, too, Buzzer. Except looking 13.

I don't not wash for body of the hair, I don't wash to keep it less frizzy.

If I washed my hair every time I got sweaty here in the ATL, I would have six frizzy hairs left. It also drives my scalp crazy to shampoo every day.

I will even go so far as to say (Hilary Clinton's issues be darned, for those of you old enough to remember) I just really like the way my hair falls when I wear a headband. I use tortoise shell of this great plastic that I have only found at Kohl's and I really really really like them and the way they hold my hair. The tortoise shell is the same color as my hair so it just blends in.
Anyway, no one has told me I look ridiculous, and they would, so I am standing by my headbands.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 09:25 AM  
EllieE

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Well, that's a good point! But you said you wear your hair down too; I know some women with long hair who never seem to wear it down.

Anyway, I was just curious--sorry to get OT!
That's me! Actually, when I had short hair, there was so much more maintainence involved- I had to wash it every morning before work, blow dry, then style it, then remember to get it cut every 4-6 weeks. What a pain. Oh, and when I had bad hair days, I had no recourse. With long hair, it's pretty much wash and go- when it doubt get the hair tie out! My hair is healthier because I don't blow dry or use product very often, but I do tie it up all the time because I hate having hair in my face. Plus, with the work I do, sometimes it better to have it out of the way.

If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
EllieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 09:26 AM  
imhere2dance

My hair is long and thick. I don't have bangs but I have some wispies (baby hairs), so I wear a cloth headband. This also helps to keep my hair from getting wet. Then I pull my hair back into a high ponytail so it stays off my neck and out of my face. I can't stand having hair in my way.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 09:27 AM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy T View Post
When my hair was past my shoulders I would put it in pigtails and then either pin up the tails or secure them into another hair elastic to make 2 nubs. I like air at the back of my head; it keeps me so much cooler, plus if I lie down I am not laying on a ponytail bump.

:
Ooh, another good idea! It amazes me how UN-creative I am at coming up with ideas. This thread has been great!

Ali and Suze, I do agree with you -- if it's a trade-off between some damage and not keeping my hair out of my face when I work out, then I have to settle for some damage. But, I do think I can reduce the amount!

I also like the headband idea that several of you have mentioned -- though, I think I'll go for soft!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 12:22 PM  
ADoll

My hair is down to my waist and I wear an elastic ponytail. I also have to wear one when I go to work (work in the NICU). I feel like I'm losing more hair doing this. Luckily, I have thick hair but I'm tempted to cut my hair shorter.
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 12:52 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
Anyway, no one has told me I look ridiculous, and they would, so I am standing by my headbands.
I'm a big fan of headbands. I wear them all the time....however, my other alternatives are tucking my chin-length hair behind my ears or up in a barrette, so it's not like I'm really making any fashion sacrifices by wearing headbands, LOL.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 03:17 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

When my hair was longer, I would braid it which worked pretty well. Now it's shorter and a standard ponytail works for me (Unless I'm doing a lot of floor work, then I do pigtails)

In either case, I always fold a bandana into a long strip and tie it like a headband. I like it because it's wider and holds all the wispys off my face.

I saw this posted in a long hair forum once and always thought it might be nice - it's a surgical cap with a cloth to hold up the length of your hair.

http://sparklingearth.com/products.asp?category=100027

I suspect having my whole head covered might get to hot, but I'm not sure - it still might be more comfortable than dealing with all that hair (when I had it), and I always thought it would be fabulous for bike riding.

As to the question of why have long hair if you're just going to wear it up all the time? Well, because braids, ponytails and buns are perfectly viable and attractive hairstyles, that's why.

I always wear my hair tied back in one form or the other - having it touch my neck drives me insane and makes me toss my head so much, I get headaches. Even short so it's at ear-level still tickles and touches, so I can either get it cut VERY short, like a pixie cut, or I can wear it up. I tend to prefer the wear it up option because then I have a few different styles I can choose from.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair, long hair